Whatcha reading?

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

David Loftus

Whatcha reading?

Postby David Loftus » Tue May 23, 2006 2:32 pm

I see our current reading thread got swept out in the last Board housecleaning.

For the record, I'm on p. 612 of Bob Spitz's 2005 bio of the Beatles (solid, but with odd quirks in the writing) and more than halfway through Sam Weller's lite bio of Ray Bradbury.

The California Literary Review just posted my review of _I,Wabenzi_, an quirky memoir by Rafi Zabor:

http://www.calitreview.com/Reviews/wabenzi_087.htm

although the book and review are probably not going to be half as interesting to most of you as same with regard to Geoff Emerick's new book on being sound engineer for the Beatles. (It was reading that which got me back on a Beatles kick, so that I took the Spitz book and half a dozen others out of the library.) I turned in my review of the Emerick a couple days ago, but they probably won't post it for another week.

Oh, I'm also reading stories of O. Henry and Saki for future performances of "Story Time for Grownups."
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Tue May 23, 2006 3:27 pm

"Galapagos" by Vonnegut Jr. An od but incredibly creative little yarn. The plot is almost as important as the story - told backwards here by a kind of Greek Chorus. He tells us right from the outset what is going to happen, then takes his jolly sweet time gettting there.

"Room 13" by Henry Garfield, which isn't a bad little yarn about werewolves and haunted classrooms, but seems to be one of those thrillers that doesn't go anywhere.
Dramatic tension doesn't build up at all: it's diffused piecemeal.

Do you know the sort?

Where one dramatic revelation after another is revealed most undramatically and taken for granted for the remainder of the book, and where dramatic moments happen one-at-a-time in between long rest-periods. So werewolves and ghosts actually become rather blasse. An odd decision for a writer to make if I may be so bold.

Duane

Postby Duane » Tue May 23, 2006 3:36 pm

Dying Of The Light by George RR Martin.

An amazing mix of SF and fantasy imagery, and perhaps timely these days, a culture clash between a "modern" civilization and one that seems to mirror something out of the Middle East.

Jan

Postby Jan » Tue May 23, 2006 4:41 pm

most importantly:
Henry Miller REMEMBER TO REMEMBER (the love letter to France)
David Trueba FOUR FRIENDS (QUATRO AMIGOS) (same plot I wanted to use, but this guy was faster)
Simone de Beauvoir THE PRIME OF LIFE (LA FORCE DE L'AGE) (autobiography, part 2)
Primo Levi IF THIS IS A MAN (life in Auschwitz, which I had the chance to visit recently)

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Tue May 23, 2006 6:38 pm

I read the Geoff Emerick book a few weeks ago. Liked it.

I just finished Robert Greenfield's biography of Timothy Leary today. I posted a preliminary review at my blog at http://rpk.livejournal.com/92468.html
"Everything... Everything... Everything gonna be all RIGHT this mornin'..."
-- Muddy Waters

Anthony Ravenscroft

Postby Anthony Ravenscroft » Wed May 24, 2006 12:01 am

This evening finished ADV2. Halfway through Behavior in Public Places, Erving Goffman. About to get into Thirteen O'Clock, & Other Zero Hours, Cyril Kornbluth (as Cecil Corwin), ed. James Blish. Probably ought to finish How to Solve It, G Polya.

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Wed May 24, 2006 8:48 am

Just finished "No Longer Virgin," by Bill Smith, one of the Barely-Legal series published by Nightshade. Not as good as its predecessor, "Locker Room Lust."

Am also delving into a novelization of the new "Poseidon" movie (ghost-written by Peter David), and finishing up a really good cocktail recipe book I got for a steal at my neighbor's garage sale.

Oh, and John Webster's "The Devil's Lawcase," while I crunch on my Rice Krispies in the morning. I bought this edition because it has lots of pictures and cuts out the boring parts.

Steve Evil

Postby Steve Evil » Wed May 24, 2006 2:40 pm

Indeed.

David Loftus

Postby David Loftus » Wed May 24, 2006 5:56 pm

Eric is joking, of course.

The Webster was an especially fine touch.
War is, at first, the hope that one will be better off; next, the expectation that the other fellow will be worse off; then, the satisfaction that he isn't any better off; and, finally, the surprise at everyone's being worse off. - Karl Kraus

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Thu May 25, 2006 7:48 am

I am finishing up The Silmarillion for about the 20th time. Finished up re-reading One Day in September last week and needed something a little lighter after reading about the Munich Massacre, the unconscionable actions of the German government and the hit squad the Israelis sent after the terrorists.

Somehow, reading about Elves seemed and Middle Earth seemed comforting

One of the great things about where I work now is that I can take the bus into downtown Minneapolis and I have a chance to do about an hour or so of reading each day.

At MiniCon, Harlan recommended 2 books by Richard Sapir, Far Arena and the Body. I am considering ordering them from Amazon. Anybody read them?

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Thu May 25, 2006 8:57 am

Yes, I was joking, except for the cocktail book, which is good because it was published in 1970 and has great little black-line graphics of people partying to go along with recipes for drinks like the Harvey Wallbanger.

Actually reading Age of Innocence by Wharton, The Company by Littell, a book on how to fly small planes, and am trying to finish Master of the Senate by Caro, a bio of Lyndon Johnson.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu May 25, 2006 12:41 pm

Just finished Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, and picked up Tim Powers' The Annubis Gates. Can recommend the former, jury's still out on the latter.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu May 25, 2006 12:43 pm

And the cocktail books are never out of fashion, no matter [b]what[/i] MADD says.
- I love to find adventure. All I need is a change of clothes, my Nikon, an open mind and a strong cup of coffee.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Thu May 25, 2006 12:44 pm

Yeesh. Getting my commands mixed as badly as my drinks.

"No matter what MADD says."

Mindtraveller

Postby Mindtraveller » Thu May 25, 2006 3:16 pm

Just started Charles Stross's collection Toast. Suspect it's too brainy for me, though.
If you could be me, who would you be?

Return to “Pop Culture”