SPIDER Forums.

Suggestions for and discussions of the website and forums.

Moderator: Moderator

JaySmith

SPIDER Forums.

Postby JaySmith » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:43 am

I would like to see a new Forum dedicated to the SPIDER discussions. We could move the existing topics to that forum and continue on with the program Jan started.

As I see it, this would provide a few advantages -

1. Harlan could go directly to that topic without having to sift through the other discussions in the General Forum.

2. It would be a makeshift FAQ for newcomers to the forum and provide us with ongoing discussion of specific titles.

3. It will encourage focus on the subject and minimize distractions and digressions.

4. Each topic could be made a Sticky which would for easy referencing.

I volunteer to Moderate such a forum to keep it running smoothly and posted promptly. I also welcome any suggestions to make the forum run pleasantly and smoothly for all. :)

Yelena Virago

Re: SPIDER Forums.

Postby Yelena Virago » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:29 pm

Motion seconded. Webmaster Rick?

P.A. Berman
Banned

Postby P.A. Berman » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:16 pm

Jay, will you make sure there is no adolescent behavior in the SPIDER forum? And no limericks. Those things are dangerous.

:twisted:

But seriously, yeah, I'd like to see those forums become part of the landscape around here. They've been fun and enlightening. Thanks for offering to moderate.

PAB
I don't know. I don't care. And it doesn't matter anyway. ~Jack Kerouac

JaySmith

Postby JaySmith » Thu Mar 24, 2005 9:07 am

I don't really see the need for a moderator once the system is set up, but I didn't want to ask Rick to do something new without being willing to contribute in some way. All I would really do is set up new conversation threads and post a calendar.

How people use the topics is not my concern unless they take things broadly off-topic.
"I dig the man's book. It's all about me! And I LOVES me the monkeys!" - Hanuman

Yelena Virago

Postby Yelena Virago » Thu Mar 31, 2005 8:05 pm

Oh, it needs a moderator. Trust me. Also a limited membership, although that's not gonna happen, and is only my own opinion.

Velvet

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:35 am

A separate forum sounds like a good idea. The General forum is getting VERY cluttered, and discussion threads can be lost rather easily.

I don't think the forum needs a moderator. Jay has volunteered to provide some information and schedules, and since he has a real life I think that's quite enough.

And I promise I will only use limericks for the greater good and not for evil.

Tempting as the latter may be.

:twisted:

Chuck
Some people are wedded to their ideology the way nuns are wed to God.

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:17 am

I can set up a forum with relatively little effort. Just let me know what you want the name and description to be.

A moderator presently cannot control membership (invite, ban, etc). What powers I could give a moderator include:
- Editing messages
- Deleting messages
- Making "sticky" (stuck to the top of the list) messages
- Making announcments
- Creating polls

I would have to think about if I feel like giving the power to edit and delete the words of others to someone else. I almost NEVER have to do this. Maybe once or twice in the whole history of the forums, and only then because of a threat to someone's personal privacy or liberty..

JaySmith

Postby JaySmith » Fri Apr 01, 2005 9:19 am

Rick -

As far as "Editing" - no. It's not for me to do.
"Delete" may become necessary, but I leave that to your decision.

Polls are goofy, in my humble opinion - even though I sometimes get drunk and create them.

DEFINITELY "sticky" & "announcement" creation - that would allow us to keep the stories in some order.

My goal is to create a forum with minimal extra effort or involvement on your part.

If we could move the thread from the GENERAL forums to the SPIDER forum, that would be great.

Title? I dunno. I'm open to suggestions. My own is:

S.P.I.D.E.R. Commentary
In-depth discussion of specific Ellison stories and works.

My dad just went into the hospital. I'll check back tonight.
"I dig the man's book. It's all about me! And I LOVES me the monkeys!" - Hanuman

admin
Site Admin

Postby admin » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:05 am

Okay, it's set up and you're moderator. Will leave it to you to provide a header post and explanation within.

If desired I can set permissions so only registered users (those who have provided an e-mail address and been verified) can post and/or view.

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun Jul 10, 2005 6:16 pm

Hi Rick, it think it's time to replace the "other place" link in the AD Pavillion with something more inviting and clear, like... "The Ellison Bulletin Board". We've discussed this somewhere before when we tried to make the S.P.I.D.E.R threads easier for newcomers to find, but you weren't there then.

Jan

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:13 am

There's not a lot of point in participating in discussions if they are going to be moderated like a 5th-grade class. Now they are being locked on the whims of the moderators.

Rick, I appreciate your travails, and you are right in several things you say about me, but comparing me to McVeigh was pretty base. It's an association that I don't think, even in my worst moments, I've earned.

If you guys want to throw a tea party, where everyone is polite as pie, running an Internet forum with unverified access is hardly the way to do it. While I agree certain standards of decency and legality have to be met, recently the activism of the administrators has been pretty heavy-handed.

Webderland has proved itself time and again resilient to trolls, and those of us (including me) who have stepped out of line have always been slapped down by the collective sense of the group. Why you guys suddenly aren't trusting that, and are taking this activist, Nanny-state hand in everything, is a mystery, and rather than helping, it's just making things worse.

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:14 am

>I would have to think about if I feel like giving the power to edit and delete the words of others to someone else. I almost NEVER have to do this. Maybe once or twice in the whole history of the forums, and only then because of a threat to someone's personal privacy or liberty..<

That was your policy back in April, Rick, and it was a good one. So why the sudden change?

JaySmith

Postby JaySmith » Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:38 am

Jesus Farking Christ, Martin.

You make it sound like I've shut the board down and I'm trying to control the content beyond the POSTED RULES of the SPIDER Forums.

You can post on whatever topic you like in SPIDER, just not in the SINGLE THREAD dedicated to the story. I think I made that clear. If you want to call someone a cocksucker, take it outside. It's a simple rule, intended to preserve the thread and make it easy for future users to get involved in the discussion without having to sift through the constant stirring up of bullshit posturing and ego stroking.

Start a NEW THREAD. That's why I distinguish threads by Stickies and Announcements! If you want to talk about how the world and the SPIDER rules are unfair, fine!

(Also notice that you can talk about the CURRENT story, Mefisto in Onyx or any of the other 18 stories. And as of 9am tomorrow, you can once again wax philosophic on the subject of Jeffty.)

If you want to continue the personal attacks or digress into some parallel discussion, you simply need to go to the Meta-Thread or start a whole new thread. I didn't think that was too difficult or complicated.

It's Moderation.

I say, "Hey, knock it off."

Someone says, "Yes I understand your rule, but it doesn't apply to me."

I say, "Yeah, it does."

But the conduct continues so instead of deleting posts, I shut the single thread down for 24 hours. I did so that posting your latest brain fart over the latest righteous indignation could be self-censored. If it's still so damned important that it needs to be said, it can be said tomorrow morning.

And make this clear, Eric: Rick didn't make that call. I decided to halt the thread for a bit in part based on your input. I haven't deleted or gagged anyone's input on this board.

Jim Davis

Postby Jim Davis » Sat Jul 16, 2005 10:16 am

I disagree with locking down the "Jeffty" thread, even for 24 hours, for anything less than the most flagrant violations, i.e. ad hominem attacks, threats, being completely off topic. The last few posts, however heated or pedantic, focused on the story, and the merits of a specific interpretation of the ending. Why not trust the posters to wind down their disagreements in their own fashion, without intervention from a higher authority?
--
"His plan therefore was not to refuse admission to the idea, but to keep it at bay until his mind was ready to receive it. Then let it in and pulverise it. Obliterate the bastard."--Samuel Beckett

Eric Martin
Banned

Postby Eric Martin » Sat Jul 16, 2005 11:27 am

Two comments:

Rick, I think I misunderstood that quote I used of yours. You were referring to giving others the power to delete, not to your own actions. Sorry about that.

Speaking of giving others control, Jay sez:

>And as of 9am tomorrow, you can once again wax philosophic on the subject of Jeffty.<

Gosh, how kind of you to give us all a cooling off period we don't need. I think your tenure as substitute teacher is going a little sour. Pass.

--Jesus Farking Martin

Return to “Suggestions”