Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Tony Isabella

Postby Tony Isabella » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:40 am

Name: Tony Isabella
Source: unca20091007.htm
Dearest Unca mine...the item which you requested was mailed this afternoon via priority mail. Love to you and Susan.

Tony Isabella

Postby Tony Isabella » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:40 am

Name: Tony Isabella
Source: unca20091009.htm
Dearest Unca mine...the item which you requested was mailed this afternoon via priority mail. Love to you and Susan.

Susan Ellison

Postby Susan Ellison » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:27 am

Name: SUSAN ELLISON
Jesse:

SHATTERDAY added. Your order will go out today/tomorrow.

All best--Susan

Susan Ellison

Postby Susan Ellison » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:27 am

Name: SUSAN ELLISON
Jesse:

SHATTERDAY added. Your order will go out today/tomorrow.

All best--Susan

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:29 am

Name: Rob
One of my own biggest trips is film oddities; lesser known movies from late 1920's/early 30's before the Hays code grew unavoidable (and occasionally from the 50's), with quirks or twists we just don't expect to see in flicks from those eras.

I caught a great one recently from the 'Forbidden Hollywood' collection. I'd never heard of "Baby Face". It's a racy Nietzschean little gem from 1933 starring an ultra-young Barbara Stanwyck, George Brent, and Theresa Harris as a sexy black girl portrayed in a way rarely seen back then.

The movie is literally and oblately about...well, frankly...SCREWING! Fucking any guy who can get you what you want. Stanwyck - whose character is only 20 or 21 - manipulates men, old and young alike! Most of these guys are bank executives. Her only priority is to gain wealth any way she can. And she lets her black friend, Theresa, in on the money! TRY finding a movie from the 1930's that has either of those scenarios. Every part of this film takes you off guard, from its outset where we see her own father sell her services for sex when he needs to bribe an official! We see how much she despises her father and it all starts from there!

An early Warners movie, I could recognize parts of the soundtrack from what was later spliced into some of Looney Tunes in the 1940's by Carl Stalling (a couple of Bugs cartoons for sure)!

This is a terrific film, and I'm glad I found it. As you could guess it was banned in a number of cities when it was released.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:29 am

Name: Rob
One of my own biggest trips is film oddities; lesser known movies from late 1920's/early 30's before the Hays code grew unavoidable (and occasionally from the 50's), with quirks or twists we just don't expect to see in flicks from those eras.

I caught a great one recently from the 'Forbidden Hollywood' collection. I'd never heard of "Baby Face". It's a racy Nietzschean little gem from 1933 starring an ultra-young Barbara Stanwyck, George Brent, and Theresa Harris as a sexy black girl portrayed in a way rarely seen back then.

The movie is literally and oblately about...well, frankly...SCREWING! Fucking any guy who can get you what you want. Stanwyck - whose character is only 20 or 21 - manipulates men, old and young alike! Most of these guys are bank executives. Her only priority is to gain wealth any way she can. And she lets her black friend, Theresa, in on the money! TRY finding a movie from the 1930's that has either of those scenarios. Every part of this film takes you off guard, from its outset where we see her own father sell her services for sex when he needs to bribe an official! We see how much she despises her father and it all starts from there!

An early Warners movie, I could recognize parts of the soundtrack from what was later spliced into some of Looney Tunes in the 1940's by Carl Stalling (a couple of Bugs cartoons for sure)!

This is a terrific film, and I'm glad I found it. As you could guess it was banned in a number of cities when it was released.

Jesse C. Polhemus

Postby Jesse C. Polhemus » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:34 am

Name: Jesse C. Polhemus
Susan, thank you! Please don't forget to let me know what I owe you for SHATTERDAY. It wasn't one that I needed before, so I have no idea what the price is.

Gratefully,

Jesse

Jesse C. Polhemus

Postby Jesse C. Polhemus » Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:34 am

Name: Jesse C. Polhemus
Susan, thank you! Please don't forget to let me know what I owe you for SHATTERDAY. It wasn't one that I needed before, so I have no idea what the price is.

Gratefully,

Jesse

Jeff R.

For Rob Re: BABY FACE

Postby Jeff R. » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:42 am

Name: Jeff R.
The DVD set contains two versions. I trust you saw the even racier FIRST version, which is longer by about five minutes. Warners looked at it, had second thoughts, buried it, and sent a slightly milder version into general release. The original cut of the filnm was rediscovered in 2004.

Now, we need to find the lost Warner film CONVENTION CITY, which cause a LOT of comment when it was released. So much so, it is said, that Jack Warner ended up quite deliberately destroying all the prints and negatives.

Jeff R.

For Rob Re: BABY FACE

Postby Jeff R. » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:42 am

Name: Jeff R.
The DVD set contains two versions. I trust you saw the even racier FIRST version, which is longer by about five minutes. Warners looked at it, had second thoughts, buried it, and sent a slightly milder version into general release. The original cut of the filnm was rediscovered in 2004.

Now, we need to find the lost Warner film CONVENTION CITY, which cause a LOT of comment when it was released. So much so, it is said, that Jack Warner ended up quite deliberately destroying all the prints and negatives.

Jeff R. again

Curses!

Postby Jeff R. again » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:44 am

Name: Jeff R. again
That should be "film," not "filnm," and "caused," not "cause."

Jeff R. again

Curses!

Postby Jeff R. again » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:44 am

Name: Jeff R. again
That should be "film," not "filnm," and "caused," not "cause."

TimCase

Re: Harlan Still Watching

Postby TimCase » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:45 am

Name: Tim Case Walker
Harlan: Thank you for recommending The Fall. I'll go find it and pick it up today. My wife and I went to the drive-in twice this week, sitting through Halloween 2, Orphan, The Perfect Getaway, and Inglourious Basterds. Ouch.

Although I enjoyed the Tarantino...well, a good film would be a nice change of pace.

TimCase

Re: Harlan Still Watching

Postby TimCase » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:45 am

Name: Tim Case Walker
Harlan: Thank you for recommending The Fall. I'll go find it and pick it up today. My wife and I went to the drive-in twice this week, sitting through Halloween 2, Orphan, The Perfect Getaway, and Inglourious Basterds. Ouch.

Although I enjoyed the Tarantino...well, a good film would be a nice change of pace.

Bob Homeyer

Missing Films

Postby Bob Homeyer » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:22 pm

Name: Bob Homeyer
There are three missing films I'd be extraordinarily happy to see, but only one is (barely) possible.

1. "Fear and Desire" - Stanley Kubrick's first feature from 1951. Only a single print still exists, housed in the Eastman Kodak archives in Rochester, NY. They trot it out every two decades or so. I did see a sixth-generation bootleg a few years back, but you could barely make out the actors. Although Kubrick disowned it as amateurish, I think it forms an ad hoc war trilogy of sorts with "Paths of Glory" and "Dr. Strangelove". Norman Kagan's essay on it in "The Cinema of Stanley Kubrick" is excellent.

2. "The Magnificent Ambersons" - the original Orson Welles cut. Editor Robert Wise burned the extra footage. As if directing ST:TMP wasn't enough of a sin...

3. "Humor Risk" or "Humoresque" (I've seen both spellings used) - The Marx Brothers' silent film from 1920. Groucho destroyed it after its one and only screening. C'mon Julius, weren't you considering posterity?

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”