Great Bumperstickers

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Coil 2.0

Re: Great Bumperstickers

Postby Coil 2.0 » Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:17 am

T-shirt

My Zombie Ate Your Honor Roll Student

David Silver

Postby David Silver » Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:59 pm

This one cracked me up, especially as it was seen on a car in (usually) liberal-to-the-point-of-idiocy San Francisco:

"Nuke the gay whales!"

Covers a lot of ground, that one...
We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

-- George Bernard Shaw

paul

Postby paul » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:33 pm

Apropos of nothing, reading David's post just now, I remembered a comic I have. Travels With Farley by Phil Frank, who passed away a few years ago.
This would have been made in the 70's and the ideas of eco-awareness, corporate structure, media manipulation and the effects of civil rights are evident in the strips.

There's a great four-panel with Farley, your omnipresent traveller, standing on the side of the road writing down the bumper-stickers he sees.

"Save the earth."
"No nukes."
"Honk if you love Jesus."
"Jeez if you love honkies"
The medium is the message.

David Silver

Postby David Silver » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:41 pm

Hey Paul, I knew Phil Frank. A wonderful man. He is sincerely missed...
We don't stop playing because we grow old.
We grow old because we stop playing.

-- George Bernard Shaw

paul

Postby paul » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:06 pm

I discovered that book probably when I was 11 or 12 or so. I was born in '70, and all my older cousins at that time were teaching me what good things they grew up with (which actually, really did look like That 70's Show). The Furry Freak Brothers Books, Zap Comix, Cheech & Chong records, all the counterculturesque stuff they could stuff in the head of an unsuspecting cuz.
I was discovering the Pistols and Arthur Clarke and Talking Heads and Clive Barker, and I was a regular feature at the newsstand/store where I would get my National Lampoon/Mad magazine/ Cracked/ Crazy fix (had to read 'em on the sly, 'cause some stores kept them in the "Adult" section, not for the eyes of tykes like me), but I was always on the lookout for things from the 'good ole seventies'.
Farley was found in a book sale, maybe a library sale, or perhaps even a garage sale, but it's a full collection of a couple of years worth of work, showing the inception, and the formula behind the process. A lot of work. If memory serves, at the same time I found books by Charles Addams, Skip Morrow and a collection of New Yorker Cartoons They Refused To Print.
I can remember getting up at 12 am some nights and just needing a bowl of cereal, and getting Farley out so i'd have some company whilst I had the midnight snack, a big book next to the cereal bowl.
You guys know what I mean. Good memories.
My commiseration on his passing. His work kept me company long after I grew up. That means something.

Lori Koonce

Postby Lori Koonce » Fri Jul 24, 2009 4:32 am

One for you spirtually minded folks.....

Never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.....

and for the rest of you.....

Look at my rear end, not hers.....

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:35 pm

I remember "Farley." Must have seen in it in the SF Chronicles my Dad would pick up at in the afternoon when they were dropped off by the Greyhound.

I remember a hilarious series where firemen were called out to kill a fire in a marijuana field and they went all goofy. I also remember when Farley tried to track down where his tax money had gone one year and it turned out to be something really tiny and stupid in the White House, but I can't remember what it was, exactly.

Another wonderful cartoon I remember from the Chron that I never saw anywhere else was a single-panel one called "Fenwick," who was a dumpy Everyman with a balding head and mustache. Sweet and inoffensive fellow who was constantly getting shit on by life -- sort of a grown-up, middle-aged Ziggy.

One of the best cartoons I ever saw was of Fenwick looking at a piece of mail addressed to "Occupant" with the excited news printed on the outside:

"You are already a Loser! Details inside!"
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:47 pm

But back to bumperstickers. I saw all these on the same vehicle just up the block last night, and it warmed my heart.

First, there were two Darwin fish, one mounting the other.

Then there were:

"I believe in life BEFORE death."

"Non-judgment day is near."

"If evolution is outlawed, only outlaws will evolve."
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:22 am

They should ban the "my kid is an honor student" ones. An honor student is one who fucks the dean for extra credit.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri Oct 09, 2009 12:25 pm

I trust you've seen the "My kid beat up your honor student" bumperstickers in your neighborhood, yes?

I'd like to get some small, vivid bumperstickers to slap next to or below all the ones I've been seeing that say "Kids need BOTH parents"; mine would add, "Yeah! A mommy ... and a mommy. Or a daddy ... and a daddy. Or...."

paul

Postby paul » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:25 pm

In our apartment parking lot:

My labrador retriever is smarter than your honor student-
Fix Texas Schools.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:47 pm

When Jesus said Love Thy Neighbor
I think he meant try not to kill him

reddragon70

Postby reddragon70 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 5:19 am

I saw one a while back that said "Jesus Loves you.... But I think youre a cunt".

Now that may seema tad nasty but it made me smile. I guess I just have a warped sense of humour

David Loftus

Re:

Postby David Loftus » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:47 am

David Loftus wrote:
paul wrote:David, how do you see all these stickers if your nose is in a book while you're walking?

(Rhetorical, i remember your peripheral vision and closed-book calming effect for drivers).

Just watch out for the one that says 'I Don't Brake For Bibliophiles.'

* chuckle that almost became a coughing fit *

Well done, sir. I knew what you were talking about with just your first sentence.

Let me say that since I live in a carless household, I do a LOT of walking -- to and from work, to and from movie theaters and stage theaters (sometimes for rehearsals and performances in which I am featured, and sometimes just as a spectator), to and from the library (a gasping three blocks away, just like my office), and to and from meals out (usually in the company of the Missuz).

I don't read EVERY time I'm walking. I especially don't read if I'm in a big hurry, which often happens, because I ignore all electronic traffic signals, jaywalk, cut across parking lots and streetcar/rapid transit lines (which are all also within five blocks of our apartment), and my spouse doesn't take too kindly to my reading in her company if she isn't also doing so.

So now and then I notice things around me.

I might add that many of the bumperstickers I report here I see on parked cars while I'm walking.

Grayson

Postby Grayson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:16 pm

Am I the only one who loves the Wall Drug bumper stickers?

--Grayson

Return to “Pop Culture”