SPIDER Forums.

Suggestions for and discussions of the website and forums.

Moderator: Moderator

JaySmith

Postby JaySmith » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:46 am

>And as of 9am tomorrow, you can once again wax philosophic on the subject of Jeffty.<

Gosh, how kind of you to give us all a cooling off period we don't need. I think your tenure as substitute teacher is going a little sour. Pass.

You're right, Eric. Cooler heads like yours should be counted on to decide these things. How balanced and even-tempered you are. I absolutely should look to you for advice on how to properly mediate a discussion.

As for sour, show me a time in the last six months on this board when you were anything BUT sour. And I don't know what you mean by PASS, but if it means you're going to wander off and snark somewhere else, I guess I should feel bad, but I don't.

As I said before, if you WANT to continue the discussion all you have to do is start a new post. That's all I wanted from the beginning but since you would rather whine like some offended sorority activist than find a solution on your own, I can't help you.

Jim -
The last few posts, however heated or pedantic, focused on the story, and the merits of a specific interpretation of the ending. Why not trust the posters to wind down their disagreements in their own fashion, without intervention from a higher authority?

A simple reason. And I understand if you disagree with me on this. Of all the Forum topics in this place, of all the places we can post, I want to keep SPIDER to a higher standard of discourse. That's why I volunteered to moderate. I don't WANT to tell people to shut up or go away. That's never been my intention. The point of SPIDER is to show us at our best. If not, what's the point of having it? That is why there are Announcements, Stickies and regular posts in the same forum. I don't want to discount other conversations, I simply want them to be posted where it is most appropriate.

I won't delete anything. I agree with Eric that as bad as a post could be, I shouldn't make that call. This leaves me with WHAT mediation option after "Please move it elsewhere" has failed?

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:32 pm

>The point of SPIDER is to show us at our best. <

This strikes me as a rather bizarre mission statement. First, who decided that SPIDER was to "show us at our best?"

Next, WHO are we being shown to? The world? As in, the 6 other people besides the participants who actually read the thing?

Methinks you have taken your own role way too seriously, and have applied a standard to the discussions that is not only highly subjective, but in this case, very over-stated, given what was actually posted.

And whether or not I'm "sour" all the time, this is about your shutting down a forum, not my personality. That was just silly and schoolmarmish, and you'll be glad when everyone forgets you did it.

JaySmith

Postby JaySmith » Sat Jul 16, 2005 12:51 pm

I don't know what makes you so angry, Eric. If being a self-righteous dick helps you get through the day, I applaud you for not standing on the street corner and conducting yourself there the same way you do here.

If I made a misstep, of all the people who have cause to take me to task for it - YOU are at the bottom of the list. I was hoping you would see the hypocrisy of calling ME out when all you seem to do around here is bitch at Rick and anyone else who pisses you off. Sorry you can't see the connection. But, hey...there you go. I opened it up because I'm such a fucking monster, Eric and I need to see the error of my ways.
"I dig the man's book. It's all about me! And I LOVES me the monkeys!" - Hanuman

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:28 pm

JaySmith wrote:If being a self-righteous dick helps you get through the day,

I would say that in one way or another this is precisely what helps most of us get through the day.

As for the rest of what's been directed your way Jay, HAHAHAHAHAHA welcome to the past ten years of my life, SUCKER! Taste the rainbow!

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:28 pm

> If being a self-righteous dick <

Um, I think this post needs to be deleted, or this thread suspended. This Jay Smith charactrer is out of control...

I'm not angry, Jay. Never have been on Webderland, except once, on the Pavilion at Harlan.

My involvement in the Jeffty thread was very limited...my signal contributions were to tell that bumpkin TKE that his profanity diluted his points, and that I thought deleting posts was a bad idea.

For this, I seem to have become your pariah, and now you have descended to the very level you sought to curtail. I'm not sure how that makes you qualified to moderate a forum; it certainly diminishes the moral authority you assumed when you shut things down.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:31 pm

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:19 pm

My next avatar! Dibs! Dibs!
--
"His plan therefore was not to refuse admission to the idea, but to keep it at bay until his mind was ready to receive it. Then let it in and pulverise it. Obliterate the bastard."--Samuel Beckett

JaySmith

Postby JaySmith » Sat Jul 16, 2005 3:28 pm

For this, I seem to have become your pariah, and now you have descended to the very level you sought to curtail. I'm not sure how that makes you qualified to moderate a forum; it certainly diminishes the moral authority you assumed when you shut things down.

Moral authority? Bitch, please.
"your pariah"? Dude you're just a cranky toddler. Talk about your delusions of grandeur.

P.A. Berman
Banned

Postby P.A. Berman » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:32 pm

Rick-- If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times... Stop sneaking into my house and taking pictures of my cats in their underwear. Next time I'm getting that restraining order.

PAB
I don't know. I don't care. And it doesn't matter anyway. ~Jack Kerouac

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » Sat Jul 16, 2005 4:49 pm

Kitty needs a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor.
--

"His plan therefore was not to refuse admission to the idea, but to keep it at bay until his mind was ready to receive it. Then let it in and pulverise it. Obliterate the bastard."--Samuel Beckett

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Sat Jul 16, 2005 6:03 pm

Jan wrote:Hi Rick, it think it's time to replace the "other place" link in the AD Pavillion with something more inviting and clear, like... "The Ellison Bulletin Board". Jan

Noted.

rich

Postby rich » Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:18 pm

If I wanted to call all you guys cocksuckers, can I do it here or do I need to start a new thread?

I actually agree with Eric on a few things, but I think if Jay wants to have a 'cooling off' period, fine and dandy. I doubt the literary importance of some, if not all, of these SPIDER discussions, but I see nothing wrong with the moderator calling time out when he feels like it.

Not being able to post has never killed anyone.

Well, except for that guy who was trying to name his killer in a chatroom, but they blocked his access so that crime went unsolved.

Ladlud

Postby Ladlud » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:40 am

It is really??

Hatedbasderup43

Postby Hatedbasderup43 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 6:24 pm

Return to “Suggestions”