Whatcha reading?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

markabaddon

Re: Whatcha reading?

Postby markabaddon » Thu May 09, 2013 1:07 pm

Mr. Evil, I hear ya, and I remember those days of waiting very impatiently for the next installment of a comic to come out. That may be why I now stick more to the trade collections. One comic I am reading regularly is Locke & Key, by Joe Hill (Keeney, were you the first one to get me to read Hill?). Absolutely brilliant stuff and one I would highly recommend, even for non-comic readers

Ender's Game, and its subsequent books, are very well done. As with most things, Mr. Tiedemann is correct that guilt and redemption are major themes, but there is also some very interesting insights into power and responsibility. Ender's siblings, who are some of my favorite characters, factor heavily into the exploration of those themes
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Samuel John Klein

Postby Samuel John Klein » Thu May 09, 2013 8:19 pm

markabaddon wrote:Ender's Game, and its subsequent books, are very well done. As with most things, Mr. Tiedemann is correct that guilt and redemption are major themes, but there is also some very interesting insights into power and responsibility. Ender's siblings, who are some of my favorite characters, factor heavily into the exploration of those themes

Strangely enough, I found his siblings' subplot of behind-the-scenes media and opinion influence to be, in a way I can't quite put my finger on, more compelling than Ender's story.

Maybe is this meedya-besotted society we live in. Donno.

Sam.
9PM, 8PM Central and Eastern.
Samuel John Klein, your friend, and your friend, and mine too
http://zehnkatzen.blogspot.com samuel.klein@gmail.com
http://twitter.com/SJKPDX
Somewhere in Southeast Portland. The banal part.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sat May 11, 2013 1:16 pm

melville

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat May 11, 2013 2:55 pm

Karen Alexander--Islam. Tells the short history and tells us not to be afraid. Islam will not hurt you. Silly Americans.

Samuel John Klein

Postby Samuel John Klein » Sat May 11, 2013 8:56 pm

While waiting on a friend to loan me the sequel to Ender's Game, I'm taking on Asimov's Foundation Trilogy and Pynchon's V. I"m going to be mainlining these two volumes; Foundation I tried reading as a kid when I wasn't yet ready and got bored silly, have grown since then; V because it is my white whale. I can't put it any other way.

Sam.
(include some Ahabesqueism)

Mark Tiedemann

Postby Mark Tiedemann » Sun May 12, 2013 6:52 am

Samuel John Klein wrote:While waiting on a friend to loan me the sequel to Ender's Game, I'm taking on Asimov's Foundation Trilogy and Pynchon's V. I"m going to be mainlining these two volumes; Foundation I tried reading as a kid when I wasn't yet ready and got bored silly, have grown since then; V because it is my white whale. I can't put it any other way.

Sam.
(include some Ahabesqueism)

Wow. V and the Foundation Trilogy could not be much further apart in terms of accessibility. But good reading, both! I had the opposite reaction. The Foundation series I read when I was 12 or 13 and it's the thing that decided me on becoming a writer. V I tried when I was 15 and bounced off. Tried again at 22, bam! I finally read it in the 40s and loved it. I think it's much more SFnal than Gravity's Rainbow, but it, and the earlier Crying of Lot 49, establishes all Pynchon's major themes.

Samuel John Klein

Postby Samuel John Klein » Sun May 12, 2013 10:05 am

Mark Tiedemann wrote:Wow. V and the Foundation Trilogy could not be much further apart in terms of accessibility. But good reading, both! I had the opposite reaction. The Foundation series I read when I was 12 or 13 and it's the thing that decided me on becoming a writer. V I tried when I was 15 and bounced off. Tried again at 22, bam! I finally read it in the 40s and loved it. I think it's much more SFnal than Gravity's Rainbow, but it, and the earlier Crying of Lot 49, establishes all Pynchon's major themes.

This coming assault on V will be my fifth attempt, I think. Absolutely swimming through Foundation. Lots of things tried to convince me on becoming a writer. I am, however, quite feckless, especially as regards anything requiring ambition, but at least I can enjoy the stories.

Sam.

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Sun May 12, 2013 7:33 pm

Samuel John Klein wrote:
Mark Tiedemann wrote: I am, however, quite feckless, especially as regards anything requiring ambition, but at least I can enjoy the stories.

Sam.

Slackers Unite!!

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 pm

THE BOOKS OF MAGIC

Samuel John Klein

Postby Samuel John Klein » Mon May 13, 2013 11:23 pm

Rick Keeney wrote:
Samuel John Klein wrote:
Mark Tiedemann wrote: I am, however, quite feckless, especially as regards anything requiring ambition, but at least I can enjoy the stories.

Sam.

Slackers Unite!!

I'll pencil you in for 'whenever'.

Sam.
Nevermind.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Tue May 14, 2013 11:35 am

Sam, I do not find it strange at all that you find Valentine & Peter's stories to be as compelling as Ender's. I know a number of people who felt the same way. Ender was fairly removed from the rest of the world, his siblings gave us a perspective on what their society was like and some rather prophetic ways in which changes could be achieved.

How these characters are treated is one of the more intriguing aspects of the upcoming film
Governments, if they endure, always tend increasingly toward aristrocratic forms. No gov't in history has been known to evade this pattern. And as the aristocracy develops, gov't tends more and mroe to act exclusively in the interests of the ruling class

Rick Keeney

Postby Rick Keeney » Tue May 14, 2013 11:49 am

Samuel John Klein wrote:
I'll pencil you in for 'whenever'.

Sam.
Nevermind.

I don't savvy.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Tue May 14, 2013 9:43 pm

Clifford Simak

WAYSTATION

CITY

A CHOICE OF GODS

Great stuff from an Old Master whose work I missed when I was younger and reading extensively in the field.
“We must not always talk in the marketplace,” Hester Prynne said, “of what happens to us in the forest.”
-Nathaniel Hawthorne, The Scarlet Letter

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Wed May 15, 2013 9:35 am

Currently reading Georgia O'Keeffe and Ansel Adams: Natural Affinities by Barbara Buhler Lynes and Sandra L. Phillips in collaboration with the Georgia O'Keeffe Museum.

It's a fascinating account of how these two 20th Century masters met and often used the same subjects for their work. It's a really good look at their work, their approach and the friendship between the two.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed May 15, 2013 9:40 am

We downplay American artists. We have some of the best.

Return to “Pop Culture”