Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

markabaddon

Catching Up

Postby markabaddon » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:19 am

Name: Mark Goldberg
Source: unca20091009.htm
Robert Ross, stay strong my friend and when (not if, but when) you are feeling better we can take another trip over to Dreamhaven.

John Zeock, I have not read much of Ligotti's work, but his story The Last Feast of the Harlequin was absolutely excellent. He used some similar elements to Lovecraft but it was done in a much more streamlined style while still evoking a sense of wonder and dread. I have come across one or two other stories of his that I liked, but this one made a strong impression upon me

As for good vampire stories, unfortunately most of my books are packed up and in storage right now as I get ready to move, but two rather unique takes on the vampire legend are "Ragz" and "Crucifiction" by Adam-Troy Castro. They are both highly recommended

Paul, thanks for the kind words, my Mom is doing OK. The radiation and chemo really has her wiped out but her spirit seems better lately, which is a huge positive.

Barber, you actually talk to people on planes?

Adam-Troy

The Sand Artist

Postby Adam-Troy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:36 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Source: unca20091007.htm
Frank: her name's Kseniya Simonova, and yes, it's one of the great wonders of the universe that a woman capable of performing such miracles should also look like *that* while doing it...

Adam-Troy

The Sand Artist

Postby Adam-Troy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:36 am

Frank: her name's Kseniya Simonova, and yes, it's one of the great wonders of the universe that a woman capable of performing such miracles should also look like *that* while doing it...

Andrew F

zeniths and nadirs

Postby Andrew F » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:39 pm

Name: Andrew F
Lost an old friend yesterday. He was a childhood buddy whom I saw only one week each summer in the early years. The elaborate stories played out by our imaginations in the forests and parks under muggy Midwestern climes will never be forgotten. He was a role model, a confidant, a chum. Though it had been years since we last spoke, I never doubted that I'd see him again. He was planning a move to my city. Our parents kept reminding us to get in touch. Now it is too late. This is a harsh one. It claws deep.

In other news, which would excite me on less somber days, you can read three new stories of mine:
"Adrift" at Every Day Fiction http://www.everydayfiction.com/adrift-b ... -s-fuller/
"Among the Stacks" in Ink-filled Page http://inkfilledpage.com/current-issue/ ($3 PDF... or wait for the annual print anthology)
"But A Moment Ago" at A Fly in Amber http://www.aflyinamber.net/?p=356

(...and another piece coming up Aug 14 at Ruthless Peoples magazine).

Also, my short-film screenplay is currently before the camera. We hope to submit to the HPL Film Festival by next week's deadline.

Everything was going well. But just for me. I'd forgotten how quickly life can change on you. Sunshine to rain to hailstones when you're alone in a pleasant open field.

If there's someone you've been meaning to call, here's a reminder to do so.

Mir,
Andrew

Andrew F

zeniths and nadirs

Postby Andrew F » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:39 pm

Name: Andrew F
Lost an old friend yesterday. He was a childhood buddy whom I saw only one week each summer in the early years. The elaborate stories played out by our imaginations in the forests and parks under muggy Midwestern climes will never be forgotten. He was a role model, a confidant, a chum. Though it had been years since we last spoke, I never doubted that I'd see him again. He was planning a move to my city. Our parents kept reminding us to get in touch. Now it is too late. This is a harsh one. It claws deep.

In other news, which would excite me on less somber days, you can read three new stories of mine:
"Adrift" at Every Day Fiction http://www.everydayfiction.com/adrift-b ... -s-fuller/
"Among the Stacks" in Ink-filled Page http://inkfilledpage.com/current-issue/ ($3 PDF... or wait for the annual print anthology)
"But A Moment Ago" at A Fly in Amber http://www.aflyinamber.net/?p=356

(...and another piece coming up Aug 14 at Ruthless Peoples magazine).

Also, my short-film screenplay is currently before the camera. We hope to submit to the HPL Film Festival by next week's deadline.

Everything was going well. But just for me. I'd forgotten how quickly life can change on you. Sunshine to rain to hailstones when you're alone in a pleasant open field.

If there's someone you've been meaning to call, here's a reminder to do so.

Mir,
Andrew

Adam-Troy

Budd Schulberg

Postby Adam-Troy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:55 pm

Dead at 95: Budd Schulberg, author of WHAT MAKES SAMMY RUN, responsible for the truly great screenplays for "On the Waterfront," "A Face In the Crowd," and "The Harder They Fall."

Adam-Troy

Budd Schulberg

Postby Adam-Troy » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:55 pm

Dead at 95: Budd Schulberg, author of WHAT MAKES SAMMY RUN, responsible for the truly great screenplays for "On the Waterfront," "A Face In the Crowd," and "The Harder They Fall."

shagin

Someone order warm fuzzies?

Postby shagin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:02 pm

Name: shagin
Andrew F: There are so many cliches that would cover the wound but give little comfort. I am very sorry for your loss. Hold on to those memories and take succor when you can.

Robert Ross: The best thing about warm fuzzies? They help bolster you during chemo, malignant cells can't stick to them, and they are one of the few honest sentiments that can survive immersion in the seemingly stagnant waters of the internet. Take as many as you need, I have plenty and to spare.

Mark: Three cheers for your mom! And three cheers for you for taking care of yourself when things get tough. Oh, look! Warm fuzzies to spare!

The job hunt continues, and once again we're faced with the dilemma of making a livable wage or maintaining the benefits for our youngest son.

Jim Baen's Universe will be closing up shop as of the April 2010 issue. Poopy...

shagin

shagin

Someone order warm fuzzies?

Postby shagin » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:02 pm

Name: shagin
Andrew F: There are so many cliches that would cover the wound but give little comfort. I am very sorry for your loss. Hold on to those memories and take succor when you can.

Robert Ross: The best thing about warm fuzzies? They help bolster you during chemo, malignant cells can't stick to them, and they are one of the few honest sentiments that can survive immersion in the seemingly stagnant waters of the internet. Take as many as you need, I have plenty and to spare.

Mark: Three cheers for your mom! And three cheers for you for taking care of yourself when things get tough. Oh, look! Warm fuzzies to spare!

The job hunt continues, and once again we're faced with the dilemma of making a livable wage or maintaining the benefits for our youngest son.

Jim Baen's Universe will be closing up shop as of the April 2010 issue. Poopy...

shagin

Dima

Interesting article et al.

Postby Dima » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:47 pm

Name: Dima
Hello all,

My husband sent me this article today which I think most of you here would enjoy. Probably not news to most, but it is well written: http://www.alternet.org/story/106551/

In HE-related news, I finally got to watch DWST this weekend, it's wonderful! Thank you Erik Nelson. Plus, I found "The mammoth book of comic fantasy II" at a garage sale, which contains (among many other wonderful stories) "The outpost undiscovered by tourists" by Mr. Ellison. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who has not read it.

That's it from me for now. Hello Steve and Cris!

Dima

Dima

Interesting article et al.

Postby Dima » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:47 pm

Name: Dima
Hello all,

My husband sent me this article today which I think most of you here would enjoy. Probably not news to most, but it is well written: http://www.alternet.org/story/106551/

In HE-related news, I finally got to watch DWST this weekend, it's wonderful! Thank you Erik Nelson. Plus, I found "The mammoth book of comic fantasy II" at a garage sale, which contains (among many other wonderful stories) "The outpost undiscovered by tourists" by Mr. Ellison. I thoroughly enjoyed it and would recommend it to anyone who has not read it.

That's it from me for now. Hello Steve and Cris!

Dima

DTS

Kseniya Simonova

Postby DTS » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Name: DTS
ADAM-TROY and FRANK: Damn, that WAS amazing, wasn't it? (Thanks for hipping everyone to it, ATC). Afer watching it, all I could think was that it was the video/musical equivalent of some of the work done by Ellsion and Yerka in MINDFIELDS. She's a very talented young woman. (And I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the artistic ability she'd developed at such a young age -- those images were created as fast as some of the images created by Ellison or Robin Williams when they are onstage, telling stories.

-DTS

DTS

Kseniya Simonova

Postby DTS » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Name: DTS
ADAM-TROY and FRANK: Damn, that WAS amazing, wasn't it? (Thanks for hipping everyone to it, ATC). Afer watching it, all I could think was that it was the video/musical equivalent of some of the work done by Ellsion and Yerka in MINDFIELDS. She's a very talented young woman. (And I'm still trying to wrap my mind around the artistic ability she'd developed at such a young age -- those images were created as fast as some of the images created by Ellison or Robin Williams when they are onstage, telling stories.

-DTS

Dennis C

WorldCon report

Postby Dennis C » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Name: Dennis C
Just back from WorldCon day one in Montreal. We actually came in a few days early to enjoy the city and sightsee -- and what a marvelous city it is! And what a marvelous lot of amazing food we pigged out on (rivaling anything in NYC or LA).

Our Host was well represented in the Dealers Room with a big stack of SHATTERDAY books courtesy of Tachyon Publications, well-displayed and looking quite spiffy.

He was also mentioned in passing by Charles Stross in a talk with Paul Krugman -- Krugman actually, yes honestly, did ask Stross where he got his ideas, and Stross made an aside about Harlan's idea place in Poughkeepsie.

Neil Gaiman had a Q&A and was as charmining as ever. They were supposed to take questions from a question box, and I put one in asking about Harlan's influence on Neil. But the moderator claimed the questions from the box 'weren't very good' and proceeded just to take them from the audience. Yes, I did snarl and would have gone for her throat, but the wife stopped me. Still, Neil had wonderful stories and one in particular I thought I'd share.
A few years back he wanted to do a six-issue SANDMAN prequel in celebration of the 20th anniversary of the graphic novel. He called DC and they were hot on it. It looked like everything was a 'go'. Until he came to find that DC would only pay him the rate he was making in 1987 when he was an unknown and was doing the first SANDMAN comics. Not a penny more. He said he was willing to negotiate, but wouldn't let them be that cheap. They wouldn't budge -- THE SAME RATE THAT HE GOT IN 1987!!!! That's it. So that's why we don't have a SANDMAN prequel.

The bad news: Norman Spinrad and Joe Haldeman have pulled out of the conference -- I was greatly looking forward to seeing them.
And in typical WorldCon style, two of the conferences we went to failed to have their guest speakers show up. Such is Day One.

I will only report news of interest to you lads and lassies here. But thought you might find a few nuggets of knowledge in this stuff.

Hail and Farewell.

Dennis C

WorldCon report

Postby Dennis C » Thu Aug 06, 2009 5:28 pm

Name: Dennis C
Just back from WorldCon day one in Montreal. We actually came in a few days early to enjoy the city and sightsee -- and what a marvelous city it is! And what a marvelous lot of amazing food we pigged out on (rivaling anything in NYC or LA).

Our Host was well represented in the Dealers Room with a big stack of SHATTERDAY books courtesy of Tachyon Publications, well-displayed and looking quite spiffy.

He was also mentioned in passing by Charles Stross in a talk with Paul Krugman -- Krugman actually, yes honestly, did ask Stross where he got his ideas, and Stross made an aside about Harlan's idea place in Poughkeepsie.

Neil Gaiman had a Q&A and was as charmining as ever. They were supposed to take questions from a question box, and I put one in asking about Harlan's influence on Neil. But the moderator claimed the questions from the box 'weren't very good' and proceeded just to take them from the audience. Yes, I did snarl and would have gone for her throat, but the wife stopped me. Still, Neil had wonderful stories and one in particular I thought I'd share.
A few years back he wanted to do a six-issue SANDMAN prequel in celebration of the 20th anniversary of the graphic novel. He called DC and they were hot on it. It looked like everything was a 'go'. Until he came to find that DC would only pay him the rate he was making in 1987 when he was an unknown and was doing the first SANDMAN comics. Not a penny more. He said he was willing to negotiate, but wouldn't let them be that cheap. They wouldn't budge -- THE SAME RATE THAT HE GOT IN 1987!!!! That's it. So that's why we don't have a SANDMAN prequel.

The bad news: Norman Spinrad and Joe Haldeman have pulled out of the conference -- I was greatly looking forward to seeing them.
And in typical WorldCon style, two of the conferences we went to failed to have their guest speakers show up. Such is Day One.

I will only report news of interest to you lads and lassies here. But thought you might find a few nuggets of knowledge in this stuff.

Hail and Farewell.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”