Ellison to Last

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

rich

Postby rich » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:19 pm

Correction: Harlan did not go after Rick. It's RICH. r-i-c-h. Not R-I-C-K.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Sep 02, 2006 8:21 am

Yea, ask a whole host of R&B legends about that back royalty stuff. Lots of horror stories there. White people are evil, basically.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:19 pm

Barber wrote:
[ in response to Frank's: ] Harlan's voice is irritating, you have to admit that.

Frank, can't agree in the least.

Among the many other debating gambits and conversational niceties you would be well advised to develop, Frank, you might consider learning to express your opinions as nothing but, without resorting to trying to pretend they're self-evident truths that everyone should acknowledge.

Harlan's voice is NOT irritating, except when he wants it to be. Judging from the recordings of the past 10 or 11 years, it's gotten a little husky (see my reviews of Hannukah Lights or "Laugh Track" on Hollywood Fantasies, on the Islets of Langerhans site), but many people still find it captivating.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:47 pm

I am talking about Harlan's actual speaking voice, not the voice he uses to seduce duckets from young men's jeans. Not that that is a bad thing.

The general public, I'm quite sure would find his voice irritating. But, the general public have general minds and general ideals. Frankly, the general public bore me.

Gwyneth M905

Harlan's voice and stories

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:19 pm

Harlan's voice (literal, not narrative) and stories are one and the same for me, as I started out as a HERC member. (Then again, does that make sense? Harlan's narrative voice is his literal voice -- I can hear him speak his stories to me as I read them.)
My personal favorites

A Boy and His Dog
Repent Harlequin, Said the Ticktockman
Daniel White for the Greater Good
The Resurgence of Miss Ankle-Strap Wedgie
On the Road with Ellison
On the Downhill Side
Hitler Painted Roses
One Life, Furnished in Early Poverty
Count the Clock that Tells the Time
Pretty Maggie Moneyeyes
The Deathbird (yeah, the Ahbhu essay had me in tears)
Adrift Just Off the Islets of Langerhans

Revealed at Last! What Killed the Dinosaurs! And You Don't Look So Terrific Yourself.
Our Little Miss from The Glass Teat
City on the Edge of Forever

Guilty Pleasures:
Mom
The New York Review of Bird
Santa Claus vs. S.P.I.D.E.R.
I'm Looking for Kadak

OK. Clearly I'm going to have to sit down with a copy of the Essential Ellison and think this one out because I know I'm missing stuff. Feck.
You guys are good...(':wink:')

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:47 am

FrankChurch wrote:I am talking about Harlan's actual speaking voice, not the voice he uses to seduce duckets from young men's jeans. Not that that is a bad thing.

The general public, I'm quite sure would find his voice irritating. But, the general public have general minds and general ideals. Frankly, the general public bore me.

Glad you found another way to distinguish yourself from the common herd on whose behalf you just as often say you are an advocate.

I still disagree with you.

The word, by the way, is ducats.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:43 pm

No way man, I am way too weird to be a member of any club, especially the herd.

Don't go there, you are weird too.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:52 pm

David, duckets is a slang for money in the hood; refer to this:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=duckets

I speak the gutter culture of youth, because I am a teenager, forever embalmed.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:39 pm

FrankChurch wrote:David, duckets is a slang for money in the hood; refer to this:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=duckets

I speak the gutter culture of youth, because I am a teenager, forever embalmed.

Note definition number 2 on the site you quote:

"Derived from Shakesperean English. Slang for money."

As an elitist, I prefer to go to the source. And I don't pretend to be something I'm not.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:46 pm

We are still waiting on the test results. hehe.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Sep 06, 2006 2:54 pm

David Loftus wrote:

I didn't see the entry in question, but I really hope it wasn't Loftus (the gifted Shakespearean actor) what mispelled "Shakespere".
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:12 pm

Barber wrote:
David Loftus wrote:

I didn't see the entry in question, but I really hope it wasn't Loftus (the gifted Shakespearean actor) what mispelled "Shakespere".

Rest assured, I cut the def directly from the other Web site and pasted it here. (We might refer to it a def jam.)

On the other hand, though I'm well aware of the current, generally accepted spelling, I am also aware (and I hope you are, too) that there are approximately a hundred or more ways to spell Shakespeare. The playwright himself spelled it a number of different ways.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:30 pm

David Loftus wrote: The playwright himself spelled it a number of different ways.

But wasn't that related to who was actually using the nom de plume at any given moment?
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:19 pm

Doth a word become king.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:31 pm

Barber wrote:
David Loftus wrote: The playwright himself spelled it a number of different ways.

But wasn't that related to who was actually using the nom de plume at any given moment?

Oh now, I wouldn't MAR the discussion with such a LOWE blow.

I've always considered such claims half-BACONed.

Return to “Pop Culture”