Scumbag Makes Good

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

kevinkirby

Scumbag Makes Good

Postby kevinkirby » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:11 pm

Wow, I only missed twelve guesses about this year's Oscar outcome. Since the only selection I actually saw was Iron Man, perhaps I got more right than statistics should allow. But as for the big winner of that evening, sadly I passed up on two different occasions to attend free preview screenings.

I was right about the Academy's top dog in two categories, however.

So anyway, imagine the reaction here, over a huge overseas hit about typical American crumb-bums in the seedy flop-house environments that exist a mere step up from total homelessness. The title: "Scumbag Makes Good" -- and riots ensue all across Middle America, as a film purporting to show the true realities of life in the U.S., in amazing detail, sweeps the big awards at Berlin and Cannes.

The film in question, which provided entire days of paid employment to dozens of "actual" down-on-your-luck types, portrays the events surrounding one lucky stiff after he receives an unexpected inheritance. A colorful cast of the typical junkies, gangs, dealers, prostitutes, cop-stitutes, slimeballs and shady plainclothes guys all combine to offer a splendid realization of the true underbelly of the former English colonies.

Such a spectace!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:18 pm

Kevin -
Not sure you noticed, but those self-same former English colonial junkies, gangs, dealers, prostitutes, cop-stitutes, slimeballs and shady plainclothes guys have been seriously celebrating the film's win.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

kevinkirby

Postby kevinkirby » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:17 pm

But would the slumdogs of India be celebrating the big win of a similar, uplifting tale of modern American shitbirds?

Anyway, are the enraged Hindi still tearing down the movie's posters over in Vendhya?

NYK007

Postby NYK007 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:21 am

Hi guys,

As a newly registered user I like to say hi to everyone who uses this forum. I am a newbie to this forum. I am NYK from Canada. I am glad to join your wonderful forum. Thanks to Ellison and Susan for making this wonderful forum.

NYK
Drug Intervention Minnesota

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:00 am

NYK007 wrote:Hi guys,

As a newly registered user I like to say hi to everyone who uses this forum. I am a newbie to this forum. I am NYK from Canada. I am glad to join your wonderful forum. Thanks to Ellison and Susan for making this wonderful forum.

NYK
Drug Intervention Minnesota

Welcome to the Forums, NYK!

Looking forward to your participation. I should note that Harlan rarely comes here, and I don't believe Susan does at all. This neck of the woods is the creation of the large group of miscreants who visit it, yourself included.

Let me know if I can be of services, and let me recommend that you hop on over to the Webderlanders threads and introduce yourself properly.

Glad to have in the Monkey House.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 04, 2009 8:37 am

New guy, what's with that drug thing at the bottom?

Legalize them, right? Kiss.

Lori Koonce

Re:

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:34 pm

FrankChurch wrote:New guy, what's with that drug thing at the bottom?

Legalize them, right? Kiss.

Only if you happen to provide much more in the way of affordable rehab.

Not everyone who uses drugs acutally wants to be doing it, they do call it an adiction for a reason ya know.

Return to “Pop Culture”