Pavilion Digest: July 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

James Van Hise

THE FAKE REALMS OF FANTASY

Postby James Van Hise » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:58 pm

Name: James Van Hise
Source: unca20091007.htm
Found the website in question. It's poorly designed and hard to find earlier posts, but after finally backtracking and reading it turns out to have started as a chiding complaint about the magazine featuring scantily clad fantasy females on covers but never scantily clad males. The parody cover she concocts makes its point but then she festoons it with the names of famous writers which she makes fun of and thereby turns the parody in a completely different direction. Ultimately the parody cover comes across as an excuse to take pokes at famous writers (Harlan Ellison and Neil Gaiman) for no particular reason. So the misunderstandings were generated entirely by her. Maybe she'll claim she misquoted herself, but she can't entirely claim that others misrepresented her intent.

James Van Hise

THE FAKE REALMS OF FANTASY

Postby James Van Hise » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:58 pm

Name: James Van Hise
Source: unca20091009.htm
Found the website in question. It's poorly designed and hard to find earlier posts, but after finally backtracking and reading it turns out to have started as a chiding complaint about the magazine featuring scantily clad fantasy females on covers but never scantily clad males. The parody cover she concocts makes its point but then she festoons it with the names of famous writers which she makes fun of and thereby turns the parody in a completely different direction. Ultimately the parody cover comes across as an excuse to take pokes at famous writers (Harlan Ellison and Neil Gaiman) for no particular reason. So the misunderstandings were generated entirely by her. Maybe she'll claim she misquoted herself, but she can't entirely claim that others misrepresented her intent.

Adam-Troy

Saying

Postby Adam-Troy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:15 pm

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Harlan: you are a mensch. That could not have been easy.

Adding: to the extent that my own comments may have been based on trusting mischaracterization of the issue, and added to the noise level, I regret my involvement.

Adam-Troy

Saying

Postby Adam-Troy » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:15 pm

Harlan: you are a mensch. That could not have been easy.

Adding: to the extent that my own comments may have been based on trusting mischaracterization of the issue, and added to the noise level, I regret my involvement.

john zeock

Children Of Earth

Postby john zeock » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:17 pm

Name: john zeock
Dear ATC- I am a fan of Russell T Davies (read his DR WHO book A Writer's Tale ); a fan of Torchwood and a fan of the recent series BUT if Nigel Kneale was alive he would hand over a copy of ITV's 1979 QUATERMASS and ask that the BBC would place the following at the end of episode 5 : "the producers would like to acknowledge the work Of Nigel Kneale." And on another matter, what Variety reviewer referred to COE as "popcorn television?" Oh, it's SF so it's camp ? Matter #3, from the BBC Dr Who site : the new companion's name is Amy Pond and the new Dr's outfit is...George Will-ish.

john zeock

Children Of Earth

Postby john zeock » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:17 pm

Name: john zeock
Dear ATC- I am a fan of Russell T Davies (read his DR WHO book A Writer's Tale ); a fan of Torchwood and a fan of the recent series BUT if Nigel Kneale was alive he would hand over a copy of ITV's 1979 QUATERMASS and ask that the BBC would place the following at the end of episode 5 : "the producers would like to acknowledge the work Of Nigel Kneale." And on another matter, what Variety reviewer referred to COE as "popcorn television?" Oh, it's SF so it's camp ? Matter #3, from the BBC Dr Who site : the new companion's name is Amy Pond and the new Dr's outfit is...George Will-ish.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:35 pm

Name: Rachel
@James Van Hise, she didn't make the parody, as is clear by the way she actually links, below the image, to the comment by the person who did make it. Repeating the incorrect claim that she created it kind of makes me think that the misunderstandings were not, in fact, "all created by her," not by any stretch.

Rachel

Postby Rachel » Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:35 pm

Name: Rachel
@James Van Hise, she didn't make the parody, as is clear by the way she actually links, below the image, to the comment by the person who did make it. Repeating the incorrect claim that she created it kind of makes me think that the misunderstandings were not, in fact, "all created by her," not by any stretch.

Robert Morales

Correction re: Tempest Bradford

Postby Robert Morales » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:13 pm

Name: Robert Morales
Just had an email exchange with Ms Bradford wherein she denied ever deleting any of her posts, and she realized, after I described it, that what I meant was this:

http://tempest.fluidartist.com/a-scenario-for-you/

It's from June of last year. But if you go to her page and type "Harlan" into the search engine, it's the entry just below the Realms of Fantasy one mentioning him, and the date isn't exactly easy to make out. So there you go.

Robert Morales

Correction re: Tempest Bradford

Postby Robert Morales » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:13 pm

Name: Robert Morales
Just had an email exchange with Ms Bradford wherein she denied ever deleting any of her posts, and she realized, after I described it, that what I meant was this:

http://tempest.fluidartist.com/a-scenario-for-you/

It's from June of last year. But if you go to her page and type "Harlan" into the search engine, it's the entry just below the Realms of Fantasy one mentioning him, and the date isn't exactly easy to make out. So there you go.

maggiehoyal

Postby maggiehoyal » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:51 pm

Name: maggie hoyal
It is a good day to remember that first well thumbed Harlan Ellison book I picked up in a used book store many years ago and why I continue to read and re-read his work. maggie

maggiehoyal

Postby maggiehoyal » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:51 pm

Name: maggie hoyal
It is a good day to remember that first well thumbed Harlan Ellison book I picked up in a used book store many years ago and why I continue to read and re-read his work. maggie

rich

An End to It

Postby rich » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:59 am

Name: rich
Tempest has another post in which she accepts Ellison's apology. I doubt she'll accept the dinner invite, but she's proven herself a lot classier than Ellison these last couple of days.

For those with Ellison-colored glasses (I'm looking at you, Coil, and they really don't look good on you) stay away from the comments section.

http://tempest.fluidartist.com/in-which ... pologizes/

rich

An End to It

Postby rich » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:59 am

Name: rich
Tempest has another post in which she accepts Ellison's apology. I doubt she'll accept the dinner invite, but she's proven herself a lot classier than Ellison these last couple of days.

For those with Ellison-colored glasses (I'm looking at you, Coil, and they really don't look good on you) stay away from the comments section.

http://tempest.fluidartist.com/in-which ... pologizes/

Adam-Troy

John Zeock --

Postby Adam-Troy » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:01 am

I have a copy of the 1979 QUATERMASS with John Mills on my shelf. Reviewed it for scifiweekly, and remember it well. There are some resonances and similarities. But I don't see TORCHWOOD: CHILDREN OF EARTH guilty of more than cosmetic similarities. Ending and all, they are quite different.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”