Pavilion Digest: July 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

William Sherman

From Spamalot to Tranquility Base

Postby William Sherman » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:17 am

Name: William Sherman
Source: unca20091009.htm
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

@Mr. Ellison: Saw "Spamalot" during its Boston run in January, 2008. Abdomen still hurts when I think of it. (Hope Tim Curry stars in the L.A. production. Missed him here.)

Began reading THE GLASS TEAT in parallel with NIXONLAND, by Rick Perlstein. How so little changes in forty years. Except for ......

T-plus forty years since the first lunar landing. When at MIT in the early 1980's as an undergrad, I met some of the engineers who helped design the guidance systems for both the LEM and the command module for the Apollo program. Still blows the mind that the U.S. pulled it off, though I was but a lad of four.

We approached things differently back then, I guess.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:46 am

Name: Ezra
Source: unca20091007.htm
A terrific movie opened this weekend in DC and it didn't involve wizards.

MOON directed by Duncan Jones and starring Sam Rockwell. A dash of 2001, a scintilla of SILENT RUNNING, even a soupcon of SOLARIS but mostly a virtuoso performance by Sam Rockwell. And considering the budget was considerably lower than the wizard movie it looks pretty killer too.

Wow an honest to god SF movie. I'd forgotten what it's like! Here's the trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhIB0mqbPiE

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:46 am

Name: Ezra
A terrific movie opened this weekend in DC and it didn't involve wizards.

MOON directed by Duncan Jones and starring Sam Rockwell. A dash of 2001, a scintilla of SILENT RUNNING, even a soupcon of SOLARIS but mostly a virtuoso performance by Sam Rockwell. And considering the budget was considerably lower than the wizard movie it looks pretty killer too.

Wow an honest to god SF movie. I'd forgotten what it's like! Here's the trailer...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhIB0mqbPiE

Clipping Service

"Kaymus" Actress Found! We think!!!

Postby Clipping Service » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:52 am

Name: Clipping Service
Inspired by Harlan's "Pizza with Neil" story in DREAMS WITH SHARP TEETH, about the bad actress, playing a reporter, who could not pronounce "Camus", a search for the name "Babe Unger" (watch "Dreams" DVD extra, you'll know of whom I speak), led me to RIPCORD, Harlan's Season 2, Episode 36, "Where Elephants Go To Die", and the filmography of the "News Reporter" who appeared therein, assuming, of course, there is not ANOTHER uncredited speaking reporter part.....

Lynn Cartwright, R.I.P.

We hardly knew ye.

More on Lynn's Body Of Work:

http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0142187/

Clipping Service

"Kaymus" Actress Found! We think!!!

Postby Clipping Service » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:52 am

Name: Clipping Service
Inspired by Harlan's "Pizza with Neil" story in DREAMS WITH SHARP TEETH, about the bad actress, playing a reporter, who could not pronounce "Camus", a search for the name "Babe Unger" (watch "Dreams" DVD extra, you'll know of whom I speak), led me to RIPCORD, Harlan's Season 2, Episode 36, "Where Elephants Go To Die", and the filmography of the "News Reporter" who appeared therein, assuming, of course, there is not ANOTHER uncredited speaking reporter part.....

Lynn Cartwright, R.I.P.

We hardly knew ye.

More on Lynn's Body Of Work:

http://uk.imdb.com/name/nm0142187/

Ryan Leasher

Postby Ryan Leasher » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:30 am

Name: Ryan Leasher
MOON is phenomenal. Just saw it this weekend as part of the ongoing New Zealand Film Festival. It's truly excellent.

I'd also highly recommend AN EDUCATION, which is even better than MOON. I think it's getting a US release soon. Carey Mulligan's performance is brilliant. Hell, pretty much all the performances are brilliant. Had a blast watching Alfred Molina play the father.

I hope Sony Pictures Classics releases the soundtrack. There are some great tracks but the soundtrack isn't abused as a blunt tool to remind audiences that they're watching a period film.

--
Ryan

Ryan Leasher

Postby Ryan Leasher » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:30 am

Name: Ryan Leasher
MOON is phenomenal. Just saw it this weekend as part of the ongoing New Zealand Film Festival. It's truly excellent.

I'd also highly recommend AN EDUCATION, which is even better than MOON. I think it's getting a US release soon. Carey Mulligan's performance is brilliant. Hell, pretty much all the performances are brilliant. Had a blast watching Alfred Molina play the father.

I hope Sony Pictures Classics releases the soundtrack. There are some great tracks but the soundtrack isn't abused as a blunt tool to remind audiences that they're watching a period film.

--
Ryan

Richard Cohen

Gilford; Anthony Lawrence; Belmont; Revisionists About

Postby Richard Cohen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:48 am

Name: Richard Cohen
----- Genuinely sorry to rile and sicken you, Harlan; there's really no way to bring up the blacklist without levitating the gorge. Your answer (apart from decorations) was what you'd already told us, except for the "tv bits" phrase -- then I guess it would be the prominence of the part that, in those weevil-ridden network minds made the (fancied) difference.

Onward,

----- For fans of TV-writin':
There's an interview with and background piece on Anthony Lawrence at
http://www.classictvhistory.com/OralHis ... rence.html

Lawrence, you guys'll recall, wrote the teleplay for the completely wonderful Outer Limits episode "The Man Who Was Never Born" (and the entirely wretched OL ep "The Children of Spider County"), a number of distinguished Hawaii Five-O entries (To Kill or Be Killed, Three Dead Cows at Makapuu, etc) and much other stuff.
Doubtless you know he worked with Harlan, too, and said of him, while skeptically appraising the prospects for the "Logan's Run" TV series, that it was not enough to be a mere
craftsman if you were to work successfully with Harlan Elllison, you had to be a creator.

----- Iain,
My American copy -- 95 cents -- also has the true cigarette insert, so there.

----- Dennis C,
Aha, so it's not just the Miami Herald TV reviewer who has the revisionist 'shucks-the-blacklist-wans't-so-bad' attitude.

Richard

Richard Cohen

Gilford; Anthony Lawrence; Belmont; Revisionists About

Postby Richard Cohen » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:48 am

Name: Richard Cohen
----- Genuinely sorry to rile and sicken you, Harlan; there's really no way to bring up the blacklist without levitating the gorge. Your answer (apart from decorations) was what you'd already told us, except for the "tv bits" phrase -- then I guess it would be the prominence of the part that, in those weevil-ridden network minds made the (fancied) difference.

Onward,

----- For fans of TV-writin':
There's an interview with and background piece on Anthony Lawrence at
http://www.classictvhistory.com/OralHis ... rence.html

Lawrence, you guys'll recall, wrote the teleplay for the completely wonderful Outer Limits episode "The Man Who Was Never Born" (and the entirely wretched OL ep "The Children of Spider County"), a number of distinguished Hawaii Five-O entries (To Kill or Be Killed, Three Dead Cows at Makapuu, etc) and much other stuff.
Doubtless you know he worked with Harlan, too, and said of him, while skeptically appraising the prospects for the "Logan's Run" TV series, that it was not enough to be a mere
craftsman if you were to work successfully with Harlan Elllison, you had to be a creator.

----- Iain,
My American copy -- 95 cents -- also has the true cigarette insert, so there.

----- Dennis C,
Aha, so it's not just the Miami Herald TV reviewer who has the revisionist 'shucks-the-blacklist-wans't-so-bad' attitude.

Richard

john zeock

Anthony Lawrence

Postby john zeock » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:30 am

Name: john zeock
The Man Who Was Never Born was a wonderful script and I still remember the image of Shirley Knight just fading back into the darkness. I was 9 or 10 and it made a huge impression, even then, as to what you could do with a story. Once I realized that someone actually wrote wjat came up on a tv screen Lawrence was a name I checked out as someone whose work, even when not at it's best, would at least be interesting. ( I remember a Bonanza, with a gypsy girl who thinks she's been cursed, and a Naked City, that mostly takes place in an improv acting class.) And, of course, James Cameron REALLY liked The Man Who Was Never Born...

john zeock

Anthony Lawrence

Postby john zeock » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:30 am

Name: john zeock
The Man Who Was Never Born was a wonderful script and I still remember the image of Shirley Knight just fading back into the darkness. I was 9 or 10 and it made a huge impression, even then, as to what you could do with a story. Once I realized that someone actually wrote wjat came up on a tv screen Lawrence was a name I checked out as someone whose work, even when not at it's best, would at least be interesting. ( I remember a Bonanza, with a gypsy girl who thinks she's been cursed, and a Naked City, that mostly takes place in an improv acting class.) And, of course, James Cameron REALLY liked The Man Who Was Never Born...

reddragon70

From The Land of Fear

Postby reddragon70 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:07 am

Name: Iain Aitken
Hi Harlan,

I am not too bothered about you buying this book in anyway way. I picked it up for pennies I am sure, so it would be rediculous to ask you to pay anything for it. All I need to know is how to get it to you? If you wish you can email with instructions and I will post it off as soon as possible.

I am, of course, glad to be of some service.

All the best

Iain

reddragon70

From The Land of Fear

Postby reddragon70 » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:07 am

Name: Iain Aitken
Hi Harlan,

I am not too bothered about you buying this book in anyway way. I picked it up for pennies I am sure, so it would be rediculous to ask you to pay anything for it. All I need to know is how to get it to you? If you wish you can email with instructions and I will post it off as soon as possible.

I am, of course, glad to be of some service.

All the best

Iain

Le

Kos -Thanks! / Quote for the Day

Postby Le » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:08 am

Name: Le
Kos -

You are right as to the correct timeline of that "bloodbath" comment. My faulty memory over the years had conflated that quote with the Kent State shootings. Mea maxima culpa.

My best friend's brother once had T-shirt from that time. It had a bullseye on it and underneath read, "STUDENT."

Le

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Do you want to go to the moon, Alice!? To the moon?" - Jackie Gleason, The Honeymooners

Le

Kos -Thanks! / Quote for the Day

Postby Le » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:08 am

Name: Le
Kos -

You are right as to the correct timeline of that "bloodbath" comment. My faulty memory over the years had conflated that quote with the Kent State shootings. Mea maxima culpa.

My best friend's brother once had T-shirt from that time. It had a bullseye on it and underneath read, "STUDENT."

Le

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Do you want to go to the moon, Alice!? To the moon?" - Jackie Gleason, The Honeymooners

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”