Sicko

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:31 pm

(Pssst - Lori. I think he was kidding.)
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:07 pm

Lori, I'd watch that one--Ezra. Get your gadfly swatter ready and aim for his soft head. He's cute but deadly.

LarryF

Postby LarryF » Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:33 pm

Yeah, Ezra was kidding; however, there are people in this country who do their Archie Bunker impersonation whenever there's talk of helping the poor and downtrodden. The weirdly ironic thing is that most of them would likely identify themselves as Christians--despite the fact that Jesus was described in the Gospels as being anything but a Social Darwinist. (In fact, even Charles Darwin wasn't an SD: he was really pretty progressive for his day.)

I'm not opposed to captialism or people getting rich; it's just that, since this is the richest country on the planet, I think everyone here should have access to decent healthcare. I mean, I'd rather my taxes went to pay for universal healthcare than, oh, I dunno, invading countries that posed no threat, imminent or otherwise to us. And then there's all those really neat but totally useless weapons systems we have or are building, like the B-2 bomber or the X-somethingorother fighter or twelve freaking carrier strike groups. We're talking misplaced priorities here, folks--it's all about me, not we.

But, if we pray really hard and give to our friendly neighborhood televangelist and support our president who supports our troops, then the Baby Jesus will save us all. Amen. (Now I'm kidding!)

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:18 am

LarryF wrote:(In fact, even Charles Darwin wasn't an SD: he was really pretty progressive for his day.)

This is so true the "even" is redundant.

Darwin would never have endorsed the ideas of Herbert Spencer and subsequent Social Darwinists, so-called, because they totally misread his theories. Social, cultural, financial success has almost nothing to do with natural selection.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:45 am

Kidding? Moi?

Remember, only the madman is sure...heh heh heh.

Actually I've been a vocal advocate for universal health care in a single payer mode similiar to the system in Canada for a long time.

No system is perfect, there will always be problems one can point to anywhere. But if you look at the issue objectively there is simply no way you can claim that what we do now is "better" than what the Canadians or the French do now.

The Conservative mindset works on unquestioned "faith". The free market is ALWAYS better. And even though it is fairly hilarious to call what we have a "free market" the last statement is patently FALSE.

But sadly, it'll never happen here. Our politicians have long since been bought off by the insurance industry and big pharma (have you looked at Hillary's contributors?).

The most we can hope for are some regulations to allay the negative impact of the "free market". And even those will have to be squeezed out.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Lori Koonce

Appologies all around

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:47 am

Looks like I've done it again!

I'm beginning to like the taste of shoeleather, just needs a little salt most times. :D

I get a little dramatic when it comes to issues like this. I suppose I should sit on my thoughts a day or two before posting something. Last thing I need is another person thinking I'm a nutcase just because I don't think like the sheeple around me.

Yes I said Sheeple. Got the phrase from a guy who used to be on Air America radio.
Life, love and all the chocolate you can eat

Lori

purplelynn35@gmail.com

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:58 am

No fret Lori. You just haven't been here in our little looney bin long enough to recognize my characteristic style, that's all.

I'm a mocker, though I try to apply a modicum of wit to the enterprise (half is better than none).

Sheeple! I like it!
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jul 18, 2007 1:07 pm

Sheeple. Perfect. A new word for my vocab!

To David and Larry's point, I've taken to pointing out that Christ would certainly support the Dem approach to helping one another over the Republican -- as you say -- "Social Darwinism". I may use that one, too, given my friend's objections to Evolution.

"So, Jim, what you're saying is that you support Social Darwinism over the teachings of Christ???"

Might be an interesting weekend after all.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Lori Koonce

Great way to mess with your truly Fundie Friends

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jul 18, 2007 3:27 pm

Barber

Try this on an extremely mean spiritited person who claims to be a christian:

state that inn the book of Matthew, Jesus is supposed to have said, treat others as you would like to be treated. Am I right.

You will be so then you ask them... So does that mean by your own actions you want me to.... Then proceed to list all the behaviours that your friend indludges in that you know aren't really something he'd like done to himself.

If you and this person are still talking, then discuss what true kindness and compassion really are all about

Lori

purplelynn35@gmail.com

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jul 25, 2007 12:51 pm

About 1 out of 3 Christians are mean spirited by my count.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:43 pm

That sounds about right Frank.

But, the sad thing is that they don't seem to realize it, so you can have all sorts of fun with the method I stated above. If nothing else, it reminds the poor soul that persons are watching, and some are even taking note of behaviours that they probablly thought were private.

Lori

Lori

purplelynn35@gmail.com

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:16 pm

On my drive home from the office this afternoon, I was following a black Chrysler 300 -- a model of car I have frequently associated with the Demon Car in the 1977 horror film "The Car" -- with the license plate (I kid you not): "GODS(symbol of a hand)S".

After aggressively tailgating the car in front of him for a good couple minutes, the driver of the 300 jerked his vehicle into the carpool lane (across two solid yellow lines, mind you), cutting off a stretch limo by only a few feet (yes, this limousine's brakes were quite good, evidently). For the next few miles he approached and tailgated the car ahead of him in the carpool, before swerving (again those damn yellow lines) back into the fast lane.

With the cosmic sense of humor I soon caught up and passed him on the right. As I did, I could see no evidence of a passenger.

Yes, Christ's disciples in action.

Understand, I am not without religion. But these folks are embarrassing to us all.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:23 pm

Barber

Either you're snorting some serious shit - in which case, it would be greatly appreciated if you'd stay the hell off the road - or Dr. Miguelito Loveless was behind that wheel.

rich

Postby rich » Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:20 am

He said "passenger", Rob. If you actually read Barber's account, he said the guy drove in the carpool lane. And, "carpool", if you're unaware, means more than one person in the car, which makes it illegal for Christ's Hand Job to be in that lane. And, "illegal", if you're unaware, means all the stuff you've done which is against the law. And, "all the stuff you've done", means all the stuff you've done.

Tomorrow we'll work on numbers, Rob.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:00 am

Gotcha! I Gotacha, man!

So...so, it was Christ's hand that, like, tossed the passenger into a "carpool" when an illegal car stuffed a guy in the lane.

I'll read good next time, man.

What I still don't get is, where was the driver?

Return to “Pop Culture”