Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

John E Williams

Postby John E Williams » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:55 am

Name: JohnEWilliams
Source: unca20091009.htm
I too am a graphic artist, so my professional reaction is that I don't think much of that font. I'd also put it closer to the bottom of the image. Your mileage, etc.

As for the other aspects: "back off" from whom? I'd say Harlan is pretty well-covered -- a well-established Jewish writer can be expected to handle the concept of swastikas and Nazis responsibly, regardless of the times.

The bottom line is that if Harlan feels the cover properly expresses his vision, then it should go out as is, period. Life's too short.

Rick

Phish heads in Aspen

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:05 am

Name: Rick Wyatt
Source: unca20091007.htm
I kind of agree that I like the empty uniform a lot more than the giant nazi flag backdrop. I think it would be awesome to just have HARLAN ELLISON across the front of the uniform and the title elsewhere (I mean across the front like it's shown now, not as an actual nametag, although that would be pretty sweet, too).

In general, yes, it will offend many people, and isn't that part of the point? But I don't find it offensive. And if it's provocative, well, attention is attention - and given the climate today and how many books people are reading I can't really say more attention to a new publication for whatever reason is a bad thing.

Can I get a version with Bill O'Reilly's head in the uniform? Or Rush Limbaugh's head photoshoped on top of Hermann Goering's body?

Rick

Phish heads in Aspen

Postby Rick » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:05 am

Name: Rick Wyatt
I kind of agree that I like the empty uniform a lot more than the giant nazi flag backdrop. I think it would be awesome to just have HARLAN ELLISON across the front of the uniform and the title elsewhere (I mean across the front like it's shown now, not as an actual nametag, although that would be pretty sweet, too).

In general, yes, it will offend many people, and isn't that part of the point? But I don't find it offensive. And if it's provocative, well, attention is attention - and given the climate today and how many books people are reading I can't really say more attention to a new publication for whatever reason is a bad thing.

Can I get a version with Bill O'Reilly's head in the uniform? Or Rush Limbaugh's head photoshoped on top of Hermann Goering's body?

mark spieller

The Cover

Postby mark spieller » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:10 am

Name: mark spieller
Well,we never learned about THE CHAIR, but we have all have gotten a taste of THE COVER. I can imagine The Cover for a collection featuring HE's "Hitler Painted Roses" or a new version of Spinrad's wonderful novel THE IRON DREAM. BUT, (hey you knew there had to be one somewhere) I am not sure the cause celebre this cover will create will end with better sales for the first new Ellison book in many years.It is not art but commerce where my concern comes in on the matter. I am facinated by the image AND appaled. Will it keep me from buying the book. No. Will it keep bookdealers from displaying it, talking it up, putting their support behind it? Perhaps. Never will we have a better test of the adage "Don't judge a book by its cover." Its great having this peek and the chance to pop off on it, but in all things artistic, Our Esteem Host shall have the last word. All we can do is vote with our money in supporting that decision.

mark spieller

The Cover

Postby mark spieller » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:10 am

Name: mark spieller
Well,we never learned about THE CHAIR, but we have all have gotten a taste of THE COVER. I can imagine The Cover for a collection featuring HE's "Hitler Painted Roses" or a new version of Spinrad's wonderful novel THE IRON DREAM. BUT, (hey you knew there had to be one somewhere) I am not sure the cause celebre this cover will create will end with better sales for the first new Ellison book in many years.It is not art but commerce where my concern comes in on the matter. I am facinated by the image AND appaled. Will it keep me from buying the book. No. Will it keep bookdealers from displaying it, talking it up, putting their support behind it? Perhaps. Never will we have a better test of the adage "Don't judge a book by its cover." Its great having this peek and the chance to pop off on it, but in all things artistic, Our Esteem Host shall have the last word. All we can do is vote with our money in supporting that decision.

Seth

Why the Font

Postby Seth » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:31 am

Name: Seth
The reason that font is perfect is that it's futuristic. Readers who know HE's work will see it and feel comfortable in the implied continuation from the past. Readers who are picking up HE for the first time will be piqued by the cover.

Without know what the story is about, it's a damn fine piece of art.

Seth

Why the Font

Postby Seth » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:31 am

Name: Seth
The reason that font is perfect is that it's futuristic. Readers who know HE's work will see it and feel comfortable in the implied continuation from the past. Readers who are picking up HE for the first time will be piqued by the cover.

Without know what the story is about, it's a damn fine piece of art.

K. M. Kirby

http://www.copywerks.com/harlan/ellisonbook.html

Postby K. M. Kirby » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:00 am

Name: K. M. Kirby
LOL

K. M. Kirby

http://www.copywerks.com/harlan/ellisonbook.html

Postby K. M. Kirby » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:00 am

Name: K. M. Kirby
LOL

Mark Zug

Re, A Fish-Head in Aspic book cover

Postby Mark Zug » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:03 am

Name: Mark Zug
Wow -- Okay, Harlan; you asked for input on an issue about which I know you care passionately, and as I have some general opinions touching illustration, here goes:

It's not hard-hitting enough. The idea is super and I see where it goes instantly: The anyone's-face-goes-here syndrome of the mad power dream. But the specificity of the Nazi uniform with regalia acts to blunt this. The contrast should be amped up: the huge swastika banner should be suffused in dim light, dusty, tattered, spotted and stained with perhaps blood and we don't want to know what else; a thing sinister and ancient, unfurled from a murderer's cellar.

The uniform should be neat, clean, generic and under crisp white light -- maybe even a monkey-suit instead of a military suit. Or depending on the book contents and the statements therein:

A super-hero's torso in spandex and cape
A pantsuit
A suit of armor
A tuxedo

Jus' thinking out loud here. Thanks, Harlan, for the opportunity. Fun, fun, fun!

Mark Zug

Re, A Fish-Head in Aspic book cover

Postby Mark Zug » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:03 am

Name: Mark Zug
Wow -- Okay, Harlan; you asked for input on an issue about which I know you care passionately, and as I have some general opinions touching illustration, here goes:

It's not hard-hitting enough. The idea is super and I see where it goes instantly: The anyone's-face-goes-here syndrome of the mad power dream. But the specificity of the Nazi uniform with regalia acts to blunt this. The contrast should be amped up: the huge swastika banner should be suffused in dim light, dusty, tattered, spotted and stained with perhaps blood and we don't want to know what else; a thing sinister and ancient, unfurled from a murderer's cellar.

The uniform should be neat, clean, generic and under crisp white light -- maybe even a monkey-suit instead of a military suit. Or depending on the book contents and the statements therein:

A super-hero's torso in spandex and cape
A pantsuit
A suit of armor
A tuxedo

Jus' thinking out loud here. Thanks, Harlan, for the opportunity. Fun, fun, fun!

Laurie

Bumper sticker...

Postby Laurie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:29 am

Name: Laurie
...though it probably would have worked better as a sign at a bed and breakfast...

HEISENBERG MAY HAVE SLEPT HERE

Laurie

Bumper sticker...

Postby Laurie » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:29 am

Name: Laurie
...though it probably would have worked better as a sign at a bed and breakfast...

HEISENBERG MAY HAVE SLEPT HERE

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:38 am

Name: Duane
I don't have the necessary tools to give a dispassionate critique of the cover art. I can only speak from my first impression:

I love it.

It is direct, it is unambiguous, and it states clearly and for the record "Here is a book by Harlan Ellison!"

Run with it.

(A quick PS: I thought the "_" instead of the "-" was particularly striking. I know the title will be "fish-head" and not "fish_head," but for some reason the "_" fit the cover art's context.)

Duane

Postby Duane » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:38 am

Name: Duane
I don't have the necessary tools to give a dispassionate critique of the cover art. I can only speak from my first impression:

I love it.

It is direct, it is unambiguous, and it states clearly and for the record "Here is a book by Harlan Ellison!"

Run with it.

(A quick PS: I thought the "_" instead of the "-" was particularly striking. I know the title will be "fish-head" and not "fish_head," but for some reason the "_" fit the cover art's context.)

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”