Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:19 am

Name: Frank Church
Source: unca20091009.htm
Go to the forums. In my Frank Church's Pop Culture Minture forum, I will describe the disgusting first big grossout scene in Hostel 2. I will do it there as a warning, so no virgin eyes will be forced to be confronted by it.

The sad part is that Eli Roth does have some directing skills. Too bad he wastes them.

Bob Ingersoll

Some Older COTF Merchandise Harlan Probably Knows About, But

Postby Bob Ingersoll » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:11 am

Name: Bob Ingersoll
Source: unca20091007.htm
John Charmichael,

Although I'm sure Harlan knows about these two books given their age, you did ask for older items as well.

The first is the CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER FOTONOVEL # 1(ORIGINAL 1977), ed. #11345 from Bantam Books. This was a fumetti-style reprint of the episode which put word balloons and captions from the original episode over pictures from the episode. And, yes, they led off with COTF for this series.

The second item is that back in the 60s and early 70s, James Blish wrote a series of 12 books which adapted every STAR TREK episode as a prose short story. COTF appeared in the second book in the series which came out in 1968. Bantam Book B030294

As I said, Harlan probably already knows about these, but I though I'd err on the side of caution and mention them just in case.

Bob Ingersoll

Bob Ingersoll

Some Older COTF Merchandise Harlan Probably Knows About, But

Postby Bob Ingersoll » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:11 am

Name: Bob Ingersoll
John Charmichael,

Although I'm sure Harlan knows about these two books given their age, you did ask for older items as well.

The first is the CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER FOTONOVEL # 1(ORIGINAL 1977), ed. #11345 from Bantam Books. This was a fumetti-style reprint of the episode which put word balloons and captions from the original episode over pictures from the episode. And, yes, they led off with COTF for this series.

The second item is that back in the 60s and early 70s, James Blish wrote a series of 12 books which adapted every STAR TREK episode as a prose short story. COTF appeared in the second book in the series which came out in 1968. Bantam Book B030294

As I said, Harlan probably already knows about these, but I though I'd err on the side of caution and mention them just in case.

Bob Ingersoll

Tom

The City

Postby Tom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:35 am

Name: Tom Morgan
Those James Blish treatments were also collected into larger volumes for the SF Book Club (and perhaps elsewhere) called The Star Trek Reader volumes I to IV. I have them at home if you need any particular numbers from them.

A good day to all here.

Tom

The City

Postby Tom » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:35 am

Name: Tom Morgan
Those James Blish treatments were also collected into larger volumes for the SF Book Club (and perhaps elsewhere) called The Star Trek Reader volumes I to IV. I have them at home if you need any particular numbers from them.

A good day to all here.

shagin

Postby shagin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:26 am

Name: shagin
SUSAN: Please add me to the list of DWST posters, personalized, if supplies permit. Let me know and I'll raid my piggy bank for it.

I feel the interview went well. This is for a tutoring position, 20 hr/week, decent pay, doing research and assignment set up as well as helping with kids as needed. She was pleased that I had experience working with special needs children as some of her clients have IEPs for academic assistance. I feel pretty good about this, but she has three more interviews and hopes to make a decision this weekend. Fingers crossed.

As with Mary, I don't want a hand out, I want a chance. It's frustrating that I'm "too old" for certain jobs yet "not old enough" for those samea jobs. Yeah, that's my perception but it's based on the reality of the work force in Kitsap County.

Hmmm...pom-poms made from warm fuzzies....?

shagin

shagin

Postby shagin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:26 am

SUSAN: Please add me to the list of DWST posters, personalized, if supplies permit. Let me know and I'll raid my piggy bank for it.

I feel the interview went well. This is for a tutoring position, 20 hr/week, decent pay, doing research and assignment set up as well as helping with kids as needed. She was pleased that I had experience working with special needs children as some of her clients have IEPs for academic assistance. I feel pretty good about this, but she has three more interviews and hopes to make a decision this weekend. Fingers crossed.

As with Mary, I don't want a hand out, I want a chance. It's frustrating that I'm "too old" for certain jobs yet "not old enough" for those samea jobs. Yeah, that's my perception but it's based on the reality of the work force in Kitsap County.

Hmmm...pom-poms made from warm fuzzies....?

shagin

shagin

More COTEOF Information

Postby shagin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:34 am

Regarding the listing for "The Edge of Forever" special edition card from Decipher, I the links below are for a closed eBay auction for a foil version of the card in question (pictured) and a page from the Memory-Alpha Star Trek Wiki page stating when the card was originally released.

http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0335404059

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/CCG:_Promotional_Cards

shagin

More COTEOF Information

Postby shagin » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:34 am

Regarding the listing for "The Edge of Forever" special edition card from Decipher, I the links below are for a closed eBay auction for a foil version of the card in question (pictured) and a page from the Memory-Alpha Star Trek Wiki page stating when the card was originally released.

http://cgi.ebay.ph/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0335404059

http://memory-alpha.org/en/wiki/CCG:_Promotional_Cards

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

TWO

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:38 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
1) M. ZAMBRANA: Spamalot, thanksalot.

2) BLESS YOU ALL for the "Star-Trek: City On the Edge of Forever" responses to John C. Yes, I know about Jim Blish's adaptation from Bantam Books, way back when; and the fumetti-style adaptation. And the Franklin Mint dinner plate, and the action figures of Sister Edith Keeler, et al. And the Hallmark talking Xmas tree ornament. And the Topps trading cards.

But there are myriad other items extant. So have at it, brothers'n'sisters. All of this as response when Paramount sits down and tries to plead parsimony (the "we is jus' po' li'l licensors, workin' in the beanfield") with their quivering paws holding the tin cup.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

TWO

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:38 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
1) M. ZAMBRANA: Spamalot, thanksalot.

2) BLESS YOU ALL for the "Star-Trek: City On the Edge of Forever" responses to John C. Yes, I know about Jim Blish's adaptation from Bantam Books, way back when; and the fumetti-style adaptation. And the Franklin Mint dinner plate, and the action figures of Sister Edith Keeler, et al. And the Hallmark talking Xmas tree ornament. And the Topps trading cards.

But there are myriad other items extant. So have at it, brothers'n'sisters. All of this as response when Paramount sits down and tries to plead parsimony (the "we is jus' po' li'l licensors, workin' in the beanfield") with their quivering paws holding the tin cup.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Semi-Writer

Welcomealot.

Postby Semi-Writer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:31 pm

Name: Semi-Writer
Harlan: I wasn't quite sure which one of you would want it more, so that's a decision for you two to make.

I have yet to see "Spamalot," but I hope it was a good time for both you and Susan.

Interesting. The news services provided aerial coverage on the little girl who got her arm caught in a pool drain several days ago... but there's always a media blackout on the "other things" that get caught in pool drains. I was in Virginia once when word circulated about a guy who got caught (do I gotta spell it out?), but he was too humiliated to do anything; finally, two hours later and suffering from hypothermia, he summoned help and someone called 911. Struck me as funny that here in America, where we'll turn anything into "news," such incidents are kept in the dark.

Semi-Writer

Welcomealot.

Postby Semi-Writer » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:31 pm

Name: Semi-Writer
Harlan: I wasn't quite sure which one of you would want it more, so that's a decision for you two to make.

I have yet to see "Spamalot," but I hope it was a good time for both you and Susan.

Interesting. The news services provided aerial coverage on the little girl who got her arm caught in a pool drain several days ago... but there's always a media blackout on the "other things" that get caught in pool drains. I was in Virginia once when word circulated about a guy who got caught (do I gotta spell it out?), but he was too humiliated to do anything; finally, two hours later and suffering from hypothermia, he summoned help and someone called 911. Struck me as funny that here in America, where we'll turn anything into "news," such incidents are kept in the dark.

DTS

Anybody here....?

Postby DTS » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:51 pm

Name: DTS
ALL: Has anybody here read Kate Chopin (_The Awakening__, etc., etc.)? If so, what'd ya think? Slow starter that I am, I just stumbled across her reputation and was wondering what (if anything) people 'round these parts thought of her writing.

Cheers,
DTS

DTS

Anybody here....?

Postby DTS » Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:51 pm

Name: DTS
ALL: Has anybody here read Kate Chopin (_The Awakening__, etc., etc.)? If so, what'd ya think? Slow starter that I am, I just stumbled across her reputation and was wondering what (if anything) people 'round these parts thought of her writing.

Cheers,
DTS

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”