Whatcha reading?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Re: Whatcha reading?

Postby Moderator » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:32 am

Ezra Lb. wrote:
Steve Evil wrote:Not a whole lot. Just war books mainly. There are times when I can only read history, and really dry history at that. . .

Steve E here's one for you.

http://www.amazon.com/Supreme-Commander ... thur+japan

Not dry though.

In one sentence, the book's blurb defines exactly where we've gone wrong so many times since: "who treated a defeated enemy with respect; who made informed and thoughtful decisions yet could be brash and stubborn when necessary, and who lead the Occupation with intelligence, class, and compassion."

I want this stamped on the forehead of the next person we assign such a role.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:10 pm

Yea, leading an occupation is always wrong no matter the intent.

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:34 pm

Mark, thanks for posting that excellent piece by Arthur D. Hlavaty on the two new Heinlein books. I had no idea that Heinlein suffered from as many physical maladies as he did; his stories celebrating strong men (and women) now remind me of the desperately ill (physically, that is) Nietzsche writing volume after volume extalling the "overman" partly as a form of self-therapy. It's amusing that even Hlavaty takes a shot (several, in fact) at I WILL FEAR NO EVIL, that perennial Heinlein target; but he makes a good case that Heinlein's entire oeuvre is more contradictory, complex, and interesting than either his dectrators or admirers realize. Heinlein continues to amaze, infuriate, prod, exasperate, stimulate, and entertain nearly thirty years after his death. And truth be told, he's a lot more fun to read than John Barth.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:16 pm

Right now I'm in the middle of -- hold on tight -- Fred Siegel's brilliant new book, THE REVOLT AGAINST THE MASSES: HOW LIBERALISM HAS UNDERMINED THE MIDDLE CLASS. It deftly shows how pre-WWI Progressives were replaced by the "anti-bourgeois" aesthetic radicals of the Twenties, morphed into the economic and political radicals of the Thirties (they were often the same people), and evolved after WWII into the "liberals" of today. A stunning book that will turn all your (and my) preconceived notions upside down; if not for the frequent typos (the bane of modern publishing), I'd say it was without blemish. Not that I agree with all of Siegel's arguments. No, more importantly, he makes me think in fresh ways, and want to seek out some of the works by thinkers he discusses with such flair. Don't read it if you hate having your misconceptions challenged.
"Thought is a strenuous art -- few practice it, and then only at rare times." - David Ben-Gurion

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Jul 15, 2014 9:05 am

John Barth sounds funner.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 15, 2014 11:59 am

Going to the dentist sounds funner.

Matters what one means by liberal. It can mean an establishment flake like Thomas Friedman or a lovely truth teller like Thom Hartmann or Ralph Nader. Radicals are great because they can see the difference, beyond all the fake name calling.

Elizabeth Warren is even stumping in red states. True progressive fire tinders the soul. :)

Robert Nason

Postby Robert Nason » Tue Jul 15, 2014 12:39 pm

FrankChurch wrote:True progressive fire tinders the soul. :)

Sometimes, like Bill Ayers, they even set real fires.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:28 pm

This is the "Whatcha reading?" forum, gents.

DUMA KEY
THE WORLD IN THE EVENING

Sturgeon, thanks to James.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:53 pm

Beside table-

THE FLOATING GODS-- M. John Harrison
THE COSMIC RAPE--Ted Sturgeon
SOME OF YOUR BLOOD-Sturgeonagain
VISIONS AND VENTURES--seeing a trend here?
THE SHORT STORIES OF ERNEST HEMINGWAY
LIES WITHIN LIES: THE BETRAYAL OF NEVADA JUDGE HARRY CLAIBORNE--MICHAEL VERNETTI

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:32 pm

Today: Denis Johnson and Thomas Berger.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:40 pm

A new story by Harlan Ellison.

Found by the Finder.

Here:

http://subterraneanpress.com/magazine/s ... an_ellison

This is why I rarely put pen to paper. It's still horribly intimidating to read the Man. Another Nebula. Wanna bet?

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:42 pm

Barber wrote:
Ezra Lb. wrote:
Steve Evil wrote:Not a whole lot. Just war books mainly. There are times when I can only read history, and really dry history at that. . .

I still find that comment refreshing.

All my life I seek out the outrageous writing, the offbeat and weird, the wildest imaginable matter. Then I read that simple statement.

Outrageous.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:30 pm

Amazing book about Operation Paperclip. Our lovely history of when we used Nazis to help us with science in foreign policy. Really noxious history.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Aug 06, 2014 8:24 pm

Took advantage of a very long flight and got through a couple hundred pages of Jules Verne's AN ANTARCTIC MYSTERY.

The particular translation is sloppy, but still a compelling story.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu Aug 07, 2014 7:02 am

FrankChurch wrote:Amazing book about Operation Paperclip. Our lovely history of when we used Nazis to help us with science in foreign policy. Really noxious history.

Title, Franklin?

Return to “Pop Culture”