Whatcha reading?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

diane bartels

Re: Whatcha reading?

Postby diane bartels » Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:16 pm

Started the next book of LoTR. These are delicious books, just so much fun to read.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Nov 04, 2014 9:35 pm

I agree, D. I read them in my late 30s and couldn't have enjoyed myself more. THE TWO TOWERS is phenomenal.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Wed Nov 05, 2014 5:00 pm

diane bartels wrote:Started the next book of LoTR. These are delicious books, just so much fun to read.

I have always thought the first volume was the best part. I always liked the early adventures better than the later more epic battles. On the other hand I thought the first movie was the weakest and the second movie the best. The whole Eowyn episode was the best part of the whole film series. You know Aragorn would have been happier with her than with an Elven ice princess. Dang prophecies.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Nov 06, 2014 2:18 pm

HEAVEN AND HELL: MY LIFE IN THE EAGLES (1974-2001) Don Felder with Wendy Holden

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:28 pm

Someone read Steve King's new book and tell me if it is good before I read it. It is about religion. gulp.

King said he likes Amazon. oh oh.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:30 pm

FrankChurch wrote:Someone read Steve King's new book and tell me if it is good before I read it. It is about religion. gulp.

King said he likes Amazon. oh oh.

This is a minor quibble, but it irritates me. He's not Steve King. It's Stephen. It's not the same.

Sorry. Getting people's names right is kind of a thing with me.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:44 pm

FrankChurch wrote: it is good

FinderDoug

Postby FinderDoug » Wed Nov 12, 2014 8:53 pm

Getting people's names right is kind of a thing with me.
Sadly, it's never been especially important to Frank.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:34 pm

Something phantasmagorical (if not recent) from Caitlin R. Kiernan:

"Andromeda Among the Stones."

Top-fucken-notch, that one. HPL and Clark Ashton Smith, Hodgson, Machen, Shirley Jackson fans, check her out.

(She was honored with two World Fantasy Awards this past weekend.)

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Thu Nov 13, 2014 8:13 am

Just finished one of the more peculiar novels I've read in recent times, Paul Park's All Those Vanished Engines. Park has deep literary sensibilities which infuse every one of his novels that I've read so far and makes me scratch my head wondering who his audience is, but I'm not complaining. This one is a combination alternate history, steampunk, memoir, hidden history, alien (possibly) invasion novel. Layered, beautiful imagery, moments where the line between memoir and fiction is completely obliterated, and psychologically fascinating, it's a kind of family saga of, possibly, Park's own family starting at the Battle of the Crater (Petersburg, VA) and moving into the near future. I was utterly fascinated but I couldn't begin to tell you what exactly was going on. Even so, I was not disappointed.

Moving on now to the new William Gibson, The Peripheral.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:48 pm

Mark Tiedemann wrote:Just finished one of the more peculiar novels I've read in recent times, Paul Park's All Those Vanished Engines. Park has deep literary sensibilities which infuse every one of his novels that I've read so far and makes me scratch my head wondering who his audience is, but I'm not complaining. This one is a combination alternate history, steampunk, memoir, hidden history, alien (possibly) invasion novel. Layered, beautiful imagery, moments where the line between memoir and fiction is completely obliterated, and psychologically fascinating, it's a kind of family saga of, possibly, Park's own family starting at the Battle of the Crater (Petersburg, VA) and moving into the near future. I was utterly fascinated but I couldn't begin to tell you what exactly was going on. Even so, I was not disappointed.

Moving on now to the new William Gibson, The Peripheral.

Paul is nonpareil.

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:35 am

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:52 pm

Finally finished Doctor Zhivago, which I started months ago. I kept dragging it out, partly because I got distracted by other things, and partly because I didn't want it to end. It was one of those very rare books that become a companion for me, and made life make sense when it was otherwise being nonsensical. I'm going to miss it. . .

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:44 pm

How did it captivate you Steven?

The new Steve King is starting off boring. Once again a bad Christian minister, typical.

Steve Barber

Postby Steve Barber » Sat Dec 06, 2014 4:51 pm

FrankChurch wrote:How did it captivate you Steven?

The new Steve King is starting off boring. Once again a bad Christian minister, typical.

Hmm. I was almost considering getting that one. Someone -- can't remember who? -- wrote a review saying the new King book was much better than his other post-accident works.
All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “Pop Culture”