Whatcha reading?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Steve Evil

Re: Whatcha reading?

Postby Steve Evil » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:49 am

No kindle for me. I spend enough time staring at screens as it is. I also loathe the idea of being left without reading material because I forgot to plug my book in. And my luck with technology is such that the damn thing would have a "systems failure" the minute I booted up. No no no no, give me paper any day. A book will be readable in a thousand years time. A kindle will only be readable until the waranty runs out, or the manufacturer comes up with an "improved" version.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:24 am

Exspecially when youe has on glassez. Thet glare iz annnoyin.

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:16 pm

They do, however, make a fabulous cat toy!

http://fragg.me/video/cat-ipad
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:17 pm

My foray into eBooks is a long considered one. In a week or so I expect delivery of my iPad2, complete with wi-fi and a wireless connection to the VZW network.

Buying one is a little overdue, and I admit that I fought it a bit. Even though I'm a technologist -- part of my job is to be constantly aware of advances, what's in The Cloud, etc -- I've held back from getting an eBook reader for a number of reasons.

First, and most primary, is that years ago I proudly bought myself a Betamax, believing that the better picture meant Beta would triumph over VHS. Then, once I'd licked my wounds I bought a bunch of VHS tapes only to have to convert them all to DVDs once that format became commonplace. &%$# doing that again. I figure the formats have had a chance to settle in,a nd the iPad allows you to use a couple of them rather than committing to a single provider.

Second, I -- like you guys -- love the smell and tactile pleasures of a book. The typeface on the page, the sound of the crinkle as I turn it. A year ago my Dad admitted to me that despite his misgivings, he was really loving his Kindle. This was embarrassing for him given that he'd been a publisher, and he, too, loves the visceral experience of a book. He owns more than 15,000 of them, and has written a few himself. I now figure that if it's good enough for him I should at least give it a fair chance.

Thirdly, I borrowed my niece's iPad for a couple of weeks and played with it to see how I would like it. Her husband had taken it with him on a trip to the Galapagos Islands (they are both professors in the science department at an area university). He used it as a research tool and to update his professional blog, as well as keeping in touch with the family during his absence. The iPad is increasingly becoming abusiness tool, and I have been asked by some of my clients what my thoughts are on deployment. So I have business and travel-related reasons for purchasing.

Truth to tell, I'm looking forward to getting it. I fully expect, as a result, that my reading will increase rather than decrease. I've been slowly working my way through Dan Simmons' excellent Drood, but the size of the book is a deterrent to lugging it in my briefcase for lunchtime reading, for instance. or in the car as I'm killing time before/after an appointment. Or during one of Cris' gigs. And if I do drag it along, if I decide to put it away for a time and pick up something else to read this complicates the logistics that much more. And heaven forbid I drag my dvd viewer along as well. The iPad resolves all of those issues.

So it's not just about the book, but the book does play into the decision. I still fully intend to purchase and read the "classic" format. I love my library. But in this way I can be specific with my acquisitions, and won't have the difficulty in storing many hundreds of books I've read but won't ever again -- boxes of paperbacks in the garage awaiting donation to the annual library sale, hardbacks by pass-in-the-night authors whose style leaves me cold, etc.

We'll see. I look forward to reading your blog, David. (Which reminds me I have one of my own to prepare...yeeks.)

My two cents...
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Mar 21, 2011 5:17 pm

Well to each his own of course but to me a device weighing a few ounces that can hold the complete works of Edgar Allan Poe, the complete works of H G wells, the complete works of H P Lovecraft, the annotated King James Version of the Bible, and the autobiography of Mark Twain with room for much much more like my Kindle does is nothing but amazing and super fantastic.

And just for the record the Kindle does not have "glare" like a computer or a TV. It is designed to be restful and easy on the eyes. I can't speak for the IPod.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:00 pm

Yes, but can Iggy play with it?
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 22, 2011 7:26 am

iPad. (The iPod is a bit small for reading.)

And Iggy can play if he cleans his fingers (and not by licking them...)

The glare is my only real concern, and evidently Apple has done some things on the iPad2 to reduce it. We'll see...literally.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:55 am

"The iPad is increasingly becoming abusiness tool..."

Abusiness. Oh, I like that!

For those of you who haven't already seen the link on the Pavvy, I've just uploaded a commentary about the anti-Zen aspects of hand-helds (which is NOT my promised piece on Kindles and books -- not yet):

http://www.americancurrents.com/2011/03 ... -with.html
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue Mar 22, 2011 5:48 pm

I think you're right on. It's even worse among kids, and it's fully abetted, even demanded by the schools now. . . tomorrow is fucked.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:09 pm

The kindle doesn't matter since this signals that books may be history.

Technology is a tool. You can use a hammer to build a bird house or kill someone. Matters how it is used. But we know that kids use technology for mostly bad uses.

Neil Postman is whistling in the graveyard.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Mar 22, 2011 6:35 pm

FrankChurch wrote:The kindle doesn't matter since this signals that books may be history.

Technology is a tool. You can use a hammer to build a bird house or kill someone. Matters how it is used. But we know that kids use technology for mostly bad uses.

Neil Postman is whistling in the graveyard.

Just so's ya know -- and maybe you'll find some solace here -- people predicted the same about the Licorice Pizza* when the Shaving Mirror+ first arrived on the scene. For years it looked like digital technology had won...but then....(from the Evil Wikipedia, no relation to Steve.)

Phonograph in the 21st century

Turntables continue to be manufactured and sold into the 21st century, although in small numbers. While there are many audiophiles who still prefer vinyl records over digital music sources (primarily compact disc) for what they consider superior sound quality, they represent an enthusiastic minority of listeners. The quality of the available record players, tonearms, and cartridges has continued to improve, despite a diminishing market, allowing turntables to remain competitive on the high end audio systems market. Together with these high-end modern devices, vinyl enthusiasts are also often committed to the refurbishment and sometimes tweaking of vintage systems. The chart on the right illustrates that users of the forum http://www.vinylengine.com post pictures of disappeared or superseded makes as much as of modern makes.

Updated versions of the 1970s era Technics SL-1200 have remained an industry standard for DJs to the present day. Turntables and vinyl records remain popular in mixing (mostly dance-oriented) forms of electronic music, where they allow great latitude for physical manipulation of the music by the DJ.
In hip hop music, the turntable is used as a musical instrument. Manipulation of a record as part of the music rather than for normal playback or mixing, is called turntablism. The basis of turntablism and its best known technique is scratching, pioneered by Grand Wizard Theodore. It was not until Herbie Hancock's "Rockit" in 1983 that the turntablism movement was recognized in popular music outside of a hip hop context.
The laser turntable uses a laser as the pickup instead of a stylus in physical contact with the disk. It was conceived of in the late 1980s, although early prototypes were not of usable audio quality. Practical laser turntables are now being manufactured by ELPJ. They are favoured by record libraries and some audiophiles since they eliminate physical wear completely. Experimentation is in progress in retrieving the audio from old records by scanning the disc and analysing the scanned image, rather than using any sort of turntable.
Although largely replaced since the introduction of the compact disc in 1982, record albums still sell in small numbers and are available through numerous sources. In 2008, LP sales grew by 90% over 2007, with 1.9 million records sold.[35] Many audiophiles believe that all-analogue recordings made using a traditional tape recorder, simple microphone arrays and few overdubs have a more natural sound than digital recordings.[citation needed]

USB turntables have a built-in audio interface, which transfers the sound directly to your computer.[36] There are also many turntables on the market designed to be plugged into a computer via a USB port for needle dropping purposes.[37]

The Book format is not dead and gone, but it may be undergoing a reduction in market share...

* Phonograph record
+ - CD/DVD

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:28 pm

Barber, the telegraph lowered the IQ of the general public, the TV even more, so don't be so sure.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:27 pm

Many audiophiles believe that all-analogue recordings made using a traditional tape recorder, simple microphone arrays and few overdubs have a more natural sound than digital recordings.[citation needed]

An engineer once explained to me that an analogue recording captures higher frequencies than a digital one. I believe it; my vinyl sounds a hundred times better than my Mp3s. I swear by vinyl. . .

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:30 pm

You are so very correct Baby cakes. Digital just lowers the ambience, so to speak.

The audiophiles are right.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:46 pm

Actually, it also has a good deal to do with compression, which digitally reduces the high and low ends and digital redundencies to balance the sound and reduce the file sizes. I greatly prefer uncompressed audio recordings, but I'm told by the engineers that it sounds too "tinny".

Return to “Pop Culture”