Reviewing the Beatles Group

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

kevinkirby

Reviewing the Beatles Group

Postby kevinkirby » Fri Aug 03, 2007 4:32 pm

I'm trying to find a description in early '60's Ellisonia of a Beatles concert. In this piece, the foursome are described as (or, possibly, compared with) "nonpareils" -- and Harlan describes certain guitar-waving gestures as almost opening up lines of force across the attending throng.

Am I remembering an actual essay here? Can anybody provide the name of the work or the story it intros?

thanks

LarryF

Postby LarryF » Sat Aug 04, 2007 6:08 am

While I've certainly not read all of Harlan's essays, I've read most of them, and I can't recall one concerning the Beatles. He did write about a Rolling Stones concert he attended (which ended in chaos), and I believe Bill Wyman was a guest at his home for a time.

Good luck in finding this essay, and clue the rest of us in on where to find it should your search be successful.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:01 pm

Are you sure you are not talking about the piece concerning the death of John Lennon and gun control?

kevinkirby

Postby kevinkirby » Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:44 pm

Where's that one?

I'm pretty certain that the piece I'm digging up was from the sixties period and fresh from a concert site.

Scott McKinley

Postby Scott McKinley » Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:12 pm

I'm pretty sure I've not seen anything Beatly in Harlan's essays or fiction for that matter. If you do find something, please let us know. I'd love to find and read it. If not, you could always politely ask him if he has any period anecdotia to share in the Dining Pavilion. "I'd ask her [him] myself only I'm shy." ( from A Hard Day's Night)

paul

Postby paul » Wed Aug 22, 2007 11:34 pm

Kevin, I believe the Lennon piece in question is called Fear Not Your Enemies, first published in the L.A. Weekly, Sept. 20 1982, anthologized in The Edge In My Voice, reprinted in Edgeworks I, and i'm sure i'll be corrected if i'm wrong.
The medium is the message.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:33 am

Close, Paul. "Fear Not Your Enemies" first appeared in the March 1981 issue of Heavy Metal magazine. It was first printed in a book in Sleepless Nights in the Procrustean Bed.

But it doesn't sound like this is the one Kevin is looking for, because it's just one long bray about violence and guns -- there's no sweetness and light about the Beatles in it.

I didn't want to go pawing through every reference in "An Edge in My Voice," but the index lists a bunch of references to John Lennon, and none to The Beatles. Not a good sign, although I wouldn't necessarily trust White Wolf's index to be the last word, either.

[/b]
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Return to “Pop Culture”