Whatcha reading?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Rick Keeney

what i am reading

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu May 25, 2006 3:26 pm

Rick Keeney

MINICON

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu May 25, 2006 3:33 pm

markabaddon wrote:At MiniCon, Harlan recommended 2 books by Richard Sapir, Far Arena and the Body. I am considering ordering them from Amazon. Anybody read them?

I am not familiar with these Mark. Did you get any other good ideas from that seminar?

Rick

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu May 25, 2006 5:55 pm

How does Harlan read so many books--is he a speed reader? I did hear that he reads slow, or slower than some. It usually takes me about a week or three days to read a decent sized book.

Rick Keeney

speed reading

Postby Rick Keeney » Thu May 25, 2006 8:58 pm

i'm with you Frank. I struggle with reading speed. For me, reading with ADD is like someone turning the lights out intermittently. SOme writers I can cruise right thru, and I have read a book in a day, but these are rarities. I'm well under a page a minute on an average read.

Don't recall Harlan ever discussing reading speed.

Rick

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Thu May 25, 2006 9:17 pm

I actually enjoy reading slow, because you savor what you read better. Especially my endless political books.

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Fri May 26, 2006 6:15 am

It's time, Frank. It's time for you to prove to yourself and to the rest of us that you are not aas dogmatic and doctrinaire as the side you oppose.

Post a convincing paragraph on why George Bush is a good president and the war in Iraq is necessary, in your own words. Do this, and we'll know you understand both sides of the issue, and have made an informed choice.

There's the gauntlet, pal.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri May 26, 2006 9:09 am

Eric, what you ask is virtually impossible. I have tried to construct an argument on why the Iraq War was necessary or how Putsch is a good president and I am unable to find anything convincing.

I did not like Bush I or Reagan, but at least they had some positives to their administration. From national safety to domestic policy to the economy to foreign relations, this guy has messed up every conceivable aspect of the country that he touches.

And I think the shit is really going to hit the fan when the dollar starts becoming devalued in a couple of weeks or months and inflation really starts to become a bigger factor. The reason I say that the dollar will become devalued is that it is generally considered the standard international currency, thus giving it a stronger value in international markets.

There are a couple of markets, Russia most notably, that are going to be switching from the dollar to either the ruble or the Euro very soon. Once that happens, and inflation starts kicking in as the value of the dollar is lowered, this economy may really hit the skids.
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Fri May 26, 2006 10:13 am

FrankChurch wrote:How does Harlan read so many books--is he a speed reader? I did hear that he reads slow, or slower than some. It usually takes me about a week or three days to read a decent sized book.

Frank, Harlan doesn't work a day job like most of the rest of us. That means he has more time on his hands.

He's also something of a night owl, though I can't remember whether it's because he tends to stay up late and rise late in the morning, or has a tendency to wake up in the middle of the night and putter.

But that's a good time to get a lot of reading done without people bothering you on the phone or knocking on the door.

If the rest of us could afford to do it, we would.

As it is, what with a full-time day job and now rehearsals and performances for three or four full productions a year, and two dozen or more readings, I can only manage a little than a hundred books (or roughly 32,000 pages) of pleasure reading a year.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Rick Keeney

pronoun selection

Postby Rick Keeney » Fri May 26, 2006 6:10 pm

is that the royal "we", Eric, or are there several of you?

Rick

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Sun May 28, 2006 4:48 am

Eric Martin wrote:Post a convincing paragraph on why George Bush is a good president and the war in Iraq is necessary, in your own words. Do this, and we'll know you understand both sides of the issue, and have made an informed choice.

Oh dear. Hows about this:
(*ahem*)

Uday Hussain and his brother Q, used to lower their enemies slowly, feet first into a plastic shredding machine. They were to inherit the country.

It was worth blood and treasure to silence these shredding machines. Those two yahoos have been removed from the political arena. Chaotic as the future might be, it will be free of plastic shredders.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun May 28, 2006 2:24 pm

Oh, I am sure I would employ the Just War Theory, that Iraq had violated all the UN sanctions and that Hussein kept the inspectors out of the dangerous bunkers and the like. That Hussein had violated the 1991 ceasefire agreement, giving the US the valid option for regime change. Or the idea that Hussein was a murderer, who gased the Kurds and kept billions of dollars in Oil For Food money, while his people were left to fend for food in trash dumps.

Sure, I could say all of this and more, but who are we kidding. All this bile and bullshit can be backed up with facts, so why even try.

The facts are pretty blood red--there is no longer any way to justify this war and occupation. Anyone who does, just is laughable, as either a fraud or an imperial choirboy.

Eric, the defense rests.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue May 30, 2006 2:41 am

"Conan and the Treasure of Tranicos!" by Howard.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue May 30, 2006 9:34 am

Eric Martin wrote: Post a convincing paragraph on why George Bush is a good president and the war in Iraq is necessary, in your own words. Do this, and we'll know you understand both sides of the issue, and have made an informed choice.

Eric - This challenge presupposes that there is an argument in that direction. At this point not even all dyed-in-the-wool conservatives are maintaining those positions (other than a minority of hands-tightly-clamped-to-the-ears crying "la-la-la-la-la" at the tops of their voices Neocons).

Can YOU, with a straight face, make such an argument in the face of all of the evidence to the contrary? To do so, IMHO, would also allow you to maintain that Hitler favored the jews, and Stalin had the interests of his countrymen at heart when he ordered the purges. I'm not suggesting Bush is evil, as are the other two, but the threshold of disbelief necessary to ignore the evidence and maintain an opinion that Bush is a good and effective leader was passed many moons ago.

IMHO, of course.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue May 30, 2006 10:18 am

But of course there's an argument to be made in that direction. A very fine and -- to many people -- fairly convincing one. I could offer it here. Piece o'cake.

In fact, thinking about Eric's challenge to Frank over the holiday weekend, I considered challenging Frank myself: We would choose a time to (roughly) simultaneously post our attempt at this location.

But somehow I had to suspect Frank would even attempt it.

Waste of my time.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue May 30, 2006 10:58 am

David - Just a point for your confidence: don't forget this is a two-part debate. Frank would have to make the case that not only is the war a just one, but that Bush is a good president. While arguments may still be made on the war, making the case for the Bush presidency's effectiveness would prove to be a greater challenge given some very compelling evidence to the contrary. Anything but a very carefully crafted statement would seem specious, out-of-touch and potentially polyanna.

And just to return to the topic-at-large (Whatcha Readin'?):

I'm bogged down on the Tim Powers Anubis Gates book. On the other hand I'm racing through Phil Keoghan's No Opportunity Wasted.

I'm not usually one for self-help type books, but this takes a completely different and fun approach. Type A1 recommendation.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Return to “Pop Culture”