Pavilion Digest: July 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

TimCase

Re: Health Care

Postby TimCase » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:01 am

Name: Tim Case Walker
Source: unca20091007.htm
A-TC: Fantastic post. Thank you, sir. I couldn't agree more.

TimCase

Re: Health Care

Postby TimCase » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:01 am

Name: Tim Case Walker
Source: unca20091009.htm
A-TC: Fantastic post. Thank you, sir. I couldn't agree more.

Laurie

Thank you A-TC

Postby Laurie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:30 am

Name: Laurie
for a great post. I agree 100%.

I have Kaiser insurance, as does a close friend of mine. Recently, we were discussing Kaiser and I was telling her about how it took me 3 months to get an exemption for a prescription that I needed. I had been treated to a lot of deliberate, ugly bureaucratic stall tactics. I wondered aloud if this experience at Kaiser had anything to do with my gender and/or my semi-advanced age. My friend said, "They aren't prejudiced against old people at Kaiser. They aren't prejudiced against women at Kaiser. What they don't like at Kaiser is...SICK PEOPLE."

She's right.

I do not believe that a government bureaucracy would be any worse than what I have experienced at Kaiser over the years.

Laurie

Thank you A-TC

Postby Laurie » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:30 am

Name: Laurie
for a great post. I agree 100%.

I have Kaiser insurance, as does a close friend of mine. Recently, we were discussing Kaiser and I was telling her about how it took me 3 months to get an exemption for a prescription that I needed. I had been treated to a lot of deliberate, ugly bureaucratic stall tactics. I wondered aloud if this experience at Kaiser had anything to do with my gender and/or my semi-advanced age. My friend said, "They aren't prejudiced against old people at Kaiser. They aren't prejudiced against women at Kaiser. What they don't like at Kaiser is...SICK PEOPLE."

She's right.

I do not believe that a government bureaucracy would be any worse than what I have experienced at Kaiser over the years.

Zack Malatesta

Postby Zack Malatesta » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:10 pm

Name: Zack Malatesta
The all-American insurance/healthcare system destroyed my parents, made me and my orphans.

No change is quick enough.

Zack Malatesta

Postby Zack Malatesta » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:10 pm

Name: Zack Malatesta
The all-American insurance/healthcare system destroyed my parents, made me and my orphans.

No change is quick enough.

john zeock

Vampires

Postby john zeock » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:26 pm

Name: john zeock
I just got the latest issue of EW with Vampires on the cover. I,for one, am all vampire-ed the fuck up. If Harlan or Wolfe or Simmons or King write a vampire story I'm interested because of who they are. (and to be honest, Being Human, looks interesting ) But otherwise the concept has never made sense to me- predators making other predators and a diminishing source of food ? If vampires are a natural phenomenon and just TELL people helping them will make them a vampire also then that makes sense. Vampires as a supernatural concept make more sense- a new story of Job with God and the Devil playing their cards-the Devil wanting a vampire world, all damned with no one else left to kill. Or Joss Whedon's demons tossing out the soul and leaving the body to the demon. ( I do have my Kneale-ish idea where vampires refer to descendants of the dinosurs who live beneath the earth .) One nice thing about vampires ? They AIN'T zombies...

john zeock

Vampires

Postby john zeock » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:26 pm

Name: john zeock
I just got the latest issue of EW with Vampires on the cover. I,for one, am all vampire-ed the fuck up. If Harlan or Wolfe or Simmons or King write a vampire story I'm interested because of who they are. (and to be honest, Being Human, looks interesting ) But otherwise the concept has never made sense to me- predators making other predators and a diminishing source of food ? If vampires are a natural phenomenon and just TELL people helping them will make them a vampire also then that makes sense. Vampires as a supernatural concept make more sense- a new story of Job with God and the Devil playing their cards-the Devil wanting a vampire world, all damned with no one else left to kill. Or Joss Whedon's demons tossing out the soul and leaving the body to the demon. ( I do have my Kneale-ish idea where vampires refer to descendants of the dinosurs who live beneath the earth .) One nice thing about vampires ? They AIN'T zombies...

Darryl

Re: Health Care -- Don't forget another of the issues

Postby Darryl » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:19 pm

Name: Darryl
COST. This year's increase in health premiums (paid for by my employer and me) is 12%. Last year's increase was about 10%. All the while the company is decreasing coverage, and increasing copays. As the president said, if you want a system that's guaranteed to double your costs and decrease your coverage over the next 10 years -- substantially fewer than 10 years if the last few are any indication -- let's just stay with the status quo.

My favorite health care anecdote, a man commented to a congressperson in South Carolina, "keep your government hands off my Medicare." Jeez.

Darryl

Re: Health Care -- Don't forget another of the issues

Postby Darryl » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:19 pm

Name: Darryl
COST. This year's increase in health premiums (paid for by my employer and me) is 12%. Last year's increase was about 10%. All the while the company is decreasing coverage, and increasing copays. As the president said, if you want a system that's guaranteed to double your costs and decrease your coverage over the next 10 years -- substantially fewer than 10 years if the last few are any indication -- let's just stay with the status quo.

My favorite health care anecdote, a man commented to a congressperson in South Carolina, "keep your government hands off my Medicare." Jeez.

Semi-Writer

Blame Obama?

Postby Semi-Writer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:54 pm

Name: Semi-Writer
Blame Obama? Frank, is the heat getting to you?

If we blame Obama, then we have to blame every other senator in this country who, for the years of their terms in office, did not address the health care issue on their levels, too. Blame the senators. Blame the governors. Hey, let's blame ourselves for not taking to the streets in protest over the unfair practices! ALL of the aforementioned parties have done a poor job of explaining--what is needed in health care has never been fully laid-out on the table, because everyone up and down the line pulls punches out of fears that what they want/need might not all get addressed at ALL.

The insurance companies have proven that point--raise one protest against any of their policies and BAM! They drop you like a lukewarm (not even a hot) rock. And that's the big fear about getting aggressive on the national health care issue.

The debate over the health care situation in this country, the screwing-over by the insurance companies... this has ALL been going on for DECADES. Some might say for an entire century.

Obama might be the Prez, but he CAN'T change the world with a snap of his fingers, no matter what anyone says or wants. Sure, we all WANT the recession to be over. We all WANT equal rights and equal treatment. But we are NOT gonna freakin' get it! The best we can hope for is that, in another three and a half years, we'll have slightly changed things for the better all-around. Slightly. Slowly. Same with health care.

Semi-Writer

Blame Obama?

Postby Semi-Writer » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:54 pm

Name: Semi-Writer
Blame Obama? Frank, is the heat getting to you?

If we blame Obama, then we have to blame every other senator in this country who, for the years of their terms in office, did not address the health care issue on their levels, too. Blame the senators. Blame the governors. Hey, let's blame ourselves for not taking to the streets in protest over the unfair practices! ALL of the aforementioned parties have done a poor job of explaining--what is needed in health care has never been fully laid-out on the table, because everyone up and down the line pulls punches out of fears that what they want/need might not all get addressed at ALL.

The insurance companies have proven that point--raise one protest against any of their policies and BAM! They drop you like a lukewarm (not even a hot) rock. And that's the big fear about getting aggressive on the national health care issue.

The debate over the health care situation in this country, the screwing-over by the insurance companies... this has ALL been going on for DECADES. Some might say for an entire century.

Obama might be the Prez, but he CAN'T change the world with a snap of his fingers, no matter what anyone says or wants. Sure, we all WANT the recession to be over. We all WANT equal rights and equal treatment. But we are NOT gonna freakin' get it! The best we can hope for is that, in another three and a half years, we'll have slightly changed things for the better all-around. Slightly. Slowly. Same with health care.

tardis59

Postby tardis59 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:55 pm

Name: David Ray
Mary, hang in there in re to your job search. I've been out of work since mid-March and I'm doing my best to stay positive.

I would like to thank those who recommended the movie Moon. Went to a matinee ($8 ?!?) today and thoroughly enjoyed the film. An intelligent sc-fi movie - what a concept!

Harlan, thanks for the recommendation for Wednesday Comics. I picked up #'s 1-4 at the local comic shop I frequent.

David

tardis59

Postby tardis59 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:55 pm

Name: David Ray
Mary, hang in there in re to your job search. I've been out of work since mid-March and I'm doing my best to stay positive.

I would like to thank those who recommended the movie Moon. Went to a matinee ($8 ?!?) today and thoroughly enjoyed the film. An intelligent sc-fi movie - what a concept!

Harlan, thanks for the recommendation for Wednesday Comics. I picked up #'s 1-4 at the local comic shop I frequent.

David

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:28 pm

Name: Rob
I've been reading a lot recently about the Civil War.

As the North and the South ripped each other apart during the, Europe watched closely. Interestingly, for a number of reasons, particularly in trade, Europe favored the Southern secessionists in the conflict despite its disdain for slavery (British cartoonists, sympathetic to the Confederacy, ridiculed Lincoln at every opportunity, portraying him as an inept dork, until his assassination, when he suddenly became sainted) Because that side of the world was still controlled by the aristocracy, and the South was an aristocracy, it hoped the outcome would prove Democracy a failure. A broken Union would have been a big political gain for Europe.

To this day, as in the scenario we see with Republicans, the same human behavior plays itself out. Who cares about the huge number of victims as long as WE gain by it?

Consider THAT - the deliberate will to lie for their own gain - along with the sick twisted audacity of Republicans talking God n'Jesus no matter how many millions they reduce to street urchins! Talk about schadenfreude!

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”