Now Rob should see Serenity so he can deconstruct this quote

For the discussion of Movies, Television, Comics, and other existential distractions.

Moderator: Moderator

Jon Stover
Banned

Now Rob should see Serenity so he can deconstruct this quote

Postby Jon Stover » Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:29 pm

From New York magazine:

"As writer-director Joss Whedon proved in his long run on Buffy the Vampire Slayer (seven seasons) and his short one on Firefly (eleven episodes), he has two distinct yet complementary gifts: He can write quick, gabby banter for an array of heroes and oddballs better than any auteur since Preston Sturges, and he can dramatize the camaraderie within an ensemble better than anyone since Howard Hawks. Thus, Serenity—his big-screen expansion of Firefly, bankrolled by Universal because the DVD sold way beyond expectations—is a sci-fi saga that manages to be at once stirring and screwball, gut-busting and gut-wrenching, and more fun than you had at any bigger-budget movie this past summer."

I like Whedon, but I can't say I've ever had a moment where I thought 'Boy, he's the best at this since Sturges and Hawks! He's like Sturgehawk Jr.!'

Starring Buster Keaton.

Cheers, Jon

Ben

Postby Ben » Fri Sep 30, 2005 8:46 pm

Whedon's writing style was always too snide and snippy for me to enjoy it. Drop the obnoxious wisecracks and just tell the goddamn story already. I also found the attempts at "social commentary" on BUFFY and ANGEL sophomoric and migraine-inducing. An episode of ANGEL entitled "Billy" was particularly odious, wherein the concept was put forth that all men, on a deep, hidden level, are brutish, misogynistic pigs. Sure, there was a throwaway line towards the end of the story where Fred tries to justify Wesley's psychotic behaviour as something "done to him" and not something "within him", but this effort was so transparent and added with such minimal sincerity, it fell flat on its face. I especially found the term "primordial misogyny" (used in the episode) contemptible. If such a thing DID exist, we wouldn't be here right now. Want to know why? Because our moron male ancestors would have wiped out their only means of reproduction. Granted, Whedon didn't write that particular episode, but his control over both series was virtually complete, and not a single script could go by him without his A-OK.

(For some oddball reason, I always felt his shows were strangely anti-intellectual too. There seems to be a recurring, unspoken theme of "it's OK to be stupid" throughout the episodes. Heck, look at Giles - his intellectual abilities are often ignored, even subtly looked down upon by the rest of the cast. In this day and age where a slobbering waste of flesh can become President, and then re-elected, I guess I can understand why stupidity would be re-interpreted as a virtue.)

Jon Stover
Banned

Postby Jon Stover » Fri Sep 30, 2005 9:16 pm

"Billy" is vile, no question. I don't think Whedon is hostile to learning as an abstract, though -- but his shows are rife with a very odd dichotomy between 'good learning' (which is usually possessed by women who somehow glom onto it, generally through intuition and/or their own 'natural' smarts) and bad, book-type learning which, at best, makes one a dweeb and/or wrong a lot of the time. Women are inherently better at witchcraft/arcane knowledge because they're tied into its real source; men are just stumbling around. Kaylee (in Firefly) just knows how to be an engineer -- no book larnin' involved. She jest has to look at an engine. I mean, even Scotty liked reading engineering manuals.

I am, of course, open to convincing alternate readings. It is odd, though, that Willow goes completely bad only when she is (quite literally) engulfed by the written word, which incarnates 'evil' magic, as separate from pure magic, which emanates from the Earth. Just like women.

Cheers, Jon

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Oct 03, 2005 12:13 pm

No more space ship films...nooooooooooooo

yamsham

Postby yamsham » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:34 pm

Jon Stover wrote:I am, of course, open to convincing alternate readings.

I think you might be reading a little too deep. Gawking at the trees, as it were.
yamsham - an ounce of perception, a pound of
obscure, processing information at half speed.

Return to “Pop Culture”