Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Alejandro Riera

Breaking News

Postby Alejandro Riera » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:45 am

Name: Alejandro Riera
Source: unca20091009.htm
Disney has acquired Marvel. And no, this no late April Fool's joke:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 5291.story

julian.rodriguez

The Fall's Director

Postby julian.rodriguez » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:50 am

Name: Julian Rodriguez
Source: unca20091007.htm
Mr. Ellison,

I think you meant:

Tarsem

...who also directed "The Cell" (he had a last name back then, Tarsem Singh)

Julian

julian.rodriguez

The Fall's Director

Postby julian.rodriguez » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:50 am

Name: Julian Rodriguez
Mr. Ellison,

I think you meant:

Tarsem

...who also directed "The Cell" (he had a last name back then, Tarsem Singh)

Julian

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:27 am

Name: Ezra
Movies seem to be the topic du jour. Over the weekend I saw two oldies but goodies, movies I had seen ages ago and was happy to revisit on DVD. Namely, Fritz Lang's FURY, and SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON, starring Kim Stanley and Richard Attenborough.

Of course FURY was Lang's first American film. The commentary contains quotes by Lang from an earlier audio interview back in the 60s. I had completely forgotten the wonderful scene with the barber.

My friend reminded me Kim Stanley was nominated for an oscar for her performance but lost out to Julie Andrews for MARY POPPINS.

To say "They don't make'em like that anymore..." is a hoary cliche but you know, it's true.

Could these movies even be made in the current environment?

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:27 am

Name: Ezra
Movies seem to be the topic du jour. Over the weekend I saw two oldies but goodies, movies I had seen ages ago and was happy to revisit on DVD. Namely, Fritz Lang's FURY, and SEANCE ON A WET AFTERNOON, starring Kim Stanley and Richard Attenborough.

Of course FURY was Lang's first American film. The commentary contains quotes by Lang from an earlier audio interview back in the 60s. I had completely forgotten the wonderful scene with the barber.

My friend reminded me Kim Stanley was nominated for an oscar for her performance but lost out to Julie Andrews for MARY POPPINS.

To say "They don't make'em like that anymore..." is a hoary cliche but you know, it's true.

Could these movies even be made in the current environment?

Richard Cohen

Postby Richard Cohen » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:54 am

Name: Richard Cohen
Hi, Adam-Troy Castro,

Yes, Miami, FL -- our town --
and who knows but that we may at times have shopped at a common Publix
or cursed the same Galloway traffic (for example!), or even that we both
can recall the smell of the Holsum bakery on South Dixie or the used bookstore
on Bird and other vanished things?
But perhaps you are too young or came just lately to the place. This child
remembers having sat on the back of the red-brick turtle, also the red-brick frog,
which once resided at the Dadeland Mall; I was born here long enough ago, in fact,
to remember the Mall Un-Airconditioned.
(Nice pic of froggy and turtle's more exalted,
but just as gone, sibling the mer-horse-fountain {Earl Lapan, sculptor}
at http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/image/92970639)
In any case we're both here now and must alike buy water and batteries
and suffer nerves whenever the TV weatherguys praise a storm for its
excellent organization and make sweeping gestures across their maps,
showing the miserable thing where to find us if it's interested.

With apologies for regionalism and nostalgia
(and superstitious anti-weatherfolk peevishness),

Richard

Richard Cohen

Postby Richard Cohen » Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:54 am

Name: Richard Cohen
Hi, Adam-Troy Castro,

Yes, Miami, FL -- our town --
and who knows but that we may at times have shopped at a common Publix
or cursed the same Galloway traffic (for example!), or even that we both
can recall the smell of the Holsum bakery on South Dixie or the used bookstore
on Bird and other vanished things?
But perhaps you are too young or came just lately to the place. This child
remembers having sat on the back of the red-brick turtle, also the red-brick frog,
which once resided at the Dadeland Mall; I was born here long enough ago, in fact,
to remember the Mall Un-Airconditioned.
(Nice pic of froggy and turtle's more exalted,
but just as gone, sibling the mer-horse-fountain {Earl Lapan, sculptor}
at http://www.pbase.com/donboyd/image/92970639)
In any case we're both here now and must alike buy water and batteries
and suffer nerves whenever the TV weatherguys praise a storm for its
excellent organization and make sweeping gestures across their maps,
showing the miserable thing where to find us if it's interested.

With apologies for regionalism and nostalgia
(and superstitious anti-weatherfolk peevishness),

Richard

KOS

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Postby KOS » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:42 am

Name: KOS
Recently some creative types submotted several award winning novels, first published deacafes ago, in manuscript format to major publishers and literary agents.
A
Of course, all the manuscripts were rejected.

Years ago I suggested to a couple of writers for the screen trade a similar experiment. We should take turns going in to pitch sessions with a secret briefcase video camera, and pitch classic Afilms with alteredtitles. I surmised that the raw footage of twenty-five year old wunderkinder "passing" on the likes of Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, The Seventh Seal, Ben-Hur and Yojimbo would make for an passably entertaining two hours.

A little editing, a touch of narration and a suitably looneytune score.

Of course the other writers quickly pointed out there were easier ways to get out of the business than to publicly bite the hand that throws gobbets of meat through the gilded bars.

None doubted the movie would be child's play to make. If one of the young dudes recognized the prank and threw us out, that would be the topmost fly on the turd mound.

I had to throw in one scatological reference, just in case Rich is reading. I strive to play to my audiences strengths.

I'd still like to make the movie though. Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

With my typical good timing, I have just "bought" a home. In Southern Califobia. On a hillside. Across the street from several hundred acres of pristine, nature preserve protected, crackly brown and tinder dry chaparral.

Cement tile roofing, two hour firewalls, interior sprinkler system and a fire station about a mile up a four lane road from us. All at no extra charge. Are they trying to tell me something?

Swoozan and I are looking for a cheap place to stay for the ten weeks or so until the new domus is finished. We want out of our current high priced Moon Colony rental, so we might concentrate on saving for the looning lunacy called The Move.

The In-Laws have offered their spare room. Remember the scene when Charlton Heston grabs the bars of his cage, while the gorilla washes him down with a fire hose in Planet of the Apes? "This is a madhouse!"? Further, deponent sayeth not.

Anyone know of a cheap residential hotel/motel/flop house with dead bed bugs, quiet winos, no screaming junkies and easy access to the Anaheim area where the SO works as a teacher?

We're also checking on "Ed Geins's List" for anyone with a room to rent for a few weeks. Writers check in, but they never check out.

I always thought I might someday wash up in a YMCA and write the Great American Novel while watching the crowd. I just never thought I would actually do it. Sorry, thank you for playing, and here are your complimentary "Lee's Press-On Nails".

We're also looking into house sitting. Two middle aged quietly crazy people, witn no cats, sans dogs, will travel. We don't play with matches. When I piss, most of it still hits the can.

You're welcome.

I feel like Cary Grant, without the looks, in Mr. Blancings Builds His Dream House.

I could check, but if I got that wrong some smart ass will tell me.

KOS

KOS

Smoke Gets In Your Eyes

Postby KOS » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:42 am

Recently some creative types submotted several award winning novels, first published deacafes ago, in manuscript format to major publishers and literary agents.
A
Of course, all the manuscripts were rejected.

Years ago I suggested to a couple of writers for the screen trade a similar experiment. We should take turns going in to pitch sessions with a secret briefcase video camera, and pitch classic Afilms with alteredtitles. I surmised that the raw footage of twenty-five year old wunderkinder "passing" on the likes of Gone with the Wind, Casablanca, The Seventh Seal, Ben-Hur and Yojimbo would make for an passably entertaining two hours.

A little editing, a touch of narration and a suitably looneytune score.

Of course the other writers quickly pointed out there were easier ways to get out of the business than to publicly bite the hand that throws gobbets of meat through the gilded bars.

None doubted the movie would be child's play to make. If one of the young dudes recognized the prank and threw us out, that would be the topmost fly on the turd mound.

I had to throw in one scatological reference, just in case Rich is reading. I strive to play to my audiences strengths.

I'd still like to make the movie though. Fuck 'em if they can't take a joke.

With my typical good timing, I have just "bought" a home. In Southern Califobia. On a hillside. Across the street from several hundred acres of pristine, nature preserve protected, crackly brown and tinder dry chaparral.

Cement tile roofing, two hour firewalls, interior sprinkler system and a fire station about a mile up a four lane road from us. All at no extra charge. Are they trying to tell me something?

Swoozan and I are looking for a cheap place to stay for the ten weeks or so until the new domus is finished. We want out of our current high priced Moon Colony rental, so we might concentrate on saving for the looning lunacy called The Move.

The In-Laws have offered their spare room. Remember the scene when Charlton Heston grabs the bars of his cage, while the gorilla washes him down with a fire hose in Planet of the Apes? "This is a madhouse!"? Further, deponent sayeth not.

Anyone know of a cheap residential hotel/motel/flop house with dead bed bugs, quiet winos, no screaming junkies and easy access to the Anaheim area where the SO works as a teacher?

We're also checking on "Ed Geins's List" for anyone with a room to rent for a few weeks. Writers check in, but they never check out.

I always thought I might someday wash up in a YMCA and write the Great American Novel while watching the crowd. I just never thought I would actually do it. Sorry, thank you for playing, and here are your complimentary "Lee's Press-On Nails".

We're also looking into house sitting. Two middle aged quietly crazy people, witn no cats, sans dogs, will travel. We don't play with matches. When I piss, most of it still hits the can.

You're welcome.

I feel like Cary Grant, without the looks, in Mr. Blancings Builds His Dream House.

I could check, but if I got that wrong some smart ass will tell me.

KOS

KOS

erratum minora

Postby KOS » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:48 am

"deacafes"? Sounds vaguely Parisian. "Decades".

KOS

erratum minora

Postby KOS » Mon Aug 31, 2009 8:48 am

"deacafes"? Sounds vaguely Parisian. "Decades".

Barney Dannelke

Crazy World of Arthur Brown Seasonal Bonfire

Postby Barney Dannelke » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:11 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
1300 square MILES??? Fuuuuck.

I don't normally dogpile on the wishing/prayer threads because I like most of my prayers and wishes to result in Bad Juju but in this case my sincere hopes for the continued safety of all West Coast Webderlanders - and then all of their neighbors. I allow myself this bias.

Looking forward to Voice From the Edge 3. Hoping against hope ISLETS made the cut this time but "it's all good" as the hoppers used to say 48 months ago or more.

---------------------------------------

It was my EXTREME good fortune and yes, honor, to interview the Dillons at the World Fantasy Con in Boston a few years ago. The quality of my life has been immeasurably enhanced by the people I have met while either pestering Harlan such as Asimov, Bradbury, Carol Emshwiller, Neil Gaiman, Theodore Sturgeon, Peter David, Dan Simmons, etc. etc. (it's a three page list, trust me) or simply standing near him, including friends I have kept for decades and friends I would do anything for such as Tim and Doug and a half dozen others.

But the two people who I got the strongest, warmest best vibe from of ALL these (now hundreds) of people was Leo & Diane Dillon. You want instant affirmation that there is hope for us as a species? Meet the Dillons. Maybe they argue about a color choice or the length of a line when nobody is looking or who didn't empty the dishwasher. If so, you would never EVER know it. Those two are golden. Or, if Harlan and the Electric Baby are golden then they are some super rare tungsten-platinum alloy.

They are themselves created - but I owe Harlan for that lovely association.

Be safe everyone - Barney

Barney Dannelke

Crazy World of Arthur Brown Seasonal Bonfire

Postby Barney Dannelke » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:11 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
1300 square MILES??? Fuuuuck.

I don't normally dogpile on the wishing/prayer threads because I like most of my prayers and wishes to result in Bad Juju but in this case my sincere hopes for the continued safety of all West Coast Webderlanders - and then all of their neighbors. I allow myself this bias.

Looking forward to Voice From the Edge 3. Hoping against hope ISLETS made the cut this time but "it's all good" as the hoppers used to say 48 months ago or more.

---------------------------------------

It was my EXTREME good fortune and yes, honor, to interview the Dillons at the World Fantasy Con in Boston a few years ago. The quality of my life has been immeasurably enhanced by the people I have met while either pestering Harlan such as Asimov, Bradbury, Carol Emshwiller, Neil Gaiman, Theodore Sturgeon, Peter David, Dan Simmons, etc. etc. (it's a three page list, trust me) or simply standing near him, including friends I have kept for decades and friends I would do anything for such as Tim and Doug and a half dozen others.

But the two people who I got the strongest, warmest best vibe from of ALL these (now hundreds) of people was Leo & Diane Dillon. You want instant affirmation that there is hope for us as a species? Meet the Dillons. Maybe they argue about a color choice or the length of a line when nobody is looking or who didn't empty the dishwasher. If so, you would never EVER know it. Those two are golden. Or, if Harlan and the Electric Baby are golden then they are some super rare tungsten-platinum alloy.

They are themselves created - but I owe Harlan for that lovely association.

Be safe everyone - Barney

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:23 am

Name: Frank Church
Ashamed to admit I never saw the Fall. Went around the web to see bits of it for free--I know, bad Frank--and it really looks stunning. Kind of the way Slumdog was visually stunning. Will rent it to see the whole thing.

Went to RottenTostadas and the film got a 60 percent, which is middling for a film that visually interesting. The main complaint was that it was all visual, with no heart, no story, no script ideas. What I saw begged to differ.

Tarsem was a commercial and music video director, who indulges in the pure visual. His "Losing My Religion" video for REM is one stunning moment. His visual poetry made the song a big hit.

The UK, for some reason, really hated the movie. Don't know why. Ebert loved it.

Trust Ebert, I say.

--------------

Why did Tarantino do so well with Basterds, but failed on Grindhouse? Don't understand. I expected the Death Proof video to go back up, but it didn't. Odd.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:23 am

Name: Frank Church
Ashamed to admit I never saw the Fall. Went around the web to see bits of it for free--I know, bad Frank--and it really looks stunning. Kind of the way Slumdog was visually stunning. Will rent it to see the whole thing.

Went to RottenTostadas and the film got a 60 percent, which is middling for a film that visually interesting. The main complaint was that it was all visual, with no heart, no story, no script ideas. What I saw begged to differ.

Tarsem was a commercial and music video director, who indulges in the pure visual. His "Losing My Religion" video for REM is one stunning moment. His visual poetry made the song a big hit.

The UK, for some reason, really hated the movie. Don't know why. Ebert loved it.

Trust Ebert, I say.

--------------

Why did Tarantino do so well with Basterds, but failed on Grindhouse? Don't understand. I expected the Death Proof video to go back up, but it didn't. Odd.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”