"the single book-size device"

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Anthony Ravenscroft

"the single book-size device"

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:05 pm

alexanderthesoso raised an interesting thought, about the utility of the Kindle reader that Amazon.com is pushing like a desperate crack dealer on a deadline.

Admittedly, the damned little boxes are selling like hotcakes on eBay, commonly fetching $350+.

Leave aside that I'm a stingy bastard & always have been. I also happen to love tech toys,

I lived 1980-1993 in the Phillips area of south Minneapolis, which was the single most dangerous Midwest chunk of land outside Chicago, & led to the New York Times calling us "Murderapolis." (Look it up.)

Further info: I'm a tall skinny white guy. And I tended to work second-shift jobs back then.

So, I'm sitting at a bus stop or riding a 21-A bus down Lake Street at like midnight, often later. I've got a beat-up paperback in my hands. Some giggling punk yanks it out of my hands & wobbles back to his buddies. Unless I need to fight for my life, I shrug & resolve to buy another copy. No biggie. Chances are, though, that the punks don't fuck with me in the first place -- tall skinny white guy, late at night, worst part of town, & he doesn't even flinch when you get in his face? Maybe he knows something, let's just get our laughs & move along. All he's got is a damn book, not even worth a dollar.

Alternate scenario. Run through the previous, but put a shiny toy in my hands that looks like it's worth a couple hundred bucks. Different outcome, probably.

It's cute, but like the BlackBerry probably a symptom (to cite Richard Pryor) of having too much money.

Return to “Pop Culture”