Getting Off On Videogames

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

kevinkirby

Getting Off On Videogames

Postby kevinkirby » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:30 pm

I must admit that, since picking up the free playstation2, I've found some pretty good games.

Like:

GLADIUS --a Lucas creation, reminiscent of that holographic game aboard the Millenium Falcon in the original Star Wars...except it's set in a world similar to Ancient Rome. A series of increasingly more challenging gladiator arenas lead finally to a series of finale faceoffs. Apparently this game didn't sell well, but the character motions lend themselves well to lots of player-controlled camera moves and zoom-outs.

BLACK -- an award winning FPS that just keeps piling on, adding exponentially more and more attackers until the player is ultimately forced back to square one, to run through the whole again with the benefit of hindsight. It's a cataclysm of incredible settings and situations.

DESTROY ALL HUMANS -- I don't have this one yet, but had a lick on a friend's old Xbox. The concept is hilarious. Players become one of those ludicrously hostile aliens from a fifties science fiction, horror movie. One starts out by levitating cows, then quickly moves on to harvesting human dna and wiping out battalions of troops. I'm not sure yet if I will get the ps2 version.

Of course, the real rage now is the guitar hero stuff on a newer console, with visuals pumping out in high definition. I hear it's very popular at some parties, but I've only ever seen it in the demo room at the sony store in the metreon.

Return to “Pop Culture”