Pavilion Digest: August 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

admin
Site Admin

Pavilion Digest: August 2009

Postby admin » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:15 am

The following posts contain Art Deco Dining Pavilion messages for the month of August 2009.

William Sherman

A Waste of Time (?)

Postby William Sherman » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:15 am

Name: William Sherman
Source: unca20091007.htm
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

After reading lo, these many posts regarding health insurance here in the United States, and learning of similar plights in my greater, social network, I have come to fear that my short stint, and those of my family members throughout the years, in the service of the U.S. may have been a foolish waste of time.

This thought came to me yesterday, during another heavy downpour from yet another thunderstorm to hit eastern New England, when my lovely nine-year-old niece asked about what she should do with her future life. Tempted to tell her to move to Canada, or, failing that, stick her head in a gas oven, a la Willy Loman, I suggested the old stand-by's: law, medicine, even finance (gasp!). I could not come to tell her that she and her generation was "doomed in the womb": inheriting a culturally and financially bankrupted society that could not even guarantee her that she would live to age thirty with any sort of quality of life. I could not tell her that Jefferson's "Empire of Liberty" had devolved into a mercantilist colony of the People's Republic of China, or that adults of my generation had taken "Gordon Gekko's" creed of "Greed is Good", and turned my grandfather's country into a continent-sized used car lot. Naturally, I dissuaded her from a career in the military, fearing she would want to defend this madness.

She's too young to understand.

@Sara Slaymaker: economically, Vermont offers such fine state-sponsored health care, compared to us "Massholes" down here, for a few simple reasons. First, Vermont comprises a relatively small, homogeneous population, under a state government that, I believe, uniquely among the fifty failed states of the U.S., may run budget deficits from year-to-year. Finally, Vermont is the "most rural" of the fifty: less stress than, say, in So. California or in the greater Boston area. Ergo, less aggregate demand for health care. Now, about those cows .......

From Bosox to Botox to PED's: Bill Veeck said it best about the business of baseball, although then he spoke only of the owners, and not of the later players, millionaire sub-contractors that would be later free agents. "Baseball must be a great game. The owners haven't destroyed it yet."

Regards, from a Red Sox season ticket holder (and baseball sucker, in ALL senses of the word),

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

William Sherman

A Waste of Time (?)

Postby William Sherman » Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:15 am

Name: William Sherman
Source: unca20091009.htm
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

After reading lo, these many posts regarding health insurance here in the United States, and learning of similar plights in my greater, social network, I have come to fear that my short stint, and those of my family members throughout the years, in the service of the U.S. may have been a foolish waste of time.

This thought came to me yesterday, during another heavy downpour from yet another thunderstorm to hit eastern New England, when my lovely nine-year-old niece asked about what she should do with her future life. Tempted to tell her to move to Canada, or, failing that, stick her head in a gas oven, a la Willy Loman, I suggested the old stand-by's: law, medicine, even finance (gasp!). I could not come to tell her that she and her generation was "doomed in the womb": inheriting a culturally and financially bankrupted society that could not even guarantee her that she would live to age thirty with any sort of quality of life. I could not tell her that Jefferson's "Empire of Liberty" had devolved into a mercantilist colony of the People's Republic of China, or that adults of my generation had taken "Gordon Gekko's" creed of "Greed is Good", and turned my grandfather's country into a continent-sized used car lot. Naturally, I dissuaded her from a career in the military, fearing she would want to defend this madness.

She's too young to understand.

@Sara Slaymaker: economically, Vermont offers such fine state-sponsored health care, compared to us "Massholes" down here, for a few simple reasons. First, Vermont comprises a relatively small, homogeneous population, under a state government that, I believe, uniquely among the fifty failed states of the U.S., may run budget deficits from year-to-year. Finally, Vermont is the "most rural" of the fifty: less stress than, say, in So. California or in the greater Boston area. Ergo, less aggregate demand for health care. Now, about those cows .......

From Bosox to Botox to PED's: Bill Veeck said it best about the business of baseball, although then he spoke only of the owners, and not of the later players, millionaire sub-contractors that would be later free agents. "Baseball must be a great game. The owners haven't destroyed it yet."

Regards, from a Red Sox season ticket holder (and baseball sucker, in ALL senses of the word),

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:05 am

Name: Chuck Messer
KOS, dear fellow, I do have Prince Albert in a can.

And I'm not letting the ruddy beggar out, either.

Chuck

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:05 am

Name: Chuck Messer
KOS, dear fellow, I do have Prince Albert in a can.

And I'm not letting the ruddy beggar out, either.

Chuck

Jan

Postby Jan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:16 am

Name: Jan
Sorry for all the ugly links but we all know it's necessary and good for your education!

Two very good deeds by Loftus:
"My guerrilla plant-watering campaign"
www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/20 ... _camp.html
His fascinating interview with Paul Collins on "The Book of William: How Shakespeares First Folio Conquered The World"
http://calitreview.com/4192

Previously unknown, to me, photo of the Ellisons at some signing
www.johneverson.com/whc2005/images/Sign ... llison.jpg

Barry Levin interview, Harlan photo, date unknown
http://www.abebooks.com/docs/ScienceFic ... evin.shtml

Attention Harlan/lawyers - Pirated downloadable version of No Tengo Boca etc. by Byrne/Ellison:
http://comicsyfiguras.blogspot.com/2009 ... -debo.html (link to download page near bottom)

The 2003 Czech version and volume of Batman B&W you're in:
www.sklep.gildia.pl/komiksy/13-batman-b ... ite-ii-cz2

In case I never mentioned this either:
A 4-page Italian article on Harlan's career by Carmine Treanni which originally appeared in Delos Science Fiction 97 (2005).
www.fantascienza.com/magazine/rubriche/ ... lan-ellis/
From Star Trek to Babylon 5: The World of Harlan Ellison. - The man who dared challenge Isaac Asimov, Gene Roddenberry, Terminator and who has become a living legend of SF history.

Jan

Postby Jan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 4:16 am

Name: Jan
Sorry for all the ugly links but we all know it's necessary and good for your education!

Two very good deeds by Loftus:
"My guerrilla plant-watering campaign"
www.oregonlive.com/opinion/index.ssf/20 ... _camp.html
His fascinating interview with Paul Collins on "The Book of William: How Shakespeares First Folio Conquered The World"
http://calitreview.com/4192

Previously unknown, to me, photo of the Ellisons at some signing
www.johneverson.com/whc2005/images/Sign ... llison.jpg

Barry Levin interview, Harlan photo, date unknown
http://www.abebooks.com/docs/ScienceFic ... evin.shtml

Attention Harlan/lawyers - Pirated downloadable version of No Tengo Boca etc. by Byrne/Ellison:
http://comicsyfiguras.blogspot.com/2009 ... -debo.html (link to download page near bottom)

The 2003 Czech version and volume of Batman B&W you're in:
www.sklep.gildia.pl/komiksy/13-batman-b ... ite-ii-cz2

In case I never mentioned this either:
A 4-page Italian article on Harlan's career by Carmine Treanni which originally appeared in Delos Science Fiction 97 (2005).
www.fantascienza.com/magazine/rubriche/ ... lan-ellis/
From Star Trek to Babylon 5: The World of Harlan Ellison. - The man who dared challenge Isaac Asimov, Gene Roddenberry, Terminator and who has become a living legend of SF history.

Samuel John Klein

Remorse and Joy and Yay David Loftus

Postby Samuel John Klein » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:07 am

Name: Samuel John Klein
First point: Looking over those anti-Obama (actually, anti-you and anti-me, because anyone who's against real health-care reform holds us in deep contempt) bits of boilerplate farfel, I'd just like to express a little regret, because I have latterly realized that we all may have been the target of trolls; it's possible, we must admit, the things were so Xerox-copied that someone looking for a good time may have come round to stir up the (insert pejorative of choice for anyone to the political left of anything)s.

So with the explicit purpose of making myself the only fool here, I'd like to say that if those were trolls, well, you got me going by lying to me. To this bull, baldfaced lies are like the proverbial red cape. Flap one in front of me and watch me go.

The testimonials and responses here would be hard for an opponent of health care who actually has a conscience to read, anyway, because they reflect real truth, the truth that the poor and non-voiced are remorselessly ground to grease spots by the very wheels of the society that bears the lucky-to-do about in comfort and lack of care. Those are real sincerity at work, and one more person being ground up for no good reason when there's enough to make us all whole is just a damned sin.

Shame on you if you're in favor of the status quo. Shame. This sentence, I don't care if it miffs anyone. Deal.

I'd like to echo Jan on the following:

DAVID LOFTUS' GUERILLA PLANT WATERING CAMPAIGN! What a beautiful, crazy, goofy, plain-damn-nifty piece of modern human work to do! It says way too much about our current society that as long as the strip lay fallow, collecting garbage (here in Portland of all places! Where'd our pride go?) it was jake with everyone, but once someone does something joyful and nifty, some prig comes sniffin' around, saying, you cannot DO this, it just ISN'T ALLOWED!

God, this provides me joy. Everytime I think "Stick a fork in us, we're done, just put us in the bin", someone does something crazy silly wonderfully YES!YES!YES!

Just because we're human doesn't mean we have to destroy the place!

We need more David Loftuses (is that a proper plural?)

Sam Klein
Working toward Menschhood. Not doing a spectacular job of it, but nobody's perfect.

Samuel John Klein

Remorse and Joy and Yay David Loftus

Postby Samuel John Klein » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:07 am

Name: Samuel John Klein
First point: Looking over those anti-Obama (actually, anti-you and anti-me, because anyone who's against real health-care reform holds us in deep contempt) bits of boilerplate farfel, I'd just like to express a little regret, because I have latterly realized that we all may have been the target of trolls; it's possible, we must admit, the things were so Xerox-copied that someone looking for a good time may have come round to stir up the (insert pejorative of choice for anyone to the political left of anything)s.

So with the explicit purpose of making myself the only fool here, I'd like to say that if those were trolls, well, you got me going by lying to me. To this bull, baldfaced lies are like the proverbial red cape. Flap one in front of me and watch me go.

The testimonials and responses here would be hard for an opponent of health care who actually has a conscience to read, anyway, because they reflect real truth, the truth that the poor and non-voiced are remorselessly ground to grease spots by the very wheels of the society that bears the lucky-to-do about in comfort and lack of care. Those are real sincerity at work, and one more person being ground up for no good reason when there's enough to make us all whole is just a damned sin.

Shame on you if you're in favor of the status quo. Shame. This sentence, I don't care if it miffs anyone. Deal.

I'd like to echo Jan on the following:

DAVID LOFTUS' GUERILLA PLANT WATERING CAMPAIGN! What a beautiful, crazy, goofy, plain-damn-nifty piece of modern human work to do! It says way too much about our current society that as long as the strip lay fallow, collecting garbage (here in Portland of all places! Where'd our pride go?) it was jake with everyone, but once someone does something joyful and nifty, some prig comes sniffin' around, saying, you cannot DO this, it just ISN'T ALLOWED!

God, this provides me joy. Everytime I think "Stick a fork in us, we're done, just put us in the bin", someone does something crazy silly wonderfully YES!YES!YES!

Just because we're human doesn't mean we have to destroy the place!

We need more David Loftuses (is that a proper plural?)

Sam Klein
Working toward Menschhood. Not doing a spectacular job of it, but nobody's perfect.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:07 am

Name: Frank Church
Yea, Michael Moore got about fifteen thousand healtcare horror stories before his last film. What Obama should say is "so, do you Americans love how your insurance companies decide who lives and who dies?"

Semi-cutie, I have to be bi-partison here. Healthcare is a complex issue, but Obama should do a better job at telling us the plain skinny.

We can cap on Bush but not Obama. Have to be fair. Politicians lie.

-----------------

Was listening to a Dick Gregory interview and he said something that made me think. He said that blues music is the "most evil" form of music ever written, because it denigrates black women. He said that black folk should listen to hillybilly music, because they never dog women. Usually, in a hillybilly song, they singer tells his woman, "I'm sorry," not "the bitch did me wrong."

I don't agree, but food for thought.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:07 am

Name: Frank Church
Yea, Michael Moore got about fifteen thousand healtcare horror stories before his last film. What Obama should say is "so, do you Americans love how your insurance companies decide who lives and who dies?"

Semi-cutie, I have to be bi-partison here. Healthcare is a complex issue, but Obama should do a better job at telling us the plain skinny.

We can cap on Bush but not Obama. Have to be fair. Politicians lie.

-----------------

Was listening to a Dick Gregory interview and he said something that made me think. He said that blues music is the "most evil" form of music ever written, because it denigrates black women. He said that black folk should listen to hillybilly music, because they never dog women. Usually, in a hillybilly song, they singer tells his woman, "I'm sorry," not "the bitch did me wrong."

I don't agree, but food for thought.

john zeock

A Moveable Feast

Postby john zeock » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:27 am

Name: john zeock
...is my favorite book so I wanted to look at the "Restored Version." It's an interesting experience. For those not following-Mary (wife 4) put the book together after Hemingway's suicide. It is not kind to Pauline (wife 2). The feeling was that Mary wished to stay on good terms with Hadley (wife 1) and so Mary selected chapters unfriendly to Pailine and deleted passages where Hemingway admitted that he was also to blame. The interesting experiece reminds me of the Beatles Anthology aalbums of 1995-1996 which presented unreleased material and alternate takes so right where you're expecting a song to end there's a guitar solo. Same here. I might have enjoyed it as much as the original if I wasn't so damn used to the original.(Beatles trivia question- John and Paul both wrote songs with the same one word title, neither for the Beatles. Hint-someone connected to one of the songs has died recently).

john zeock

A Moveable Feast

Postby john zeock » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:27 am

Name: john zeock
...is my favorite book so I wanted to look at the "Restored Version." It's an interesting experience. For those not following-Mary (wife 4) put the book together after Hemingway's suicide. It is not kind to Pauline (wife 2). The feeling was that Mary wished to stay on good terms with Hadley (wife 1) and so Mary selected chapters unfriendly to Pailine and deleted passages where Hemingway admitted that he was also to blame. The interesting experiece reminds me of the Beatles Anthology aalbums of 1995-1996 which presented unreleased material and alternate takes so right where you're expecting a song to end there's a guitar solo. Same here. I might have enjoyed it as much as the original if I wasn't so damn used to the original.(Beatles trivia question- John and Paul both wrote songs with the same one word title, neither for the Beatles. Hint-someone connected to one of the songs has died recently).

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

THANKYOU TO KIM OWEN SMITH

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:00 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
KOS: Received last week. I'm a bit tardy in thanking you; please excuse; it's been more than a bit of a bear, week past.

This has developed into (I hope) a mutually beneficial liaison.
I hate waste, and you have become a good and dear avenue of responsible behavior...for me.

Once more, my gratitude. Yr. Pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

THANKYOU TO KIM OWEN SMITH

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:00 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
KOS: Received last week. I'm a bit tardy in thanking you; please excuse; it's been more than a bit of a bear, week past.

This has developed into (I hope) a mutually beneficial liaison.
I hate waste, and you have become a good and dear avenue of responsible behavior...for me.

Once more, my gratitude. Yr. Pal, Harlan

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”