Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Bob Homeyer

Missing Films

Postby Bob Homeyer » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:22 pm

Name: Bob Homeyer
Source: unca20091009.htm
There are three missing films I'd be extraordinarily happy to see, but only one is (barely) possible.

1. "Fear and Desire" - Stanley Kubrick's first feature from 1951. Only a single print still exists, housed in the Eastman Kodak archives in Rochester, NY. They trot it out every two decades or so. I did see a sixth-generation bootleg a few years back, but you could barely make out the actors. Although Kubrick disowned it as amateurish, I think it forms an ad hoc war trilogy of sorts with "Paths of Glory" and "Dr. Strangelove". Norman Kagan's essay on it in "The Cinema of Stanley Kubrick" is excellent.

2. "The Magnificent Ambersons" - the original Orson Welles cut. Editor Robert Wise burned the extra footage. As if directing ST:TMP wasn't enough of a sin...

3. "Humor Risk" or "Humoresque" (I've seen both spellings used) - The Marx Brothers' silent film from 1920. Groucho destroyed it after its one and only screening. C'mon Julius, weren't you considering posterity?

Colleen

Postby Colleen » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:06 pm

Name: Colleen
Source: unca20091007.htm
Aloha Webderlanders,
Check out this article at the NY Times. The judge profiled sounds like our host.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/31/nyreg ... e.html?hpw

Cheers, Colleen

Colleen

Postby Colleen » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:06 pm

Name: Colleen
Aloha Webderlanders,
Check out this article at the NY Times. The judge profiled sounds like our host.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/31/nyreg ... e.html?hpw

Cheers, Colleen

Semi-Writer

Humorisk

Postby Semi-Writer » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:13 pm

Name: Semi-Writer
Bob: after reading about "Humorisk" (http://www.marx-brothers.org/marxology/humorisk.htm), now you've got me wanting to unearth a copy in someone's garage, a la Buster Keaton's "lost" works. Damn you, damn you!

Jeff R.: it cracked me up when I saw the "Convention City" stills (http://www.dickpowell.net/Film8.php) where he's got the girl on the sofa. It reminds me of a "Tijuana Bible" that I had of Dick Powell. I've still got the scans around somewhere, with a cartoon Powell providing, ahem, ample fulfillment to the cartoon maiden.

Semi-Writer

Humorisk

Postby Semi-Writer » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:13 pm

Name: Semi-Writer
Bob: after reading about "Humorisk" (http://www.marx-brothers.org/marxology/humorisk.htm), now you've got me wanting to unearth a copy in someone's garage, a la Buster Keaton's "lost" works. Damn you, damn you!

Jeff R.: it cracked me up when I saw the "Convention City" stills (http://www.dickpowell.net/Film8.php) where he's got the girl on the sofa. It reminds me of a "Tijuana Bible" that I had of Dick Powell. I've still got the scans around somewhere, with a cartoon Powell providing, ahem, ample fulfillment to the cartoon maiden.

Brad Stevens

Postby Brad Stevens » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:18 pm

Name: Brad Stevens
Bob - Robert Wise cut THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS, but certainly didn't burn the footage (which would have been the property of RKO).

FEAR AND DESIRE can be watched on YouTube at the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKZhzpBl5g4

Brad Stevens

Postby Brad Stevens » Mon Aug 31, 2009 1:18 pm

Name: Brad Stevens
Bob - Robert Wise cut THE MAGNIFICENT AMBERSONS, but certainly didn't burn the footage (which would have been the property of RKO).

FEAR AND DESIRE can be watched on YouTube at the following link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKZhzpBl5g4

Bob Homeyer

Brad and Semi-Writer

Postby Bob Homeyer » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:03 pm

Brad - Thank you for the correction (and the link!). I had heard/read that Wise was instructed to personally destroy the footage since the studio didn't want it to be available to Welles for a re-re-cut, but I'll trust your judgment.

Semi-Writer - I stand summarily damned. There IS a silent film featuring Harpo Marx in a brief role, entitled "Too Many Kisses" (1925) that is available on the site you referenced.

And now, having violated the post-a-day rule, I shall punish myself with 30 whacks on the behind from Danielle Steele's First Folio...

Bob Homeyer

Brad and Semi-Writer

Postby Bob Homeyer » Mon Aug 31, 2009 2:03 pm

Brad - Thank you for the correction (and the link!). I had heard/read that Wise was instructed to personally destroy the footage since the studio didn't want it to be available to Welles for a re-re-cut, but I'll trust your judgment.

Semi-Writer - I stand summarily damned. There IS a silent film featuring Harpo Marx in a brief role, entitled "Too Many Kisses" (1925) that is available on the site you referenced.

And now, having violated the post-a-day rule, I shall punish myself with 30 whacks on the behind from Danielle Steele's First Folio...

Judi Castro

Miami

Postby Judi Castro » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:22 pm

Name: Judi Castro
Richard!

I remember all those things, plus the giant dragon fountain at the center of Dadeland Mall. My hubbie moved down in 1995, joined me in 2002, but I was born and raised here, South Miami Hospital first year birthing unit. That was me.

Judi Castro

Miami

Postby Judi Castro » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:22 pm

Name: Judi Castro
Richard!

I remember all those things, plus the giant dragon fountain at the center of Dadeland Mall. My hubbie moved down in 1995, joined me in 2002, but I was born and raised here, South Miami Hospital first year birthing unit. That was me.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

THANKYOU TO JULIAN

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:49 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Yes, of course: Tarsem. My oops. My thanks.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

THANKYOU TO JULIAN

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:49 pm

Yes, of course: Tarsem. My oops. My thanks.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

COLLEEN, et al

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:11 pm

You're right! My kinda guy, Brooklyn's Justice Schack!

Sockit'to'm, Quixote!

Perhaps, with saints such as Schack walking among us, there is a brief window available to us before we cede ownership to the rats, eels, planarian worms and Michelle Malkin.

Oh. Yeah: by the way ... today, another span in the ferociously burning 8th and Inner Circle of Hell. Not a heartbeat of a sigh of wind; the birds pathetically cling to the trees as if they were winged moss; the air is a Bessemer converter oven, caking the eyes with ash. 210-mile-long fireline. Men and women in a hundred pounds of survival gear plod wearily up and down mountains of hundred-year-old fuel, no sleep, no rain, no containment, not even a pretense. We are not alone...it only feels that way...drowning in flames.

My land, my home, heaven help us. Don't talk to me about God: if he is, he's a firebug.

Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

COLLEEN, et al

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:11 pm

You're right! My kinda guy, Brooklyn's Justice Schack!

Sockit'to'm, Quixote!

Perhaps, with saints such as Schack walking among us, there is a brief window available to us before we cede ownership to the rats, eels, planarian worms and Michelle Malkin.

Oh. Yeah: by the way ... today, another span in the ferociously burning 8th and Inner Circle of Hell. Not a heartbeat of a sigh of wind; the birds pathetically cling to the trees as if they were winged moss; the air is a Bessemer converter oven, caking the eyes with ash. 210-mile-long fireline. Men and women in a hundred pounds of survival gear plod wearily up and down mountains of hundred-year-old fuel, no sleep, no rain, no containment, not even a pretense. We are not alone...it only feels that way...drowning in flames.

My land, my home, heaven help us. Don't talk to me about God: if he is, he's a firebug.

Harlan

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”