Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

steveperry

Never Too Late

Postby steveperry » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:14 pm

Name: Steve Perry
Source: unca20091009.htm
Lot of folks start trying to write early, but not all do. I'm no example of expertise, but I spent a few years in the some-day-when-I-have-time-I'm-gonna-write mode. Until I realized that time wasn't piling up in the someday-bank.

I just looked up and realized I needed to get on the stick, because that was what I wanted to do when I grew up. Maybe I could have started earlier. Or maybe I wasn't ready because I needed to have done something first.

I was a bit younger than you, pushing thirty, but I've managed to write and sell a fair amount of material since.

Not talking literary excellence here -- but professional-class work isn't that difficult to achieve with a bit of practice. It's a skill -- it can be learned. Talent is something else, but sometimes skill will get you though times of no talent better than talent will get you through times of no skill (and thank you, Frank Freak.)

And I know of one woman who was in her fifties when she sat down to write a short story. Had a full time job, five kids, most of them still at home, and had to use the kitchen table, but the story turned into a book, and that into five more books, and she's doing quite well. She doesn't make any claims to literary excellence, but it does keep the wolf from the door. She probably makes more money than all of us here combined.

Money isn't the only measure, nor even the best one, but you are interesting in telling stories and getting paid for 'em, might as well start now. In five years, you'll be five years older, and you can have a bunch of stories or books under your belt or not. Go for it.

Perry

Steve Swanson

Nouns and verbs

Postby Steve Swanson » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:27 pm

Name: Steve Swanson
Source: unca20091007.htm
Mr. Ellison -

Thank you for thinking about my question on the flip-flopping "building blocks of language" (from 8th grade?). If I come across anything, I'll pass it along.

Steve

Steve Swanson

Nouns and verbs

Postby Steve Swanson » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:27 pm

Mr. Ellison -

Thank you for thinking about my question on the flip-flopping "building blocks of language" (from 8th grade?). If I come across anything, I'll pass it along.

Steve

Steve Swanson

Movie Poster

Postby Steve Swanson » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Mrs. Ellison

I'm glad to read you have a supply of _Dreams With Sharp Teeth_ posters. Please save one for me. I'll put a check in the mail tomorrow along with a note asking to have it personalized (and how).

Steve Swanson

Steve Swanson

Movie Poster

Postby Steve Swanson » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:35 pm

Mrs. Ellison

I'm glad to read you have a supply of _Dreams With Sharp Teeth_ posters. Please save one for me. I'll put a check in the mail tomorrow along with a note asking to have it personalized (and how).

Steve Swanson

paul

Susan and Sandra

Postby paul » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:42 pm

Name: Paul
Sandra, with all my heart, babes,

"RAH-RAH, SIS-BOOM-BAH!!!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tomorrow, I would like to send a check for a poster as well. If you please, Mrs. Susan, let us know if there are enough to go 'round? Thank you kindly, for everything.

paul

Susan and Sandra

Postby paul » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:42 pm

Name: Paul
Sandra, with all my heart, babes,

"RAH-RAH, SIS-BOOM-BAH!!!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tomorrow, I would like to send a check for a poster as well. If you please, Mrs. Susan, let us know if there are enough to go 'round? Thank you kindly, for everything.

jeff sturgeon

poster

Postby jeff sturgeon » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:32 pm

Name: jeff sturgeon
Susan
I'. going to be sending off a check pronto for a poster, if there is still one hopefully Uncle Harlan can scribble on it for me, thanks Susan and I want to definately be...again...on the Herc mailing list...thanks you guys
jeff

jeff sturgeon

poster

Postby jeff sturgeon » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:32 pm

Name: jeff sturgeon
Susan
I'. going to be sending off a check pronto for a poster, if there is still one hopefully Uncle Harlan can scribble on it for me, thanks Susan and I want to definately be...again...on the Herc mailing list...thanks you guys
jeff

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:58 pm

Name: Rob
I walked in my place only now and just got the news...

Ted is gone.

Whew..........he was around for a long time but it still hurts.

He was a Kennedy who fought for many of us.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:58 pm

Name: Rob
I walked in my place only now and just got the news...

Ted is gone.

Whew..........he was around for a long time but it still hurts.

He was a Kennedy who fought for many of us.

Tom

Blish Star Trek treatments

Postby Tom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:03 pm

Name: Tom Morgan
Well I got home and just had to go look at the Star Trek Readers I mentioned earlier. Looking them over for the first time in years brought me some surprises. Harlan and his team are probably aware of all they need concerning the series but here are some specifics that might be useful to them and general info that may be of interest to some here. I will refer to the original books as ST (1-11) and the Readers as STR (I-IV).

Harlan said he is aware of the Blish books written for Bantam. The STRs list the STs as copyrighted by Bantam Books, Inc. and Desilu Productions, Inc. The STRs however are listed as copyrighted by E. P. Dutton & Co., Inc. of New York, and published simultaneously in Canada by Clarke, Irwin & Company Limited, Toronto and Vancouver.

Near as I can tell there were not 12 STs but 11 (sorry, Bob). Each STR contain 3 STs, though not in order. STR IV is thus left one book short, which is made up for by including the Blish novel Spock Must Die.

ST 1-11 are copyright 1967 to 1975. Spock Must Die is from 1970. STR I-IV are copyright 1976 to 1978.

ST III and IV have no dedications, at least in my SFBC editions. ST I is dedicated to a family member. ST II is dedicated To Harlan Ellison, who was right all the time

In STR I the title of The City on the Edge of Forever has an asterisk. The footnote explains that Blish was aware that the aired script for the story differed drastically in some respects from Harlans original version. He states that Harlan was kind enough to provide him with a copy of the original and that he tried to make a story that he thought used the best elements of both scripts. Fans of Harlan who (like me) enjoyed reading his original script and/or who (like me) think the aired version was still a great episode and/or who are fans of Mr. Blish may want to seek out the story to see what choices and interpretations he made.

A good day to all here, except Dennis J. 36??? You are really 36??? My god man, what are you doing taking the time to post here? You should be talking to lawyers and accountants and picking out caskets. Spend some quality time with your loved ones while you still can. Contact the local hospital to see if they want to make a study of you. OK, I'm sure you get it. Go for it and the best of luck.

Tom

Blish Star Trek treatments

Postby Tom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:03 pm

Name: Tom Morgan
Well I got home and just had to go look at the Star Trek Readers I mentioned earlier. Looking them over for the first time in years brought me some surprises. Harlan and his team are probably aware of all they need concerning the series but here are some specifics that might be useful to them and general info that may be of interest to some here. I will refer to the original books as ST (1-11) and the Readers as STR (I-IV).

Harlan said he is aware of the Blish books written for Bantam. The STRs list the STs as copyrighted by Bantam Books, Inc. and Desilu Productions, Inc. The STRs however are listed as copyrighted by E. P. Dutton & Co., Inc. of New York, and published simultaneously in Canada by Clarke, Irwin & Company Limited, Toronto and Vancouver.

Near as I can tell there were not 12 STs but 11 (sorry, Bob). Each STR contain 3 STs, though not in order. STR IV is thus left one book short, which is made up for by including the Blish novel Spock Must Die.

ST 1-11 are copyright 1967 to 1975. Spock Must Die is from 1970. STR I-IV are copyright 1976 to 1978.

ST III and IV have no dedications, at least in my SFBC editions. ST I is dedicated to a family member. ST II is dedicated To Harlan Ellison, who was right all the time

In STR I the title of The City on the Edge of Forever has an asterisk. The footnote explains that Blish was aware that the aired script for the story differed drastically in some respects from Harlans original version. He states that Harlan was kind enough to provide him with a copy of the original and that he tried to make a story that he thought used the best elements of both scripts. Fans of Harlan who (like me) enjoyed reading his original script and/or who (like me) think the aired version was still a great episode and/or who are fans of Mr. Blish may want to seek out the story to see what choices and interpretations he made.

A good day to all here, except Dennis J. 36??? You are really 36??? My god man, what are you doing taking the time to post here? You should be talking to lawyers and accountants and picking out caskets. Spend some quality time with your loved ones while you still can. Contact the local hospital to see if they want to make a study of you. OK, I'm sure you get it. Go for it and the best of luck.

William Sherman

Edward M. Kennedy, R.I P. (1932 - 2009)

Postby William Sherman » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:18 am

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

Another lion has left us.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

William Sherman

Edward M. Kennedy, R.I P. (1932 - 2009)