Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:47 am

Name: Chuck Messer
Source: unca20091007.htm
A FISHHEAD IN ASPIC! Great to know Harlan's got another book coming out. Cool.

I hope Susan is on the mend, and that you avoid catching that bug. It sounds nasty.

Adam-Troy Castro: I'm glad to see your dad doing well. I hope he continues his recovery.

Peter David: Unintentional irony, indeed.

I got a birthday card from Dad and Ellie. They both signed it. Dad's signature was an unreadable scribble. Ellie wrote beneath it, "He tried." I'm going to see him later today.

Chuck

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:47 am

Name: Chuck Messer
Source: unca20091009.htm
A FISHHEAD IN ASPIC! Great to know Harlan's got another book coming out. Cool.

I hope Susan is on the mend, and that you avoid catching that bug. It sounds nasty.

Adam-Troy Castro: I'm glad to see your dad doing well. I hope he continues his recovery.

Peter David: Unintentional irony, indeed.

I got a birthday card from Dad and Ellie. They both signed it. Dad's signature was an unreadable scribble. Ellie wrote beneath it, "He tried." I'm going to see him later today.

Chuck

shagin

Postby shagin » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:01 am

Name: shagin
CHUCK: I have a handful of samples of my youngest son writing his name. At times it's not legible and he may not be able to do it without a hand over hand, but they still have meaning. Happy Birthday, and enjoy your visit with your dad!

A-TC: *cheer* You can't see the pom-poms, but they are a-shakin' like mad at the good news!

New Ellison Book! Wahoo!

shagin

shagin

Postby shagin » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:01 am

Name: shagin
CHUCK: I have a handful of samples of my youngest son writing his name. At times it's not legible and he may not be able to do it without a hand over hand, but they still have meaning. Happy Birthday, and enjoy your visit with your dad!

A-TC: *cheer* You can't see the pom-poms, but they are a-shakin' like mad at the good news!

New Ellison Book! Wahoo!

shagin

TallyJohnson

YAY!

Postby TallyJohnson » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:07 am

Name: Tally
Huzza for the new book Harlan and get well soon Susan.

TallyJohnson

YAY!

Postby TallyJohnson » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:07 am

Name: Tally
Huzza for the new book Harlan and get well soon Susan.

Laurie

Wow...

Postby Laurie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:16 am

Name: Laurie
a new Ellison book. I am greatly looking forward to it. When it comes out, I'm going to ditch work for the day and read and read.

Susan: Hope you are starting to feel better now. Chicken soup with raw garlic chopped into it is what I use to break up the last of a bad bug.

A-T C: I am glad to know your dad in on the mend. Parents getting older is one of life's major challenges for most of us. It's good to know you will have your dad around some more. I was very close with my dad and took care of him during his older years so I can relate.

Laurie

Wow...

Postby Laurie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:16 am

Name: Laurie
a new Ellison book. I am greatly looking forward to it. When it comes out, I'm going to ditch work for the day and read and read.

Susan: Hope you are starting to feel better now. Chicken soup with raw garlic chopped into it is what I use to break up the last of a bad bug.

A-T C: I am glad to know your dad in on the mend. Parents getting older is one of life's major challenges for most of us. It's good to know you will have your dad around some more. I was very close with my dad and took care of him during his older years so I can relate.

Semi-Writer

Tuesday.

Postby Semi-Writer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:27 am

Name: Semi-Writer
Best to Susan, and hope that you're well soon!

A new book... book... book... Such a beautiful word, "book." Especially when you tack on "by Harlan Ellison." And perhaps because of that joyous news, I had a dream about Harlan last night/this morning. In the dream, he systematically whupped my butt in a game of Trivial Pursuit (yea, I know, even when I dream, I'm boring).

With some reluctance, I whipped out the credit card and went to see "Funny People" yesterday--I think it's only the second movie that I've seen this year ("Monsters vs. Aliens" being the other one, 'cause I wanted to experience the new-and-improved 3D effect). What's really a trip is to sit back and see so many familiar stand-up comedians in one shot! Until then, I didn't realize just how many of these guys I've talked to and seen face-to-face from hanging out at the clubs over the past several years. Very nice of Judd Apatow to hire the big stars like Ray Romano along with the less-megastars or forgotten comics (guys like Wayne Federman and Charles Fleischer).

Just for the record, the most memorable comic meeting for me was Robin Williams. I was in the back of the Comedy Store and looking none-too-attractive, dressed in jeans, a man's short-sleeved shirt and a hat. He'd never met me before. Nevertheless, he walked right up to me with no hesitation and stuck out his hand. We shook hands, then he sat on the stool next to me for a few minutes before going back outside for the necessary hobnobbing. In his wake... WOW. I just shook hands with someone I'd been watching on TV for over 20 years. One of those things you never even *dream* might happen.

Semi-Writer

Tuesday.

Postby Semi-Writer » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:27 am

Name: Semi-Writer
Best to Susan, and hope that you're well soon!

A new book... book... book... Such a beautiful word, "book." Especially when you tack on "by Harlan Ellison." And perhaps because of that joyous news, I had a dream about Harlan last night/this morning. In the dream, he systematically whupped my butt in a game of Trivial Pursuit (yea, I know, even when I dream, I'm boring).

With some reluctance, I whipped out the credit card and went to see "Funny People" yesterday--I think it's only the second movie that I've seen this year ("Monsters vs. Aliens" being the other one, 'cause I wanted to experience the new-and-improved 3D effect). What's really a trip is to sit back and see so many familiar stand-up comedians in one shot! Until then, I didn't realize just how many of these guys I've talked to and seen face-to-face from hanging out at the clubs over the past several years. Very nice of Judd Apatow to hire the big stars like Ray Romano along with the less-megastars or forgotten comics (guys like Wayne Federman and Charles Fleischer).

Just for the record, the most memorable comic meeting for me was Robin Williams. I was in the back of the Comedy Store and looking none-too-attractive, dressed in jeans, a man's short-sleeved shirt and a hat. He'd never met me before. Nevertheless, he walked right up to me with no hesitation and stuck out his hand. We shook hands, then he sat on the stool next to me for a few minutes before going back outside for the necessary hobnobbing. In his wake... WOW. I just shook hands with someone I'd been watching on TV for over 20 years. One of those things you never even *dream* might happen.

Justin

New book!

Postby Justin » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:29 am

Name: Justin
Man alive, that's the best news I've heard all month. I can't wait!

Justin

New book!

Postby Justin » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:29 am

Name: Justin
Man alive, that's the best news I've heard all month. I can't wait!

Michael Mayhew

A Recommendation

Postby Michael Mayhew » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:40 am

Name: Michael Mayhew
ALL - but especially those of you on the East Coast. I just got back from a trip to New York City for a friend's wedding. Aside from the wedding itself, my favorite part of the trip was exploring the new High Line park on the west side of Manhattan.

The High Line is a nearly two mile-long elevated, steel structure built in the 1930s to carry freight trains. The last train ran on it in 1980. Then for twenty years or so, wind-blown seeds settled there and gradually it turned into a long, narrow, elevated meadow. A bunch of clever, dedicated people got together and convinced the city to turn it into a park.

So far they've finished and opened the first third of it. I love, love, love this space. It's smart ecology, it's smart architecture, it's smart storytelling (they left most of the old rails, so the history of the place is right there for you to see, even as it's also a working park) - and it's marvelously whimsical.

And it's obvious when you're there that the locals love it. Tons of people up there reading and walking and sitting on the benches to watch the river go by. And it's amazing how different the city feels just a couple stories up. The noise damps down and the air is fresher. If you find yourself in that part of the world, it's most definitely worth a look-see.

HARLAN - Very exciting news! Will the new book contain "How Interesting, A Tiny Man"? I hope...

MM

Michael Mayhew

A Recommendation

Postby Michael Mayhew » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:40 am

Name: Michael Mayhew
ALL - but especially those of you on the East Coast. I just got back from a trip to New York City for a friend's wedding. Aside from the wedding itself, my favorite part of the trip was exploring the new High Line park on the west side of Manhattan.

The High Line is a nearly two mile-long elevated, steel structure built in the 1930s to carry freight trains. The last train ran on it in 1980. Then for twenty years or so, wind-blown seeds settled there and gradually it turned into a long, narrow, elevated meadow. A bunch of clever, dedicated people got together and convinced the city to turn it into a park.

So far they've finished and opened the first third of it. I love, love, love this space. It's smart ecology, it's smart architecture, it's smart storytelling (they left most of the old rails, so the history of the place is right there for you to see, even as it's also a working park) - and it's marvelously whimsical.

And it's obvious when you're there that the locals love it. Tons of people up there reading and walking and sitting on the benches to watch the river go by. And it's amazing how different the city feels just a couple stories up. The noise damps down and the air is fresher. If you find yourself in that part of the world, it's most definitely worth a look-see.

HARLAN - Very exciting news! Will the new book contain "How Interesting, A Tiny Man"? I hope...

MM

MichaelRapoport

Chomping at the bit

Postby MichaelRapoport » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:23 pm

Name: Michael Rapoport
Delighted to hear about the new book, Harlan. Now, of course, I am: 1) consumed with trying to guess the significance of the title, 2) pondering what sort of book it'll be, and what'll be in it, and 3) trying to force myself to be patient till I have the thing in my hands for my reading pleasure. That last in particular is not going to be easy.

Susan, I add my well-wishings to the rest. I hope you're feeling better by now, and if not by now, then very soon.

Adam-Troy, very glad to hear your dad is doing better. And as regards that quote about Stephen Hawking, you'll be interested to know that half the blogosphere has called out Investor's Business Daily on its sheer idiocy. Just do a Google News search for "Stephen Hawking" and you'll see. Also, IBD has now edited the online version of its editorial to remove that line (and add an editor's note acknowledging the mistake, without admitting just how dumb it was).

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”