Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

A BIT OF DISCONNECTED 6 DEGREES OF YOU-KNOW-WHA

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:17 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Source: unca20091007.htm
BOB HOMEYER: way way back in The Day, I had several dates with the stunningly beautiful and sweet-natured Danielle Steele. She may literarily be neither of our blue ribbon choices, but she was, and is (I'm told) STILL a wonderful, wonderful person.

As a writer, I suspect she is pretty much like all of us: she does the best she can.

Not a bad tombstone, trust me.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

A BIT OF DISCONNECTED 6 DEGREES OF YOU-KNOW-WHA

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:17 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Source: unca20091009.htm
BOB HOMEYER: way way back in The Day, I had several dates with the stunningly beautiful and sweet-natured Danielle Steele. She may literarily be neither of our blue ribbon choices, but she was, and is (I'm told) STILL a wonderful, wonderful person.

As a writer, I suspect she is pretty much like all of us: she does the best she can.

Not a bad tombstone, trust me.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Jon Manzo

MadCon 2010 - update

Postby Jon Manzo » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:51 pm

Name: Jon Manzo
Hey Everybody,

A few weeks ago, I posted that I would be running MadCon 2010 in Madison, WI, Sept. 24-26, 2010, with Harlan as our Guest of Honor. I just wanted to toss out a quick update, including membership and banquet ticket information. I think I've mentioned that we've confirmed Peter David, Pat Rothfuss and Allen Steele; I've also confirmed Jim Frenkel (editor, Tor Books) and John Krewson (The Onion). I'm still working on a few more Guests. Our charities will be The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund and the Alzheimer's Association.

I've just signed the contract with our hotel, The Crowne Plaza Hotel, a vast improvement over the site for MadCon 2001.

The memberships for the weekend are $55 until 12/31/09. As for the Saturday Night Banquet, it will be with our Guests, one Guest per table, and will feature an after-dinner speech by our Guest of Honor, Harlan. Tickets are $45 per seat, with seating based upon ticket number, first come, first served, based upon postmark or online purchase date. The website isn't up yet, and the flyers won't hit their first conventions until this weekend, so I figured that I'd give visitors to the Pavilion first crack at the low numbers. Our address is MadCon 2010, P.O. Box 628013, Middleton, WI, 53562. Checks should be made out to MadCon 2010.

The website address will be www.madcon2010.com, assuming I don't manage to destroy the server with my techno-ineptitude. But as I'm off to Phoenix for the North American Discworld Convention on Thursday (All hail Sir Terry Pratchett!), I may not get it done until the middle of next week.

To the few of you who have already emailed me directly about the convention, thank you, and I will reply to all inquiries, but it's been a very busy August at the office. I may yet regret taking on another con, but I'd rather regret something I've done than something I didn't do.

Jon C. Manzo

Jon Manzo

MadCon 2010 - update

Postby Jon Manzo » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:51 pm

Name: Jon Manzo
Hey Everybody,

A few weeks ago, I posted that I would be running MadCon 2010 in Madison, WI, Sept. 24-26, 2010, with Harlan as our Guest of Honor. I just wanted to toss out a quick update, including membership and banquet ticket information. I think I've mentioned that we've confirmed Peter David, Pat Rothfuss and Allen Steele; I've also confirmed Jim Frenkel (editor, Tor Books) and John Krewson (The Onion). I'm still working on a few more Guests. Our charities will be The Comic Book Legal Defense Fund and the Alzheimer's Association.

I've just signed the contract with our hotel, The Crowne Plaza Hotel, a vast improvement over the site for MadCon 2001.

The memberships for the weekend are $55 until 12/31/09. As for the Saturday Night Banquet, it will be with our Guests, one Guest per table, and will feature an after-dinner speech by our Guest of Honor, Harlan. Tickets are $45 per seat, with seating based upon ticket number, first come, first served, based upon postmark or online purchase date. The website isn't up yet, and the flyers won't hit their first conventions until this weekend, so I figured that I'd give visitors to the Pavilion first crack at the low numbers. Our address is MadCon 2010, P.O. Box 628013, Middleton, WI, 53562. Checks should be made out to MadCon 2010.

The website address will be www.madcon2010.com, assuming I don't manage to destroy the server with my techno-ineptitude. But as I'm off to Phoenix for the North American Discworld Convention on Thursday (All hail Sir Terry Pratchett!), I may not get it done until the middle of next week.

To the few of you who have already emailed me directly about the convention, thank you, and I will reply to all inquiries, but it's been a very busy August at the office. I may yet regret taking on another con, but I'd rather regret something I've done than something I didn't do.

Jon C. Manzo

Le

Off-topic: For Ennio Morricone fans

Postby Le » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:48 pm

Name: Le
A friend just gave me a wonderful DVD of MORRICONE CONDUCTS MORRICONE, and I want to recommend it to all the Morricone fans out there, and to lovers of great film music in general.

No finer version exists of "Gabriel's Oboe" (from THE MISSION):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmax47l2hLU

The oboe soloist is named Yeon-Hee Kwak, and she is simply stunning. What a beautiful tone she has!(like liquid gold) What gorgeous phrasing!

Le

Off-topic: For Ennio Morricone fans

Postby Le » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:48 pm

Name: Le
A friend just gave me a wonderful DVD of MORRICONE CONDUCTS MORRICONE, and I want to recommend it to all the Morricone fans out there, and to lovers of great film music in general.

No finer version exists of "Gabriel's Oboe" (from THE MISSION):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmax47l2hLU

The oboe soloist is named Yeon-Hee Kwak, and she is simply stunning. What a beautiful tone she has!(like liquid gold) What gorgeous phrasing!

Chuck Messer

The Burning

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:30 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Damn. It was a hazy day in Colorado today. Why? Most of it was weather, but part of it was smoke and ash from the fires in California.

Again, damn. I hope the homes and persons of every one of the west coast Webderlanders stay out of harm's way.

Again, damn.

Chuck

Chuck Messer

The Burning

Postby Chuck Messer » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:30 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Damn. It was a hazy day in Colorado today. Why? Most of it was weather, but part of it was smoke and ash from the fires in California.

Again, damn. I hope the homes and persons of every one of the west coast Webderlanders stay out of harm's way.

Again, damn.

Chuck

DTS

The Fall, Frank's post and The Fires

Postby DTS » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:28 pm

Name: DTS
HARLAN & FRANK and Anyone else: If my post (as The View From Here), turned you on to this spectacular piece of film, I'm thrilled. I'm no academic when it comes to cinema, and I enjoy a wide range of film types -- "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," "A Very Long Engagement," "The Counterfeiters," "In Bruges," etc), but I wasn't all that sure the pure joy I felt at watching "The Fall" (twice!) in the span of a couple of days after getting the DVD by mail, would translate to the rest of you folks out here (so I chickened out and posted under a pseudonym). The opening shots alone were magnificent -- then the thing continues along with great visuals and one of the most interesting takes on the art (and healing powers) of storytelling that I've seen in some time. And the little actress they found to play the injured young girl! What a _Brilliant_ (in every meaning of that word, American and British) young lady!
FRANK: Ebert is a terrific film critic (and an even better human being, especially when posting those essays about things like health care -- and the nutter Americans who Just Don't Get It), but his take on "Knowing".... ah, me. Trust me on this, Frank -- and it isn't only because the director left my unbelievably great scenes (I was an extra) on the cutting room floor: it's one of the worst "b-movies" ever made. Yeeech! And ptui!

FIRES: I'm _still_ awestruck by the power of the fires that moved through the bushlands just north of here on Black Saturday. It was, if I understand correctly, a situation not unlike that which created the "perfect storm" off the coast of New England, which Sebastian Junger wrote about. The fire was so hot it created weather patterns of its own. Think of that: a fire so blazing hot it created its own winds. And once it started in earnest, moved so fast that someone standing at the top of a large mountain had maybe just enough time to blink a few times before it reached him.

Now that I'm living in a land that experiences its share of fire seasons, I can honestly say that I understand -- at least a little -- how the men, women, children (and even the animals) in California feel. Our season of fires in this part of the world lasts just as long. And while it may never reach anywhere near the part of Melbourne in which we now live (Wantirna South), its effects (because of the ecological devastation, and the lives and property lost) are felt all across Melbourne -- indeed, all across Victoria and Australia.

All best wishes,
DTS

DTS

The Fall, Frank's post and The Fires

Postby DTS » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:28 pm

Name: DTS
HARLAN & FRANK and Anyone else: If my post (as The View From Here), turned you on to this spectacular piece of film, I'm thrilled. I'm no academic when it comes to cinema, and I enjoy a wide range of film types -- "Forgetting Sarah Marshall," "A Very Long Engagement," "The Counterfeiters," "In Bruges," etc), but I wasn't all that sure the pure joy I felt at watching "The Fall" (twice!) in the span of a couple of days after getting the DVD by mail, would translate to the rest of you folks out here (so I chickened out and posted under a pseudonym). The opening shots alone were magnificent -- then the thing continues along with great visuals and one of the most interesting takes on the art (and healing powers) of storytelling that I've seen in some time. And the little actress they found to play the injured young girl! What a _Brilliant_ (in every meaning of that word, American and British) young lady!
FRANK: Ebert is a terrific film critic (and an even better human being, especially when posting those essays about things like health care -- and the nutter Americans who Just Don't Get It), but his take on "Knowing".... ah, me. Trust me on this, Frank -- and it isn't only because the director left my unbelievably great scenes (I was an extra) on the cutting room floor: it's one of the worst "b-movies" ever made. Yeeech! And ptui!

FIRES: I'm _still_ awestruck by the power of the fires that moved through the bushlands just north of here on Black Saturday. It was, if I understand correctly, a situation not unlike that which created the "perfect storm" off the coast of New England, which Sebastian Junger wrote about. The fire was so hot it created weather patterns of its own. Think of that: a fire so blazing hot it created its own winds. And once it started in earnest, moved so fast that someone standing at the top of a large mountain had maybe just enough time to blink a few times before it reached him.

Now that I'm living in a land that experiences its share of fire seasons, I can honestly say that I understand -- at least a little -- how the men, women, children (and even the animals) in California feel. Our season of fires in this part of the world lasts just as long. And while it may never reach anywhere near the part of Melbourne in which we now live (Wantirna South), its effects (because of the ecological devastation, and the lives and property lost) are felt all across Melbourne -- indeed, all across Victoria and Australia.

All best wishes,
DTS

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”