"Tell No One" and Harlan Coben

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

David Loftus

"Tell No One" and Harlan Coben

Postby David Loftus » Sun Nov 02, 2008 1:00 am

Finally got around to seeing the French film "Tell No One" last weekend and was curious about the book (and author) that inspired it.

Is anyone here a fan of Harlan Coben? Was his book as good as the movie that was made of it, or is this one of those rare situations where a movie outshines its source material? (Man, I didn't even RECOGNIZE Kristin Scott Thomas, though she looked VAGUELY familiar.) How about his other books? Worth reading at all?

Remember, I'm not much of a genre fan -- I like GOOD WRITING. If you're talking detective noirs and police procedurals, I like material that's in the James Ellroy and Elizabeth George class. Stopped reading Robert B. Parker a number of years ago, so I don't know whether he'd still make the grade.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Return to “Pop Culture”