Digital TV Conversion

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

kevinkirby

Awesome

Postby kevinkirby » Wed Feb 18, 2009 4:04 pm

Great Job!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:26 pm

*sigh*

Is it me, or have we become a nation that is bending over backwards (or forwards depending on your analogy) to accommodate people who don't feel like acting responsibly.

It's as if the country just doesn't want to deal with consequences.

Isn't that precisely why the economy's in a meltdown? Irresponsible behavior demanding rescue from the consequences of that behavior???

Meanwhile, those of us who acted in good faith are being handed the bill.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:40 pm

Barber wrote:*sigh*

Is it me, or have we become a nation that is bending over backwards (or forwards depending on your analogy) to accommodate people who don't feel like acting responsibly.

Isn't that precisely why the economy's in a meltdown? Irresponsible behavior demanding rescue from the consequences of that behavior???

steve,
careful man,that sounds like the ravings of a right wing republican baby eating psychopath.

follow your bliss

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:55 pm

cynic wrote:careful man,that sounds like the ravings of a right wing republican baby eating psychopath.

Well, except for the fact that so very many of the people responsible for this economic mess (and asking for handouts) have traditionally been Republicans.

But it has nothing to do with politics, it has to do with individual responsibility.

The banks (and mortgage companies) who overly relied upon sub-prime mortgages ought to collapse.

The people (buyers) who should never have bought a house because they couldn't afford it ought to lose that house.

The people (realtors) who knew their clients could never afford the adjusted rates but sold them the house anyway ought to bear the brunt of the bailout.

When there is a systemic failure of this magnitude those who are responsible for it should be the ones to pay the price, not the rest of us.

When Bernie Ebbers stole my 401K plan I did not ask the government to replace the monies.

When the tech meltdown of the early 00s robbed me of my fortune I did not ask for a bailout.

I have a tv set that picks up digital, and did not need to wait until I got a $40 check from the government to let me buy a new TV.

I would rather have spent that $40 buying insurance for a kid in the midwest who needs braces instead of a new TV for someone who, frankly, needs to pry the money from their wallet or do without.

It's neither Republican nor Democrat to think that if you cannot afford a luxury, don't buy it.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

cynic

Postby cynic » Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:56 pm

Barber wrote:*sigh*

i agreed with this initial post wholeheartedly,but i need to offer my skew on your last

in the past ,hand ups have been a democratic staple

sadly,some reps.have jumped on that wagon

life is indeed all about individual responsibility

the well intentioned push towards sub-prime loans via fannie and freddie were a democratic attempt to realize an american dream ,and some reps attempt to regulate it were denied.

that fueled the realestate bubble that in this end have mainly benefited banks and realestate agents

good luck getting that money back.

forgive my lame joke,you are certainly not psychopathic,even though you may be liberal.

individual responsibility IS tough love.

Donald Petersen

Postby Donald Petersen » Wed Feb 18, 2009 8:35 pm

Personally, I can't see why the transition should be delayed. So a couple million people won't miss next week's American Idol?

Hey, when the signal craps out for good, maybe someone will pick up a magazine instead, or walk the dog, or stimulate the economy by finally dragging their lazy ass out to Radio Shack to pick up the goddamned converter.

Wow... I do feel all Republican now!

...creepy... :shock:

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Feb 18, 2009 10:38 pm

cynic wrote:the well intentioned push towards sub-prime loans via fannie and freddie were a democratic attempt to realize an american dream ,and some reps attempt to regulate it were denied.

Mike, this muddies the historical record. You've got it almost exactly backwards.

The legislation that permitted the loans was approved by a Republican Congress and a Dem President. Then, in the early 00s the Republican Congress and President dropped the regulatory oversight for most practical purposes. The Republicans never made any serious attempt to regulate the loans -- and, as is demonstrable through the public record -- actually made enforcement more difficult.

Yes, I know, Rush and Company blame Clinton -- it's unfortunate that the public record doesn't agree with them. Yeah, Clinton signed the Republican-originated law in place, but it took the Bush Administration's "other cheek" to do the real regulatory damage.

(Seriously, I tried to be non-partisan to start, but the record is, indeed, the record and I for one can't stand historical re-writes.)

But again, I also blame all those ignorant consumers who signed the docs -- as well as the corporate types who approved the loans.

Alan Coil

Postby Alan Coil » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:40 am

Many people were duped into thinking they would be able to afford those home loans. Ignorant people are usually easier to dupe. With the Reich Wing's constant push against intellectualism, to the point that many people today think they don't need an education, it's no surprise that there are so many ignorant people in the good old USA.

Many people today are so ignorant of even simple Mathematics that they can't figure which container of product is the better value. There is just no way many people can figure out the monthly payment on a loan. Too many of them were led astray by the lenders.

Donald Petersen

Postby Donald Petersen » Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:46 pm

I think there was also a certain degree of deception wherein realtors may have pressed some buyers into taking on subprime mortgages by assuring them that when the mortgage matured to the point that the higher payments would need to kick in, the value of the house would have appreciated so much that the house would practically pay for itself. I bought my house in January 2006, just about at the top of the market. The seller had bought it in 2004, for about $250K less than I paid for it. He'd done a fair amount of renovation in the meantime, but certainly not a quarter-million dollars' worth. Had I been sucker enough to go for a subprime or interest-only mortgage, I'd be screwed. But luckily, I took a 30-year fixed, and I can (barely) afford it now just as much as I could (barely) afford it then. But I was told that the value would keep ballooning, and I was shortsighted enough to believe it. In any case, it'll be an unknowable number of years before my house is worth more than I paid for it. It's a bummer, but at least I'm not foreclosed.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:07 pm

Donald -
That's a great example. You were responsible enough not to sign for one of the subprime loans.

Again, I'll go back to my note that it's not just one group who can be blamed, it's the ignorant consumer, the deceptive loans, the realtors who should have put ethics ahead of profits, governmental laxness on enforcing basic rules of economics, and the ballooning property values that proved -- like so many pipe dreams -- to be unsustainable.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:08 pm

Yahoo! News wrote:Kill your television: Man shoots TV in DTV-fueled anger
Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:56AM EST

You suddenly find that your television, which worked fine up until February 17, is now showing nothing but static on your favorite channel. Do you:

a) Turn the TV on and off again?
b) Call the cable company and/or the local station in question to see what's up?
c) Obtain a firearm and proceed to shoot multiple holes in the TV set?

I probably needn't tell you which choice a 70-year-old Missouri man selected on Friday, after he couldn't get his DTV converter box to work. According to reports, after the Joplin resident lost his cable and fussed with the DTV box for a bit, he gave up, and eventually turned to the oldest of analog solutions -- good old-fashioned firepower -- to get the television to start working.

This in fact did not work and the man was arrested and charged with unlawful discharge of a firearm.

Additional details on the story are scarce, but Broadcasting & Cable has the inevitable conclusion to the ordeal: "According to the man's wife, he had been drinking."

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:10 pm

It's a big payoff to corporations, that's for sure. The converter boxes will make them millions.

Return to “Pop Culture”