Comics. What are they good for?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Eric_Martin
Banned

Postby Eric_Martin » Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:10 pm

>Denise Richards has never done it for me<

Ok, but give her 20 minutes, and a bottle of tequila...you may warm up...

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Jun 17, 2006 8:52 am

Markabaddon,

Re: High Evolutionary.

I discovered the character in Fantastic Four (where so much of the best stuff used to come from), whose scientific aspirations began with a degree of heart and humility but inflated to dreams of grandeur to "improve" the evolutionary course of the human race. He incorporated a genetic accelerator into his armor, allowing him to shift through stages of evolution at will; such cool shifts, of course, alter his perception to that of a God looking down on his children, and those minions must follow his precepts. In his ongoing efforts, the HE tries to improve the future of the human species by cutting off certain genetic lines, and sometimes even removing portions of the population - not out of malice but out of his notions of necessity. It's kind of a tragic story, because he was basically a decent dude in his original human form.

I only realized fairly recently that the character goes a long ways back in Marvel history. I found him in FF when I was a kid, but he'd first appeared in Thor more than 10 years earlier (Kirby was still drawing it).

Check out this link:

www.immortalthor.net/ bio-highevolutionary.html

It's great story material.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:00 pm

Hathor wrote:
Also, where does Superman change now that there are no more phone booths? I'll have to go see the movie, I guess.

There's a lovely scene in the first Superman movie where clark Kent momentarily confronts a phone kiosk - you know, a phone just kind of build into the wall - before turning into Superman for the very first time. He looks it up and down and moves on. Even when I was three I recognized this nod to the old school . . .

Hathor

Postby Hathor » Sat Jun 17, 2006 2:43 pm

Yeah, I think Supe ended up leaping off a building at superspeed as Clark, and coming up mid-way in his costume in that movie. He should have went to Bloomies like Darryl Hannah in "Splash" :lol:

I also remember a Don Martin "MAD" comic where Diana spins around to turn into Wonder Woman and EVERYTHING flies off, including the lasso, tiara, belt, armor, etc. :wink:

Where WOULD you stow that costume in a normal situation if you were a "mortal" vigilante? And wouldn't your BO and sweat would get you noticed by your co-workers?

That's another thing I wish was addressed more with the "humans":
If you get in a fight, you are going to get WOUNDS!
I'd like for once just to see, say, Dick Grayson for example, late to class at Gotham U. with his face looking like its been through a blender and having to explain himself.
At least Alex Ross illustrates Bruce Wayne's body all tore up and scarred from various encounters.

Steve Evil

The Curse of Smallville.

Postby Steve Evil » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:08 pm

Hathor wrote:Yeah, I think Supe ended up leaping off a building at superspeed as Clark, and coming up mid-way in his costume in that movie.

He did eventually. For his first grand appearence though he used a revolving door.

Now speaking of Supes, I think the latest ad campaign for Superman returns is the worst way to sell a movie short of telling people it sucks.

What's this?

Superman standing around all pouty eyed telling Lois Lane "This is who I am", and all these mutual "I love yous", to the sound of some lousy tenth rate screechy teenaged EMO band playing in the background? WHO THE FUCK'S IDEA WAS THIS??? WHO in El Dante's Inferno thought that THIS is what people want to see in a movie about Superman? Treakly emotional sentimentality. Adolescent angst. No explosions. No tall buildings in a single bound, no locomotives, no crashing planes (well there was one of those in the old ad, but it's gone now), no General Zod and his minions rearranging Mt. Rushmore, no grand orchestral sountrack.

A love story, a &^%$#! soap opera in spandex, with some pimply metrosexual crooning in the background. What's our world comming to? When did things get so lame?

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Jun 19, 2006 1:28 pm

The Science of Superman's Costume-Changing:

Still to be deciphered by the experts, I was looking at the feat in an old episode from the George Reeves series which I'd taped off TV Land. This was the classic "asteroid" segment, in which Zoops/Clark Kent loses his memory upon colliding with the rock.

He changes in one location. Hundreds of miles away he turns back into Clark Kent. Where does he stuff the clothes?

The mystery reaches into the modern movies as well.

Hathor

Postby Hathor » Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:53 pm

Steve:
I agree completely. First, Constantine, then Kong-what is it with these revisions that turn everything into a WB teen drama?

Supe should go in the other direction and be a realist. As much as he carries a torch for Lois, Lana NEVER gave him half as much crap. Shop around, Kal. :wink:

As far as the costumes go, LORD! how many bags does one ordinary person need just to change from work to go to the gym?

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue Jun 20, 2006 1:56 pm

Eric, if I gave Bea Arthur 20 minutes and a bottle of tequila, I would probably have a good time.....until the next morning

Rob, thank you for that link to the history of the High Evolutionary. I have an old Avengers comic where the Scarlet Witch is possessed by the demon Chthon, and it provided some background, but I had no idea how powerful he was. Definitely one of the most complex and powerful figures in the Marvel Universe.

Still not sure how I feel about this new Superman movie. The love story emphasis does not thrill me, and I am conflicted about Spacey as Lex. If he were to go all Keyser Soze, then he could be an effective and worthy adversary to the man of steel. However, I get the impression they are going with the Hackman/comedic route which I find predictable. Zod was a menace, Lex was a joke in the first two films, and that is why the second film worked much better for me.

(SPOILER for Superman Returns)

What I am still trying to figure out is how he ever knocked up Lois in the first place? I am going to refrain from any obvious "faster than a speeding bullet" jokes, but I do wonder how an impossibly strong alien being could impregnate a human.
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

JohnG

Postby JohnG » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:47 pm

(rob)He changes in one location. Hundreds of miles away he turns back into Clark Kent. Where does he stuff the clothes?

I always figured he super-compressed them down and stuffed them somewhere on his super-person, not unlike the Barry Allen Flash keeping his costume compressed in his man-ring.

(mark)What I am still trying to figure out is how he ever knocked up Lois in the first place? I am going to refrain from any obvious "faster than a speeding bullet" jokes, but I do wonder how an impossibly strong alien being could impregnate a human.

Ever read the Niven "Man of Steel, Woman of Kleenex" essay? I've always felt the piece was funny, but slightly off, on the subject Kal El's involuntary actions--hell, a feathery tickled sneeze could blow a hole in a wall, and any Kryptonian germs or virii should have put the rest of Metropolis into a snotty grave a long time ago.

And I'm sorry, but seeing Spacey, good as he is, as Lex I can't get past him playing Doctor Evil in the movie-within-the Austin Powers-movie. About as scary as, well, Doctor Evil.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:45 pm

markabaddon wrote:What I am still trying to figure out is how he ever knocked up Lois in the first place? I am going to refrain from any obvious "faster than a speeding bullet" jokes, but I do wonder how an impossibly strong alien being could impregnate a human.

VER-R-R-R-R-RY carefully.

Actually, it was 'way back around 1979 when I read an advance story in one of the newsweekly magazines about Superman II, in which it was revealed that Superman and Lois (the estimable Ms. Kidder, you will recall) end up in bed together. Wow, I said to my best friend Victoria, what if Superman lost control in the heat of passion? He could drill you right through the floor?

Yeah, she said, but whatta way to go!
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:09 pm

Shifting the thread a tad for a moment, does anyone beyond meself feel the Superman movie franchise re-kindle could use a new look? That is, a shift away from the now-patented preppy Chris Reeve look (with all due respect to a terrific guy)?

I think more a square-jawed sorta "Clint Walker" face...

Struggling hard to stay awake at work late in the day....

rich

Postby rich » Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:44 am

I used to have a little paperback when I was a kid that detailed all the little things about Supes. I cannot remember the name of it, and it was one of the books lost during my Personal Purge of '85, but it was like one of those "factoid" books, y'know, just statements about Supes and how things were done, why things were done, all these one or two sentences on page after page.

And one of those "facts" was that Supes kept his clothes in a small pouch that lined his cape.

Hey, I'm just the messenger, here. It was also mentioned in this book that Supes had his clothes processed so that they could be wrinkle-free and survive some of his more incredible feats. That was why the suits were all blue.

Good stuff and I just remembered that book when this discussion came up.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:29 am

John G - yes I read that piece by Niven on Kal-el's bodily functions a long time ago and found it hilarious, especially the description of Superman sperm flying around Metropolis.

David - when Kal-el and Lois made "the beast with 2 backs" (God I love Othello), he had lost all his powers, so there should not have been any problem, unless he became nervous and the "little man of steel" could not rise to the challenge, so to speak

Rob - the problem with Superman is that he is pretty much an overgrown Boy Scout and has to look that way. You can get away with actors who look vastly different playing Bats, because his entire body is covered by the costume. You see Superman's face at all times, and he is supposed to project that All-American boy kinda look.

While I would agree that it would be interesting to have someone with a different look play Supes (maybe a Clint Eastwood type face or to be totally bizarre, Steve Buscemi) I do not think it would ever be accepted.
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:57 pm

"While I would agree that it would be interesting to have someone with a different look play Supes (maybe a Clint Eastwood type face or to be totally bizarre, Steve Buscemi) I do not think it would ever be accepted."

Oh, no. I can't agree with that at all. I guarantee that you do the movie right, and you get good square-jawed "manly" type face, it would be as accepted as Burton's take on Batman was when it first hit the screens.

The type of face I speak of on Zupes - bone structure n' all - is the one that USED to be the norm. Most notably, George Reeves.

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:12 am

How about Daniel Craig as Superman? He's got a manly face--some nice lines, a strong gaze ...

I meant that as a joke, but the more I think about it, the more I like the idea.

D.

Return to “Pop Culture”