Infinite Crisis (major spoilers for those who have not read)

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

markabaddon

Infinite Crisis (major spoilers for those who have not read)

Postby markabaddon » Thu May 11, 2006 9:58 am

This series really bothered me because it had so much potential. I was really enjoying it up until the final issue which was just a complete letdown.

I greatly enjoyed George Perez's covers and artwork within the comic. This guy has been doing great stuff for 2 decades at least (I became aware of him during his Teen Titans run). However, the art was all of the board in this series, especially the last issue.

Perez's work on the 2 page splash page early in issue 7 was great but I do not understand why the background was done in a red ink and pencils, which made it really hard to comprehend what was going on in the background. I suppose the editors were trying to convey that this was a chaotic battle and wanted the art to heighten that impression, but it just did not work for me. Also, there were a couple of pages that looked like they were drawn by kids in elementary school.

I am referring specifically to the shot of the heroes after Doomsday is taken down and the final splash page showing the heroes who will be active for the year that Batman, Supes and Wonder Woman are on sabbatical. How someone could manage to make the Martian Manhunter look like the Pilsbury doughboy on that page is beyond belief.

They story itself was strong initially but then I think just went off the tracks at the end. I was OK with Luthor and Superboy being the biggest bad guys and setting everything up for them to re-arrange the universe. But then at the end, they seemed to completely lose all sense of what their original goal was.

I found it bizarre that Alex Luthor, this super-genius, gets tracked down so easily by Joker and gets blown away by him. While I like the fact that Joker snuffs him, in retaliation for not involving him in his Society, it seemed to pat for me. Also, why was it that whenever Alex was around Lex before, Lex could barely speak and now he is able to plot, plan and speak. Continuity would be nice, people.

Speaking of continuity, why would Batman threaten Alex with a gun? Bruce has sworn never to use a gun and it seemed totally out of character for him to do that. Then, having Diana, miss I twist your neck, be the one to tell him it is not worth it seems hypocritical.

Finally, the battle between the Supermen and Superboy was very confusing. Why were they able to crash through a red sun, and retain their powers? What was that planet that they crashed onto, that had kryptonite all over the place?

OK, I will shut up now and I am very curious to hear what others have to say about this book. There were good parts, the re-emergence of the Detective Chimp, Black Adam's new role, the reset of the role of the Spectre, but I just have a feeling that there was a larger vision they had in mind for this project (I am unsure what that could be) and they chickened out at the last second.

Your thoughts?

Steven Dooner

Postby Steven Dooner » Thu May 11, 2006 9:35 pm

Thanks for starting the thread.

I should add that I don't think that Infinite Crisis is the best comic book story ever. But I do think it was a fun read with a lot of ideas and some very good dialogue by Geoff Johns.

The concept of the hero is clearly what the entire series is about, and the book is itself an attempt to bring the the main heroes (Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman) back to their core qualities, but to keep them in a semi-realistic, imperfect world.

I know their were some brutal and shocking deaths in the book, but I think the level of violence was meant to disturb the readers with a touch of the imperfect reality that Johns is writing about throughout (a perfect world dosn't need a Superman).

Steve Dooner
"First we feel, then we fall"
--Finnegans Wake

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri May 12, 2006 7:03 am

Steven Dooner wrote:I know their were some brutal and shocking deaths in the book, but I think the level of violence was meant to disturb the readers with a touch of the imperfect reality that Johns is writing about throughout (a perfect world dosn't need a Superman). Steve Dooner

If that's the case, where the hell's OUR Superman? :cry:

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Fri May 12, 2006 7:51 am

Not a problem starting the thread, it seemed like a number of people wanted to talk about this, other than Frank Church (or Myra Fleeney, or whatever his true name is)

I would agree with you that they were trying to play with the concept of superheroes but I think it was handled clumsily. The subject of shades of grey was explored much more effectively in the Identity Crisis series and even in Villains United, where a group of 6 low level super villains act more honorably than some of the heroes.

Violence in comics, much like violence in the movies, neither shocks nor offends me. Where I become annoyed is when it is gratuitous or does not serve to advance the story.

What real purpose was served by showing Kane breaking Judo Master's back or Superboy ripping apart various heroes. I can understand the last scene, with Superboy carving the S symbol into his chest to illustrate how this dude has finally completely cracked up and feels that the title of Superboy can never be taken from him but much of the rest of it served no purpose.

To Alan Coil's point, I heard that the lawsuit the family of Siegel (not sure if Shuster was involved) may have had an impact on the deaths of both Connor Kent and Superman Earth 2. That could be baseless speculation, and I hope it is because if it is true I may permanently boycott DC.

DC spent decades screwing the families of the developers of Superman out of money they should have earned and if they have become so petty that they would eliminate a viable character simply to avoid further payments to the family of the man who created those characters, then I could never give them another nickel.

Ben, our Superman is named Albert Pujols and he is currently playing for the St Louis Cardinals. Watching him play baseball is like watching a superhero in action.

Return to “Pop Culture”