Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:23 am

Name: Rob
Source: unca20091007.htm
The weather here this summer has been totally bizarre, at least in my area.

The air pressure in this spot along the coast has been quite low over the months, keeping the temperatures actually CHILLY. Even as I type this, my room is cool right now; and I'm not even using an air conditioner!

Let me offer a trick, which may work for some of you in dealing with the heat depending on the air quality in your area:

I have a large fan set in the window, and a Japanese triptych screen set up about 6 feet away from the fan. This is circulating the air in a closed space, thereby keeping the whole room cooler. Before I had this set-up, this room would climb into the 90's by late afternoon, regardless of how many fans I'd set up. I used an air conditioner for a while, but that gets mighty expensive. Now I'm using only ONE fan, and it keeps a large room at constant low temperatures. If I'd known this trick before I'd have saved money instead of buying an air conditioner. The temperature is most likely much higher above the fog layer.

It's crazy because the room is so cool that I figure it must be moderate outdoors. I step outside, however, and it's like a goddamn blast furnace.

September always seems to be the scorcher month here - with blazing hot temperatures off the scale, particularly in the Valley. But I'm not sure when I last heard levels like 113 degrees!

Adapt and survive!

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:23 am

Source: unca20091009.htm
The weather here this summer has been totally bizarre, at least in my area.

The air pressure in this spot along the coast has been quite low over the months, keeping the temperatures actually CHILLY. Even as I type this, my room is cool right now; and I'm not even using an air conditioner!

Let me offer a trick, which may work for some of you in dealing with the heat depending on the air quality in your area:

I have a large fan set in the window, and a Japanese triptych screen set up about 6 feet away from the fan. This is circulating the air in a closed space, thereby keeping the whole room cooler. Before I had this set-up, this room would climb into the 90's by late afternoon, regardless of how many fans I'd set up. I used an air conditioner for a while, but that gets mighty expensive. Now I'm using only ONE fan, and it keeps a large room at constant low temperatures. If I'd known this trick before I'd have saved money instead of buying an air conditioner. The temperature is most likely much higher above the fog layer.

It's crazy because the room is so cool that I figure it must be moderate outdoors. I step outside, however, and it's like a goddamn blast furnace.

September always seems to be the scorcher month here - with blazing hot temperatures off the scale, particularly in the Valley. But I'm not sure when I last heard levels like 113 degrees!

Adapt and survive!

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:28 am

For clarity, my reference to "higher temperatures above the fog layer" was supposed to be in the first paragraph where I'm talking about early summer. There sure as hell ain't no "fog layer" NOW!!

No: it's damn hot outside this minute, but COOL in my room by the means I just described. Try it out.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:28 am

For clarity, my reference to "higher temperatures above the fog layer" was supposed to be in the first paragraph where I'm talking about early summer. There sure as hell ain't no "fog layer" NOW!!

No: it's damn hot outside this minute, but COOL in my room by the means I just described. Try it out.

Jesse C. Polhemus

Postby Jesse C. Polhemus » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:09 pm

Name: Jesse C. Polhemus
Susan, if my order hasn't shipped, do you possibly have a hardcover of SHATTERDAY to add to it? Another sad loss, just discovered. I'd be glad to put another check into the mail immediately and avoid wasted postage on a single book. Thank you.

- Jesse

Jesse C. Polhemus

Postby Jesse C. Polhemus » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:09 pm

Name: Jesse C. Polhemus
Susan, if my order hasn't shipped, do you possibly have a hardcover of SHATTERDAY to add to it? Another sad loss, just discovered. I'd be glad to put another check into the mail immediately and avoid wasted postage on a single book. Thank you.

- Jesse

Le

More on Leo and Diane Dillon

Postby Le » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:46 pm

Name: Le
I just pre-ordered my copy of THE GOBLIN AND THE EMPTY CHAIR (mentioned in my earlier post), and am foaming at the mouth for it to arrive next month.

For those interested, below is a link to a brief interview on NPR with the Dillons:
http://tinyurl.com/m8z8ap

I thought it funny that the interviewer asks them, "Why do you keep doing what you do?"

Leo Dillon laughs and says, "Well, for one thing, we like to *eat*...That's a constant."

Le

More on Leo and Diane Dillon

Postby Le » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:46 pm

Name: Le
I just pre-ordered my copy of THE GOBLIN AND THE EMPTY CHAIR (mentioned in my earlier post), and am foaming at the mouth for it to arrive next month.

For those interested, below is a link to a brief interview on NPR with the Dillons:
http://tinyurl.com/m8z8ap

I thought it funny that the interviewer asks them, "Why do you keep doing what you do?"

Leo Dillon laughs and says, "Well, for one thing, we like to *eat*...That's a constant."

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

MAGNIFICENCE

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:24 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
It has been a long while since I have unreservedly recommended a new motion picture to you.

Earlier this year, a two-hour magnificence titled THE FALL, with no stars,directed by Taslem, passed through. The TRANSFORMERS and DEATH SENTENCE slaverers did not go to see it.

It took four years, in 18 countries to make it.

There is a gloriousness within you will not soon forget. It has become, in one day, among my ten or twenty most rewarding, most unforgettable film experiences.

I will not beat you over the head with superlatives. If you miss it, friends--CDs readily available--I lament your loss.

My highest recommendation.

Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

MAGNIFICENCE

Postby Harlan Ellison » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:24 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
It has been a long while since I have unreservedly recommended a new motion picture to you.

Earlier this year, a two-hour magnificence titled THE FALL, with no stars,directed by Taslem, passed through. The TRANSFORMERS and DEATH SENTENCE slaverers did not go to see it.

It took four years, in 18 countries to make it.

There is a gloriousness within you will not soon forget. It has become, in one day, among my ten or twenty most rewarding, most unforgettable film experiences.

I will not beat you over the head with superlatives. If you miss it, friends--CDs readily available--I lament your loss.

My highest recommendation.

Harlan

Adam-Troy

THE FALL

Postby Adam-Troy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:27 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
I caught up with THE FALL a few weeks ago, on DVD, at a home with a big wall TV, and can testify that Harlan speaks truth (even if a few of the more lugubrious parts of the film tested my patience). Directing THE FALL must have been an act of magnificent obsession, and there is absolutely no doubt, watching it, why it took so much time to film required location shooting in so many countries. I knew I was in love with it during the elephant's aquatic ballet.

Last night I watched IN BRUGES again. Different kind of film, one of the sweetest gangster movies ever made.

Adam-Troy

THE FALL

Postby Adam-Troy » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:27 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
I caught up with THE FALL a few weeks ago, on DVD, at a home with a big wall TV, and can testify that Harlan speaks truth (even if a few of the more lugubrious parts of the film tested my patience). Directing THE FALL must have been an act of magnificent obsession, and there is absolutely no doubt, watching it, why it took so much time to film required location shooting in so many countries. I knew I was in love with it during the elephant's aquatic ballet.

Last night I watched IN BRUGES again. Different kind of film, one of the sweetest gangster movies ever made.

Dennis C

Along the Scenic Route

Postby Dennis C » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:48 am

Name: Dennis C
I seem to recall that back when ALONG THE SCENIC ROUTE was optioned for a motion picture, the plot was being changed to be about a guy out for revenge when his wife and child are killed.

Today the trades announced that Nicolas Cage will star in DRIVE ANGRY, a story of a man chasing the people who kidnapped and killed his daughter and their baby.

I wonder if there's a connection?

Dennis C

Along the Scenic Route

Postby Dennis C » Mon Aug 31, 2009 4:48 am

Name: Dennis C
I seem to recall that back when ALONG THE SCENIC ROUTE was optioned for a motion picture, the plot was being changed to be about a guy out for revenge when his wife and child are killed.

Today the trades announced that Nicolas Cage will star in DRIVE ANGRY, a story of a man chasing the people who kidnapped and killed his daughter and their baby.

I wonder if there's a connection?

Alejandro Riera

Breaking News

Postby Alejandro Riera » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:45 am

Name: Alejandro Riera
Disney has acquired Marvel. And no, this no late April Fool's joke:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ ... 5291.story

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”