Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Site Admin

Rollercoaster of Life

Postby Moderator » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:21 pm

Name: Steve Barber
Source: unca20091009.htm
Today has been an interesting one. This week, in fact, has been a recordbreaker.

I mention on the Forums about waking up to read an email from a dear friend letting us know his girlfriend of the last seven or so years, the woman who in many ways made his life happy and complete, was killed last weekend in a freak accident while hiking. We're unable to make the service, but I cannot fathom the pain he must be feeling and yet I don't want to call and add to the chaos. I'll be there when the din dies down. I've learned that this is truly when you're needed.

Later in the day I discovered that another friend, Ruthann Greenblat (the artist that painted the artwork for Cris' third album COMES LOVE) has launched her own website. Her art is stunning, in particular her LIFE AS THEATER series.

http://www.ruthann-studio.com/

I drop my car off -- I'm in Raleigh next week so it's time to get work done -- and am informed that it's going to hurt a bit when the time comes to pay for the repairs.

Going by Costco on the way home I drown my day by buying a package of the trademarked Costco Chocolate Chip cookies (if you know what I mean, you know what I mean).

I then get a call from my favorite author, and we talk for a short time about life, dentistry, family and friends. Who never mentions that he's looking for help locating someone (thanks for covering, Lori). ( ! )

And tonight we're heading up to Hollywood to eat at Prizzi's Piazza, the restaurant owned by my most long-term buddy and her husband. (Yes, an even longer friendship than the one with my lady.)

With the rollercoaster way my day is going, I may just rear-end a cop along the way.

Lori Koonce

Hey Barber

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:41 pm

Name: Lori Koonce
Source: unca20091007.htm
I take the man seriously when he says:

"(For anyone EXCEPT Steve Barber, on whom I've already presumed too often.)

Besides, doing nice things for wonderful people tends to knock the depression outta me, and pending meds, I need all of that I can get!

Lori

Lori Koonce

Hey Barber

Postby Lori Koonce » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:41 pm

Name: Lori Koonce
I take the man seriously when he says:

"(For anyone EXCEPT Steve Barber, on whom I've already presumed too often.)

Besides, doing nice things for wonderful people tends to knock the depression outta me, and pending meds, I need all of that I can get!

Lori

Rod Williams

Pulp Tales Link

Postby Rod Williams » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:06 pm

Name: Rod Williams
Here's the direct link to the SON OF RETRO PULP TALES review on I09:

http://io9.com/5326068/son-of-retro-pul ... ap-thrills

Seems like a groovy website. However, my 11 year-old computer and operating system almost melted down trying to display it. Had to keep shoveling coal until it was over the gradient.

Rod Williams

Pulp Tales Link

Postby Rod Williams » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:06 pm

Name: Rod Williams
Here's the direct link to the SON OF RETRO PULP TALES review on I09:

http://io9.com/5326068/son-of-retro-pul ... ap-thrills

Seems like a groovy website. However, my 11 year-old computer and operating system almost melted down trying to display it. Had to keep shoveling coal until it was over the gradient.

Sara Slaymaker

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:15 pm

Name: Sara Slaymaker
Here's a little anecdote I wanted to share with you all - I thought you might appreciate it.

I have a dear friend, Jeff, who reminds me quite a lot of Harlan. He is a genuinely sweet man who would do anything in his power to help a friend and never expects anything in return. He's also outspoken, opinionated, doesn't know the meaning of politically correct and doesn't suffer fools at all. And god help you if you get on his bad side.

A couple of days ago he pulled into a parking lot and stopped behind an Escalade that was in the process of parking in a "No Parking" zone. Rolling down his window, he shouted, "It's you! I've been wanting to meet you!" When the guy said "Do you know me?", Jeff said, "Yes! You're the guy to whom the rules don't apply!"

Then he drove off, leaving the guy standing with his mouth open.

Sara Slaymaker

Postby Sara Slaymaker » Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:15 pm

Name: Sara Slaymaker
Here's a little anecdote I wanted to share with you all - I thought you might appreciate it.

I have a dear friend, Jeff, who reminds me quite a lot of Harlan. He is a genuinely sweet man who would do anything in his power to help a friend and never expects anything in return. He's also outspoken, opinionated, doesn't know the meaning of politically correct and doesn't suffer fools at all. And god help you if you get on his bad side.

A couple of days ago he pulled into a parking lot and stopped behind an Escalade that was in the process of parking in a "No Parking" zone. Rolling down his window, he shouted, "It's you! I've been wanting to meet you!" When the guy said "Do you know me?", Jeff said, "Yes! You're the guy to whom the rules don't apply!"

Then he drove off, leaving the guy standing with his mouth open.

KOS

Let It Ride

Postby KOS » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:23 pm

Name: KOS
Laissez Faire economics is not at the heart of conservative politics.

It's one thread of conservative thought, agreed.

Government has a role in the market, preventing the worst excesses. Freedom is a vector, not a position.

Left to its own devices, the market will sell human flesh at the lowest possible price per pound. A man in New Jersey is currently under Federal indictment for brokering the sale of a human kidney for transplant, price: $150,000. Not many conservatives would favor that being legal. Extreme example, and hard cases make for bad law, but it serves to illustrate the point.

Government economic regulation, without transparency and accountability, will eventually become a barrier to the entry of new players into the economy, by setting up huge "fixed regulatory costs" for new companies in established, well regulated fields.

Even old Adam Smith wrote of how you could not get two capitalists together alone without them conspiring to fix prices, and thus government regulation is often needful.

Of course labels have meaning. Of course the race moves and changes and the goal is to increase the sum total of wealth and happiness, well distributed. Conservatives are not against chamge, but by and large favor long and careful consideration of it before action. The "Law of Unintended Consequences" foremost in our thoughts when confronted with proposals for change

The sole rule of any political philosophy is a lousy idea. Progressives press for change, conservatives press for long and careful consideration, and out of the clash comes something that works. Pragmatic. Practical.

Pragmatism is at the root of my sort of conservative thought. The devil is in the details, and few agree on most of those.

As to my personal political "philosophy", I sum it up with two quotes from Alexander Pope:

"For forms of Government, let fools contend, Whatever is best administered is best."

and

"Never elated when one mans oppressed;
Never dejected while anothers blessed."

Since the thing about conservative thought I most like is that each human is responsible for their own actions, I do not accept responsibility for the actions or words of William F. Buckley, or any other wise fool with whom I have no connection other than an assumed (by person or persons other than myself, that is to say) congruence of thought.

I never voted for Ronald Reagan. Anderson in 1980, Libertarian in 1984. I avoid party labels.

No cause is so noble as to not attract Fuggheads. No cause is so ignoble as not to attract a few Good Eggs.

The recognition that there is more to life than politics, that most of us most of the time are better served seeing to our own affairs and caring for what is our own, is what I believe, in a nutshell. The thought that politics must be weighed in each and every thought, decision and action, summed up in that perverse slogan "The personal is political!", is anathema to me.
\

I rather dislike discussing politics and philosophy. The original Mugg's Game. nearly always producing more heat than light. I am not an expert in either. I don't seek such expertise. Some knowledge thereof is good, In sum, the subjects are timesinks; necessary evils at best. At worst, pernicious barriers to the enjoyment of life and advancement of the race.

The rest is silence.

KOS

PS

Harlan, you're welcome, and thank you in turn!

KOS

Let It Ride

Postby KOS » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:23 pm

Name: KOS
Laissez Faire economics is not at the heart of conservative politics.

It's one thread of conservative thought, agreed.

Government has a role in the market, preventing the worst excesses. Freedom is a vector, not a position.

Left to its own devices, the market will sell human flesh at the lowest possible price per pound. A man in New Jersey is currently under Federal indictment for brokering the sale of a human kidney for transplant, price: $150,000. Not many conservatives would favor that being legal. Extreme example, and hard cases make for bad law, but it serves to illustrate the point.

Government economic regulation, without transparency and accountability, will eventually become a barrier to the entry of new players into the economy, by setting up huge "fixed regulatory costs" for new companies in established, well regulated fields.

Even old Adam Smith wrote of how you could not get two capitalists together alone without them conspiring to fix prices, and thus government regulation is often needful.

Of course labels have meaning. Of course the race moves and changes and the goal is to increase the sum total of wealth and happiness, well distributed. Conservatives are not against chamge, but by and large favor long and careful consideration of it before action. The "Law of Unintended Consequences" foremost in our thoughts when confronted with proposals for change

The sole rule of any political philosophy is a lousy idea. Progressives press for change, conservatives press for long and careful consideration, and out of the clash comes something that works. Pragmatic. Practical.

Pragmatism is at the root of my sort of conservative thought. The devil is in the details, and few agree on most of those.

As to my personal political "philosophy", I sum it up with two quotes from Alexander Pope:

"For forms of Government, let fools contend, Whatever is best administered is best."

and

"Never elated when one mans oppressed;
Never dejected while anothers blessed."

Since the thing about conservative thought I most like is that each human is responsible for their own actions, I do not accept responsibility for the actions or words of William F. Buckley, or any other wise fool with whom I have no connection other than an assumed (by person or persons other than myself, that is to say) congruence of thought.

I never voted for Ronald Reagan. Anderson in 1980, Libertarian in 1984. I avoid party labels.

No cause is so noble as to not attract Fuggheads. No cause is so ignoble as not to attract a few Good Eggs.

The recognition that there is more to life than politics, that most of us most of the time are better served seeing to our own affairs and caring for what is our own, is what I believe, in a nutshell. The thought that politics must be weighed in each and every thought, decision and action, summed up in that perverse slogan "The personal is political!", is anathema to me.
\

I rather dislike discussing politics and philosophy. The original Mugg's Game. nearly always producing more heat than light. I am not an expert in either. I don't seek such expertise. Some knowledge thereof is good, In sum, the subjects are timesinks; necessary evils at best. At worst, pernicious barriers to the enjoyment of life and advancement of the race.

The rest is silence.

KOS

PS

Harlan, you're welcome, and thank you in turn!

paul

Postby paul » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:28 pm

Name: Paul
I'm pretty sure the plural is
'Lofti'.

paul

Postby paul » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:28 pm

Name: Paul
I'm pretty sure the plural is
'Lofti'.

Inhabiter of the Mountain Peak

THE KALI YUGA!

Postby Inhabiter of the Mountain Peak » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Name: Inhabiter of the Mountain Peak
This approaching new natural event on Earth the merger of the sky and ocean into a synergistic energy equilibrium is not unconnected to the corporate global media monoculture, and a half Negro, half white president. When the oceanic/atmospheric meltdown reaches critical mass, expect strange phenomena to occur.

Inhabiter of the Mountain Peak

THE KALI YUGA!

Postby Inhabiter of the Mountain Peak » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:49 pm

Name: Inhabiter of the Mountain Peak
This approaching new natural event on Earth the merger of the sky and ocean into a synergistic energy equilibrium is not unconnected to the corporate global media monoculture, and a half Negro, half white president. When the oceanic/atmospheric meltdown reaches critical mass, expect strange phenomena to occur.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Name: Rob
"Laissez Faire economics is not at the heart of conservative politics."

That is incredibly absurd!

I'll come back a week from now and argue a couple of other silly comments you just made.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:12 pm

Name: Rob
"Laissez Faire economics is not at the heart of conservative politics."

That is incredibly absurd!

I'll come back a week from now and argue a couple of other silly comments you just made.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”