Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:11 am

Name: Frank Church
Source: unca20091009.htm
Yea, you Angelinos, let's see a show of hands.

Semi-writer, you ok? Give us that hand.

Dennis C

Fires

Postby Dennis C » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:33 am

Name: Dennis C
Source: unca20091007.htm
Actually I'm the one in Glendale and I can see the fire from my house, but it'd have to go through a heck of a lot of neighborhoods to get to mine -- it's more on the northwest side of the area and I'm on the northeast. They have not evacuated anywhere near me yet.

I hear it's spreading further north, which is not good news for La Canada (a very lovely area).

Dennis C

Fires

Postby Dennis C » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:33 am

Actually I'm the one in Glendale and I can see the fire from my house, but it'd have to go through a heck of a lot of neighborhoods to get to mine -- it's more on the northwest side of the area and I'm on the northeast. They have not evacuated anywhere near me yet.

I hear it's spreading further north, which is not good news for La Canada (a very lovely area).

Michael Mayhew

Okay, that's not encouraging

Postby Michael Mayhew » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:56 am

Name: Michael Mayhew
The LA Times online map now includes a purple outline, which, if you click on it, has a handy text box which says that the firefighters' goal for today is to prevent the fire from moving past the purple boundary.

My house, and literally hundreds of others, is well on the wrong side of the purple line.

And yet, we are apparently not in an evacuation zone. I don't know if the LAFD is just setting the bar real low or if they can't coordinate their messaging, but it is not encouraging.

Sorry for the second post. It's been a crap day.

MM

Michael Mayhew

Okay, that's not encouraging

Postby Michael Mayhew » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:56 am

Name: Michael Mayhew
The LA Times online map now includes a purple outline, which, if you click on it, has a handy text box which says that the firefighters' goal for today is to prevent the fire from moving past the purple boundary.

My house, and literally hundreds of others, is well on the wrong side of the purple line.

And yet, we are apparently not in an evacuation zone. I don't know if the LAFD is just setting the bar real low or if they can't coordinate their messaging, but it is not encouraging.

Sorry for the second post. It's been a crap day.

MM

K. M. Kirby

stop the burning

Postby K. M. Kirby » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:07 am

Name: K. M. Kirby
Around the building, a perimeter create.

K. M. Kirby

stop the burning

Postby K. M. Kirby » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:07 am

Name: K. M. Kirby
Around the building, a perimeter create.

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

FIRE

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:11 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
For those of you not intimately fluent in the topography of Southern California: the fire is nowhere near us, though the air is suffocatingly chockfull of ash and smoke. An indoor day.

Staring out the French doors across what little remains of our backyard not Aesir-high in scaffolding in readiness for the brown and scratch coats of The Keep, in progress, we can see at night, almost 40 miles across the San Fernando Valley to the foothills of Altadena--where our good friend Ron Moore of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA lives--to flames licking the sky, and a pillar of roiling smoke heading 130 miles eastward.

It is an inferno out there, more than 22,000 evacuated, entire county schools shut down tomorrow, tanker after tanker skimming the San Bernadinos attempting to stay in front of the fireline.

But no, personally, we are all the way south across the Valley, atop the Santa Monica Mountains, and quite safe. Yet always at the back of my mind, we sit abutting 120 acres of preservation land (including Oak Forest Canyon, the North Benedict Mtn. Conservancy, Edgar Rice Burroughs Park) that has not burned in at least 85-100 years. The heat was 104-112 up here the past week, and down in Sherman Oaks. You have floods, hurricanes, droughts, icestorms, tornados...we have a "fire season": March through November.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

FIRE

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:11 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
For those of you not intimately fluent in the topography of Southern California: the fire is nowhere near us, though the air is suffocatingly chockfull of ash and smoke. An indoor day.

Staring out the French doors across what little remains of our backyard not Aesir-high in scaffolding in readiness for the brown and scratch coats of The Keep, in progress, we can see at night, almost 40 miles across the San Fernando Valley to the foothills of Altadena--where our good friend Ron Moore of BATTLESTAR GALACTICA lives--to flames licking the sky, and a pillar of roiling smoke heading 130 miles eastward.

It is an inferno out there, more than 22,000 evacuated, entire county schools shut down tomorrow, tanker after tanker skimming the San Bernadinos attempting to stay in front of the fireline.

But no, personally, we are all the way south across the Valley, atop the Santa Monica Mountains, and quite safe. Yet always at the back of my mind, we sit abutting 120 acres of preservation land (including Oak Forest Canyon, the North Benedict Mtn. Conservancy, Edgar Rice Burroughs Park) that has not burned in at least 85-100 years. The heat was 104-112 up here the past week, and down in Sherman Oaks. You have floods, hurricanes, droughts, icestorms, tornados...we have a "fire season": March through November.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Dennis C

correction

Postby Dennis C » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:15 am

Being geographically illiterate, I'm in the northwest, the fire is in the northeast.
And the air around our house is thick with smoke.
Good thing I'm going in to work today.

Dennis C

correction

Postby Dennis C » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:15 am

Being geographically illiterate, I'm in the northwest, the fire is in the northeast.
And the air around our house is thick with smoke.
Good thing I'm going in to work today.

Adam-Troy

Various Quickies

Postby Adam-Troy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:51 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
1) Good luck to all in the potential path of the fire.

2) Congratulations to Alex.

3) Richard Cohen, "Miami, FL?"

Adam-Troy

Various Quickies

Postby Adam-Troy » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:51 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
1) Good luck to all in the potential path of the fire.

2) Congratulations to Alex.

3) Richard Cohen, "Miami, FL?"

Semi-Writer

"FIRE!"

Postby Semi-Writer » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:57 am

Name: Semi-Writer
Frank: thanks for the concern, but apparently you've mistaken me for someone who has MON-EY and lives where there is foliage (well, okay, Hancock Park is pretty leafy but it's well-tended and *well-watered* leafy). I'm close to the city, so I can't even smell the smoke from where I am.

This morning, I drove through Universal City and got a good whiff of it from the 101, though. Went to a "Clean House" yard sale up in Van Nuys--that's a TV show on the Style Network. Sifted through five tables' worth of books, took away $5 dollars' worth but only one ("The Boy Who Won: The Further Adventures of the Little White Indians" by Fannie E. Ostrander) seems to be worth anything.

Semi-Writer

"FIRE!"

Postby Semi-Writer » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:57 am

Name: Semi-Writer
Frank: thanks for the concern, but apparently you've mistaken me for someone who has MON-EY and lives where there is foliage (well, okay, Hancock Park is pretty leafy but it's well-tended and *well-watered* leafy). I'm close to the city, so I can't even smell the smoke from where I am.

This morning, I drove through Universal City and got a good whiff of it from the 101, though. Went to a "Clean House" yard sale up in Van Nuys--that's a TV show on the Style Network. Sifted through five tables' worth of books, took away $5 dollars' worth but only one ("The Boy Who Won: The Further Adventures of the Little White Indians" by Fannie E. Ostrander) seems to be worth anything.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”