All Just Fodder for Youtube

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

kevinkirby

All Just Fodder for Youtube

Postby kevinkirby » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:07 pm

I don't know who's supposed to be in charge of copyright violations at Youtube. I know that some videos get spotted and "pulled off the air" for including certain things; yet, even so, a lot of concert material appears to remain indefinitely. If live music is included in a home video, will there be less chance of a surprise visit from the artist police?

Fortunately for my youtube experimentation, a win98 cd-rom of royalty-free music clips turned up in a local 2nd-hand store a few years ago and, without any need for such material at that time, I went ahead and grabbed it. Now, it's great fun to post videos without using music clips that could come back later to haunt me.

Anybody whose been to the conventions may enjoy this nearly-10-minute edit of some digital video filmed over the 3 day weekend --

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TzFNkBLAjP ... l=US&hl=en

All included music resides in the public domain...

Donald Petersen

Postby Donald Petersen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:10 pm

Lots of companies are getting more proactive at pulling down copyrighted material on YouTube. A favorite band of mine, Rhino Bucket, has a MySpace page, with some of their old (early 90s) music videos embedded via YouTube. But when you click on them, all you get is the text "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by WMG." Yep, the band put the videos on YouTube, and linked to them via their own MySpace page.

But the band doesn't own the copyright on their videos. Jack Warner does. Bummer, huh?

kevinkirby

Constantly Monitored by Artificial Intelligence

Postby kevinkirby » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:31 pm

That "Rhino Bucket" story seems to open up a can of worms. Why would any label decide against using youtube as a promotional tool? There are many other places to post video, some presumably offering better legal terms and higher resolution.

If a video exists in youtube, it enjoys certain advantages that don't exist when viewership is culled exclusively from bare search engine results. Thousands of web/video enthusiasts swim around constantly in the youtubers' sea of ever-changing selection choices. When one limits a video to the non-youtube environment, the chances of it being randomly "stumbled upon" drop to virtually nil.

paul

Postby paul » Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:51 am

Kevin, I finally got a chance to watch your WonderCon vid (the 9:52, not the 8:29), and I have to say, you really have a knack, a feel, a whatever you want to call it, for technique. It was almost a mini-movie, a film short in the style of Godfrey Reggio.

The editing, the juxtaposition of image and music, or even no music at all, was really striking. For a glimpse at a what ought to be a "Good time had by all" kinda event, your reportage was both by turns humorous and sinister.

Nicely done, sir.
The medium is the message.

kevinkirby

WonderCon or DundraCon?

Postby kevinkirby » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:39 pm

paul -- I think you may be referring to the DundraCon edits. The WonderCon thing ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhFLWBhuzXo&fmt=18 ) is 8:28.

The next one will be KublaCon in May.

But back to WonderCon, Adam West talks about his Batman days in this one --

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07XWlWXF-Jg&fmt=18

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:42 pm

YouTube is a Godsend, that's all I can say.

Return to “Pop Culture”