"Batwoman Is a WHAT?"

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Douglas Harrison

"Batwoman Is a WHAT?"

Postby Douglas Harrison » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:12 pm

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/books/0 ... index.html

I'm enthusiastic about DC's attempts to introduce more diverse characters, but I can't help but wonder whether Dan DiDio is being disingenuous when he claims DC was surprised at the attention given to the Batwoman revelation.

D.

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Thu Jun 01, 2006 6:07 pm

If there ever was an affront to Yvonne Craig, this is it.

rich

Postby rich » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:41 am

Oh, man. Are we going to see her kiss Wonder Woman? I need a towel.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:50 am

I think this is probably a publicity stunt by DC to bring attention to a character whose first appearance otherwise would be completely forgotten.

In the short blurb I read about this, it states that Batwoman has a connection with another lesbian character within the DC Universe, Renee Montoya. While the DC writers and artists cannot help themselves in drawing Ms. Montoya in bed with her lover on occasion (see issue #1 of the comic 52), generally they portray her as an excellent former detective who happens to like girls. The lesbian angle is not a main focus of the character and I hope they take the same approach with this new Batwoman.

I am thinking about starting a new thread on the state of comics because I have been so pissed off with how Marvel has screwed the pooch of late.
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:01 am

This is an insult to Halle Berry.

JohnG

Postby JohnG » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:12 am

Jan wrote:This is an insult to Halle Berry.

wasn't she Catwoman? Now, THAT movie was an insult to Julie Newmar and Eartha Kitt, but only mildly offensive to Lee Meriwether. and Michelle Pfeiffer.

And the delightful Ms Craig was Batgirl--speaking of which, has there ever been a Bat Woman on screen?

Douglas Harrison

Postby Douglas Harrison » Fri Jun 02, 2006 11:43 am

markabaddon wrote:I think this is probably a publicity stunt by DC to bring attention to a character whose first appearance otherwise would be completely forgotten.

I hope it's more than a stunt, that DC is not being wholly cynical, but I'm sure the editors haven't lost sight of the buzz factor.

D.

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:08 pm

rich wrote:Oh, man. Are we going to see her kiss Wonder Woman? I need a towel.

Save the towel for later, rich. From the BBC News website: "The series is set in a world in which established superheroes Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman do not play a part." (italics mine.)

Personally, I think a lesbian Batwoman is so '03, though it's fun to guess which actress from The L Word will play her in the inevitable movie. (Me, I'm gunning for Mia Kirshner, though Jennifer Beals would be more-than-acceptable.)
--
"His plan therefore was not to refuse admission to the idea, but to keep it at bay until his mind was ready to receive it. Then let it in and pulverise it. Obliterate the bastard."--Samuel Beckett

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:34 pm

I forgot the obligatory lesbian jokes:

"What a shock! A lesbian who wears a toolbelt!"

"She's not really gay--that's just what she tells the fanboys at the conventions."

"Her Batmobile will be a Ford pickup truck!"

Thank you, thank you. Don't forget to tip your waitress, and be sure to try the curly fries on your next trip to the bar!
--

"His plan therefore was not to refuse admission to the idea, but to keep it at bay until his mind was ready to receive it. Then let it in and pulverise it. Obliterate the bastard."--Samuel Beckett

Jan

Postby Jan » Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:39 pm

OK, so apart from Batman there's a Batwoman, a Catwoman, and a Batgirl? I admit it, the franchise is officially too complex for someone like me.

(Lesbian angles were in vogue about ten, fifteen years ago, but now??)

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri Jun 02, 2006 2:31 pm

No, there has never been a Batwoman on the screen, as she has always been a fairly minor character.

Actually, Jan, it gets even more complex than that as there is also Oracle (a former Bat Girl who was paralzyed by the Joker and now acts as the data source for most superheroes) and assorted other females in Batman's extended group.

Jim, it will take probably start during the one year gap where Bats, Supes, and Diana are taking a break, but I am sure they will have this character interact with all of those main heroes if they are planning on giving her any exposure whatsoever
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Rudiger Treehorn
Banned

Postby Rudiger Treehorn » Sat Jun 03, 2006 7:10 am

Female cops in the DCU seem to have a high rate of lesbianism (Maggie Sawyer and Montoya are pretty much the only female cops I can think of in the DCU and they're both lesbians -- batting 1.000!). As lesbians make up, what, 7% of the population, my rough estimate of the number of superheroes in the DCU suggests several dozen lesbian superheroes and maybe a 100 homosexual superheroes. They should all come out of the closet and do a PSA.

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Sat Jun 03, 2006 2:45 pm

Statistically (& sociologically) speaking, it's far more likely that the typical superhero would be addicted to some substance. This is especially so when you consider their line of work, & its common double-edged sword of thanklessness & adulation. I seem to recall, in general, that the highest rates among professions are along the lines of: lawyers for suicide, priests for alcoholism, & surgeons for injectable medications.

Where's all the suicides among the cape-&-tights crowd? And if there ain't none, where's the therapists, where's the soul-cleanser rays, where's the therapy groups, where's the interventions? What with all this soul-searching & angst & stuff, those folks ain't setting a credible example with "I worked through it all by my little self."

Hathor

Postby Hathor » Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:52 pm

You have to admit, it's better than Marvel when they had "The Rawhide Kid" (Oh hahah) be their token homosexual a while back. Or maybe it was "The Durango Kid"... HELL those were "BOY" comics fer chrissake!!

I loved how "IT" was portrayed in "HUSH", when not even Catwoman was immune to the charms of Poison Ivy. And how Catwoman felt psychologically raped afterward.
It CAN be done without throwing into the face of your audience.

And YES, a pink triangle or a tie-dye t-shirt DOES NOT give you magical absolution to corruption any more than a crucifix or a blue uniform does. Someday, when we're ALLLL on the same page, we'll get back to being an INDIVISIBLE nation and and get some friggin' work done...

Return to “Pop Culture”