Pavilion Digest: July 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:28 pm

Name: Rob
Source: unca20091009.htm
I've been reading a lot recently about the Civil War.

As the North and the South ripped each other apart during the, Europe watched closely. Interestingly, for a number of reasons, particularly in trade, Europe favored the Southern secessionists in the conflict despite its disdain for slavery (British cartoonists, sympathetic to the Confederacy, ridiculed Lincoln at every opportunity, portraying him as an inept dork, until his assassination, when he suddenly became sainted) Because that side of the world was still controlled by the aristocracy, and the South was an aristocracy, it hoped the outcome would prove Democracy a failure. A broken Union would have been a big political gain for Europe.

To this day, as in the scenario we see with Republicans, the same human behavior plays itself out. Who cares about the huge number of victims as long as WE gain by it?

Consider THAT - the deliberate will to lie for their own gain - along with the sick twisted audacity of Republicans talking God n'Jesus no matter how many millions they reduce to street urchins! Talk about schadenfreude!

Adam-Troy

Heh

Postby Adam-Troy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:40 pm

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Source: unca20091007.htm
John Zeock - heh. My very next book project is zombies, the one after that may be vampires. (And I have another vampire idea percolating after that -- one that addresses your issues, though I'm not sure anything will come of it.) You have given me the incentive of becoming one of the stated exceptions. Just saying.

Adam-Troy

Heh

Postby Adam-Troy » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:40 pm

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
John Zeock - heh. My very next book project is zombies, the one after that may be vampires. (And I have another vampire idea percolating after that -- one that addresses your issues, though I'm not sure anything will come of it.) You have given me the incentive of becoming one of the stated exceptions. Just saying.

Johnny Tremain

Science Fiction Today.

Postby Johnny Tremain » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:55 pm

Name: Johnny Tremain
Lost Girls by Alan Moore is a typical product of the limousine left-liberal imagination, a shrill blend of feminism, lesbianism, and pedophilia, lacking all nuance and subtlety. One strongly suspects that Moore and whoever the untalented female John Wayne Gacy is who scrawled the pictures, are fans of Eve Ensler's loquacious cunt, or Whitley Streiber's gas-pump, gay-rape fantasies. Moore is just another toxic English import as it enter the last stages of its syphilis decadence...joining Richard Dawkins, JK (Half-Blood) Rowling, Phillip Pullman, and Clive Barker. The only ingredient missing from Lost Girls to complete the yummy liberal fruit-cake, is, a Tottenhot. To use the very politically incorrect L. Frank Baum's description...

PS
Im glad Watchmen flopped.

Johnny Tremain

Science Fiction Today.

Postby Johnny Tremain » Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:55 pm

Name: Johnny Tremain
Lost Girls by Alan Moore is a typical product of the limousine left-liberal imagination, a shrill blend of feminism, lesbianism, and pedophilia, lacking all nuance and subtlety. One strongly suspects that Moore and whoever the untalented female John Wayne Gacy is who scrawled the pictures, are fans of Eve Ensler's loquacious cunt, or Whitley Streiber's gas-pump, gay-rape fantasies. Moore is just another toxic English import as it enter the last stages of its syphilis decadence...joining Richard Dawkins, JK (Half-Blood) Rowling, Phillip Pullman, and Clive Barker. The only ingredient missing from Lost Girls to complete the yummy liberal fruit-cake, is, a Tottenhot. To use the very politically incorrect L. Frank Baum's description...

PS
Im glad Watchmen flopped.

john zeock

ATC

Postby john zeock » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:21 pm

Name: john zeock
I'm sure you will be-and I MEAN that.

john zeock

ATC

Postby john zeock » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:21 pm

Name: john zeock
I'm sure you will be-and I MEAN that.

DTS

J. Tremain's post

Postby DTS » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:23 pm

Name: DTS
J. TREMAIN: Thank GAWD you stable, always sexually straight, conservative purveyors of patriarchal mythology are around to set the world back on the um, straight and _narrow_. Now fix that comb-over hairdo, pick up your copy of MEN WHO ONLY HUG MEN IN A MANLY WAY (and other amusing stories), re-adjust your belt so your gut doesn't stick out so much and your button-down shirt won't reveal the man-titties, and head on back to your own cubicle, cause you know you've got a lot important work to do.

Cheers from OZ, to all the Webederlanders.
As for chunky Johnny T: stop taking the Wizard's name in vain.
-DTS

DTS

J. Tremain's post

Postby DTS » Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:23 pm

Name: DTS
J. TREMAIN: Thank GAWD you stable, always sexually straight, conservative purveyors of patriarchal mythology are around to set the world back on the um, straight and _narrow_. Now fix that comb-over hairdo, pick up your copy of MEN WHO ONLY HUG MEN IN A MANLY WAY (and other amusing stories), re-adjust your belt so your gut doesn't stick out so much and your button-down shirt won't reveal the man-titties, and head on back to your own cubicle, cause you know you've got a lot important work to do.

Cheers from OZ, to all the Webederlanders.
As for chunky Johnny T: stop taking the Wizard's name in vain.
-DTS

KOS

Swimming In America

Postby KOS » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:45 pm

Name: KOS
William Kristol is an egregious neoconservative, which is to say he is not a conservative at all. He;s a fool to boot, to have been so easily cornered verbally by Jon Stewart.

Serves the silly fucker right.

I come not to defend Dan Quayle, but I have a friend who worked with Quayle on space policy in the late eighties, and avers Quayle is actually pretty smart. Never trust the media to give you the truth.
R
Forget conservative/liberal/progressive. I tend to the first, as a philosophy, but I am practical.

Public forms of medical care have worked, to greater and lesser extents, in several places.

I favor a mixture of the French and Canadian plans. I have not looked into their details recently. IIRC, the French is a blend of public/private providers. The Canadian has the Federal government mandating publicly funded health insurance, provides the lions share of funding, but leaves details to the provinces.

I like the idea of many methods tried, providing good/bad examples for others.

The enemy of liberty is centralization. Ask Frank about that one, if you don't trust the Evil Conservative. Equality and liberty are also oft at loggerheads, but that is anther matter.

My ex-wife, a diabetic, had an incredibly difficult time with her first pregnancy. She was an invalid, more or less, for the latter five months of the term. We had Kaiser, and got superb care.

Jerry Pournelle has written that Kaiser saved his life, when he could easily have been sent home to die.

That doesn't mean other people cannot have had bad experiences with Kaiser. Just data points.

Europe in the American Civil War was split between South supporting ruling classes, largely a bad lot, and the North supporting professional/middle classes. with the workers.

In classical rhetoric, the most important is mentioned last.

The South would have had massive European aid, mostly French, with an assist from the Royal Navy. It was the efforts of British workers, and an assist from an aristocrat: Prince Philip, Prince Consort of Queen Victoria.

In 1862, the ctucial year of the war, an American warship snatched two Southern diplomats off a British steamer in international waters.

The ship was the "Trent". The "Trent Affair" nearly caused war between the USA and UK.

Prince Philip personally mediated the crisis, and cooled down the hot heads in Britain. Failing this, Britain would have given a "green light" to imperial France. They would have sent an army to help the South. When the British did not allow this, they invaded Mexico instead, getting a big can of whoop ass from Benito Juarez.

British cotton mill workers were the unsung heroes of the American Civil War. They supported the North and abolition even though the war cut off cotton supplies, closed the British mllls and put them on the streets. Without their opposition Britain and France would have helped the South, Game over.

Frank is right. Most Americans are ignorant. But what do you expect, if you have to work three jobs to pay for a McMansion with unlimited cable and a hot tub? Our weapons of Mass Distraction are legendary.

KOS

KOS

Swimming In America

Postby KOS » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:45 pm

William Kristol is an egregious neoconservative, which is to say he is not a conservative at all. He;s a fool to boot, to have been so easily cornered verbally by Jon Stewart.

Serves the silly fucker right.

I come not to defend Dan Quayle, but I have a friend who worked with Quayle on space policy in the late eighties, and avers Quayle is actually pretty smart. Never trust the media to give you the truth.
R
Forget conservative/liberal/progressive. I tend to the first, as a philosophy, but I am practical.

Public forms of medical care have worked, to greater and lesser extents, in several places.

I favor a mixture of the French and Canadian plans. I have not looked into their details recently. IIRC, the French is a blend of public/private providers. The Canadian has the Federal government mandating publicly funded health insurance, provides the lions share of funding, but leaves details to the provinces.

I like the idea of many methods tried, providing good/bad examples for others.

The enemy of liberty is centralization. Ask Frank about that one, if you don't trust the Evil Conservative. Equality and liberty are also oft at loggerheads, but that is anther matter.

My ex-wife, a diabetic, had an incredibly difficult time with her first pregnancy. She was an invalid, more or less, for the latter five months of the term. We had Kaiser, and got superb care.

Jerry Pournelle has written that Kaiser saved his life, when he could easily have been sent home to die.

That doesn't mean other people cannot have had bad experiences with Kaiser. Just data points.

Europe in the American Civil War was split between South supporting ruling classes, largely a bad lot, and the North supporting professional/middle classes. with the workers.

In classical rhetoric, the most important is mentioned last.

The South would have had massive European aid, mostly French, with an assist from the Royal Navy. It was the efforts of British workers, and an assist from an aristocrat: Prince Philip, Prince Consort of Queen Victoria.

In 1862, the ctucial year of the war, an American warship snatched two Southern diplomats off a British steamer in international waters.

The ship was the "Trent". The "Trent Affair" nearly caused war between the USA and UK.

Prince Philip personally mediated the crisis, and cooled down the hot heads in Britain. Failing this, Britain would have given a "green light" to imperial France. They would have sent an army to help the South. When the British did not allow this, they invaded Mexico instead, getting a big can of whoop ass from Benito Juarez.

British cotton mill workers were the unsung heroes of the American Civil War. They supported the North and abolition even though the war cut off cotton supplies, closed the British mllls and put them on the streets. Without their opposition Britain and France would have helped the South, Game over.

Frank is right. Most Americans are ignorant. But what do you expect, if you have to work three jobs to pay for a McMansion with unlimited cable and a hot tub? Our weapons of Mass Distraction are legendary.

KOS

KOS

Sted

Postby KOS » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:54 pm

"But for the efforts of British workers..."

KOS

Sted

Postby KOS » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:54 pm