Webderland Wine Seminar

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Peggy

Re: Webderland Wine Seminar

Postby Peggy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:29 pm

No Frank. You can't bug me that much.
"And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody..." - Robbie Seay Band, "New Day"

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:27 am

Funny that Peg should start up this thread now, as we are looking to have another wine party this summer. One, because we have not had a party in a while, and also as a celebration for my doing a 10 mile race. I do the race the morning of 7/24 and we will have the party that evening.

The theme will be unusual wines you would like others to try. We will have a couple of bottles of the Vesuvio Falanghina, maybe a Gruner, and I am not sure what reds we will try, although I have been tasting some fun malbecs lately.

Peg, thanks for the recommendation on the zin port as well as the Spanish PX. I may to look into getting a bottle of that for the party (although we have a bunch of dessert wines already, as well as a bottle of ChocVine, but hell you can never have enough dessert or icewines, right?)
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 13, 2010 10:47 pm

We went running up to the Santa Ynez Valley wine region with our friends from Australia today. For those of you unfamiliar with it, the SYV is forty five minutes or so north of Santa Barbara and is probably the third best wine growing area in the state (after Napa and Sonoma). It has some really solid drinkable wines at a very good price -- but is also now hitting the high end with some serious entries into the world-class arena. (In fact, we found out today that a new AVA has been approved for part of the valley in which Cabernet Sauvignon is thought to be able to compete with the best of Napa's champions.) The film Sideways takes place here, and as a result a number of the wineries have developed a much more global reputation.

Today we discovered -- at the behest of our friend and wine connoisseur Barry Willner (the owner of Prizzi's Piazza in Hollywood where we've dragged a couple of Webderlanders in the past) -- the new-to-us Bridlewood winery. It's been there for twelve years but, well, we've just never wandered over to that side of the highway I guess. They specialize in bottling grape combinations from vineyards throughout the Central Coast, taking advantage of a wider reach to achieve their blends, so aren't truly a solely Santa Ynez Valley winery, but they are a sample of the thinking and quality of the region..

Barry arranged for a private tasting with one of their wine experts, and we got to sample some of their best. In particular (Peg, Doug, you listening?) we loved their Viognier and several wonderful blends involving Cabernet Franc and Marsanne. In addition they have a very buttery Chardonnay made with Monterey grapes, but has just the lightest wisp of Oak (in contrast with the usual California Chardonnays in which Oak is apparently the dominant ingredient).

http://www.bridlewoodwinery.com/
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:08 pm

Steve, I am curious since I cannot access that website here at work, are you able to order any wines from that vineyard and have it shipped elsewhere? I have been enjoying a number of Viogniers recently (not a big fan of Chardonnays) and it might be fun to have one of rmy party next weekend. Let me know, you know how to reach me
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:28 pm

What's wrong with your computer, Mark? Does it not have the internet? Does it have dialup? Obviously you have free speech in the work place, right?

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:12 pm

Frank

What does free speach have to do with workplace productivity? I've worked a few places where they kept me from internet places that had nothing to do with my job, and like it or not it's legal.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:42 pm

Hey Mark. Yep, they ship within the continental US.

More details later...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:01 pm

Steve,

Central California is well known for lots of "Rhone Rangers", i.e., wineries producing Rhone varietals (viognier, marsanne are well known white varietals; grenache, syrah are red; although there is more in each). Not surprised those were enjoyable if it's a quality producer. I just finished a Rousanne, and have a Viognier in the wine fridge too. :) Virginia is becoming known for it's white rhone varietals as well. Cab Franc can be wonderful as well - I'm a fan. Big in Cali and VA is growing. Plus lots of French Cab Franc in the Loire valley.

I keep meaning to do some Central Cali tasting but the trips never seem to work out. And right now, travel is a no-no with this herniated disk. Still, one (some) day I'll make it there. I have a friend who lives Morro Bay and have been meaning to hook up with her for a while now.

Cheers
Peg
"And if you're like me, you need hope, coffee and melody..." - Robbie Seay Band, "New Day"

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:49 pm

Peggy, Very definitely. Buttonwood, Bridlewood, Firestone and (of course) Bonny Doon are excellent examples of the central valley Rhone Rangers. Randall Graham is pretty much the poster child for the movement. Should it ever become possible for you to venture into the Santa Ynez, let us know. Would love to show you around.

I agree completely on Virginia wines. Trying to convince Californians that Virginia is developing to be a producer of note is often disregarded -- kind of what the French must have said about California once upon a Cru. Their problem, not mine. I am a particular fan of Breaux and Linden Cab Franc. And Naked Mountain, though I prefer their whites -- especially their Chardonnay -- to their reds. To me Virginia actually comes closer to mimicking the more subtle Loire Valley product. The Californians are a bit more adventurous and to me have bigger fruit flavor than do their French cousins.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:19 pm

What goes good with fish?

BP.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:36 pm

FrankChurch wrote:What goes good with fish?

BP.

Ugh, no.

Too oily.

(Sorry, Peg. Yes, I worked for WorldCom. I know it well...)

Peggy

Postby Peggy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:05 pm

Steve,

Doug & I discovered Boxwood in VA a couple years back. Probably one of the best producers (red only) I've had so far. Bordeaux blends only, oddly enough, but they are delicious and excellent value for the price (<$30).

Peg

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Jul 25, 2010 5:25 pm

Peggy wrote:Doug & I discovered Boxwood in VA a couple years back. Probably one of the best producers (red only) I've had so far. Bordeaux blends only, oddly enough, but they are delicious and excellent value for the price (<$30).

Peg

I'll have to look that up. I have a Virginia distributor who will ship to California. I'll see if he has that in stock.

Just last night a friend brought a wonderful little blend to our BBQ. Apothic Red. Really nice inexpensive yet sophisticated flavor. Strong, tasty vanilla finish, which is unusual in red blends.

Gonna get me a case if I can find it.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:41 am

Gotta say, the wine party on Saturday night turned out very well. Started off with the Falangina, moved from there to a very strong grappa type drink, and things started to get a bit blurry after that. Since I was hosting the party, I tried to mingle and talk with everyone, and people kept refilling my glass for me, but as a result, I had no idea what I was drinking until we hit the dessert wines later in the evening.

One unusual wine I tried was a sparkling sake. Never had sake before, and it did not have much taste, but did have a fairly strong kick to it

Another unusual item was an alcohol infused whipped cream a buddy of mine brought over. The cream had been mixed with grain alcohol to form a combination that was both tasty and good-god strong. The whipped cream was the hit of the night, especially over the lemon-mascarpone-raspberry mix with angel food cake and the brownies with a layer of vanilla pudding topped with melted chocolate chips.

Now, we were giving a prize for the wine of the night (a wine glass that can hold a full bottle of wine), and I got up to ask the assembled crowd if they thought my buddy Eirik should receive the gift for the whipped cream he brought. Quite a few of you have spoken to me on the phone or have met me in person. As a general rule, my Philly accent is non-detectable. Apparently, I sounded like a stepped right off the corner of South Philly when I started speaking, as Karen and a number of friends gave me a ton of grief about the change in my speech patterns

A very fun night

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:11 am

Our friend Mark G: a were-Phillian who only comes out under a full glass.

Return to “Pop Culture”