So, what recent comics/graphic novel would YOU recommend?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Donald Petersen

Postby Donald Petersen » Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:10 pm

FWIW, most of the objections that have kept studios from following through with Preacher have been based upon the rather extreme blasphemy involved. On its deepest cosmological level, it really isn't any more blasphemous than, say, Pullman's The Amber Spyglass.

But a part of me doubts that that third installment of His Dark Materials will ever make it to the screen as well... even had The Golden Compass been more profitable. I don't think enough people have the stomach for such a treatment of Jehovah. But then again, at least Preacher was never marketed to children. Any studio who commits to making Preacher must be content with receiving a hard 'R' from the MPAA, and being satisfied with whatever limits that would impose upon the size of the audience.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Feb 11, 2009 11:26 pm

Donald Petersen wrote:On its deepest cosmological level, it really isn't any more blasphemous than, say, Pullman's The Amber Spyglass.

Spyglass was blasphemous enough for many people. Enough to get it banned in more than a few school boards, including my former one.

The religious elements of the books could definitely be toned down for film - Angels and Gods could be demoted to just "otherworldly beings" or something, but that wouldn't stop the picketers. Association would be enough.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Thu Feb 12, 2009 8:43 am

For an interesting treatment of old material, I'd recommend Lex Luthor, Man of Steel. It's a look at the world of Superman through Luthor's eyes. He sees himself as the good guy, protecting the Earth from an alien menace, even when he does things worthy of Benjamin Linus. Whenever Superman shows up, he's seen as a forbidding figure with glowing red eyes.

As our family cat, Sirdar once showed me, sometimes things look more interesting upside-down.

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:43 am

I would highly recommend Alan Moore's Ballad of Halo Jones. It first appeared in 2000AD years ago, probably something like 25 years ago though I am uncertain. It was a wonderful story, clever and inventive. The artwork was wonderful, perfectly capturing a dystopian future society where unemployed people are shunted into a ghetto on a floating hoop off the coast of Manhatten. The complete story is available from Titan Books and I have it, though it may be out of print. Ebay would be the best place to look.

JohnPacer

Postby JohnPacer » Sun Feb 22, 2009 1:41 am

Preacher is out of control. I don't wanna say it goes too far, but it definitely goes over the top. Not much else like it in comics. It has a couple of slow spots, but when it's on, it is on.

I would also recommend Y: The Last Man.

paul

Postby paul » Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:50 pm

I'll quadruple everyone who commends Preacher, (Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon). Simply amazing.

Death: The High Cost of Living and Death: The Time of Your Life - Neil Gaiman, Chris Bachalo and Mark Buckingham.
Based on characters from the Sandman series, these are stand-alone stories, and damned if I didn't cry just a bit at the end of Time of Your Life. A-plus writing.

This will be going back a bit more than a decade-- however:

beautiful stories for ugly children- Dave Louapre & Dan Sweetman, a finite series. I was hooked from the first book I read, which was the life story of a man who was born in, lived in, and eventually died in, an electric chair. From the makers of A Cotton Candy Autopsy. I know, I know. Really. It's subtle but poignant.

1993, a DC/Vertigo book called Mercy by J.M. DeMatteis & Paul Johnson.
Life, death, love, loss, a man in a coma, his memories, and the simplest, profound sentiment to end it with. Splendid writing and story; intense art.

I need to check out Y: TLM. I've heard nothing but good about it.
The medium is the message.

kevinkirby

Postby kevinkirby » Sat Feb 28, 2009 10:44 am

It wouldn't surprise me if a screenplay for Halo Jones isn't already circulating.

Those Kabuki books have a polished look; I brought one home the library and returned it, without actually reading.

You know what I'd recommend? Those Rick Geary things, about various historical figures, really impressed.

lynn

Re: So, what recent comics/graphic novel would YOU recommend?

Postby lynn » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:01 am

We loved the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen at first, but the last 2 trades went completely off the rails, and I don't think we'll be continuing with it.

I highly recommend Rex Mundi, 30 Days of Night, Wormwood, Hellboy and its various offshoots, Y: The Last Man, Walking Dead, Age of Bronze, Northlanders, and my particular favorite, Locke and Key. Haven't seen Preacher, but based on the recommendations I read here, will have to check it out.

Return to “Pop Culture”