Pavilion Digest: July 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

AN INTERESTING NOTE ABOUT THE PYRAMID BOOKS

Postby Harlan Ellison » Sun Jul 19, 2009 1:51 am

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Source: unca20091009.htm
Cover art and designs, including logos, by my long-time friends, multiple Caldecott winners, and classiest artist I know personally and love, Leo & Diane Dillon, contain two elements that are 1) hidden and must be found; and 2) are only semi-hidden but become cool when noted:

1) Hidden in the cover art of all but one title, is a portrait of me.

2) Look at my name. The series number of the volume is there, so you can keep them in order.

I just LOVED that series.

Yr. Pal, Harlan (who couldn't fall asleep somehow, tonight)

William Sherman

Bestriding the Narrow World

Postby William Sherman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:21 am

Name: William Sherman
Source: unca20091007.htm
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

@Mr. Ellison: glad to read that all went well, sir. Enjoy "Spamalot". "The brains may never fall 'til after sundown......."

@Rick Keeney: www.boston.com displayed an excellent critical essay on Larry Tye's book on Paige a week or two ago. Highly recommend. Tye used to write for the Boston Globe Sports Dept., so knows his stuff.

As to casting a movie based on the life of, or on an anecdote of, our dear host's life, I feel, for the right reasons, that some movies ought never to see light on celluloid. Such would be true in this case. Should some "knuckle-dragging swill" of a producer, with an agenda, insist upon it, however, I see playing Mr. Ellison none other than Joe Pesci; Mrs. Ellison, by Rachel Weisz, based on her performance in "The Constant Gardener". The former possesses the fire; the latter, alternating cool and fire. Only in my mind's eye, I hope. (Oh, for the target of Mr. E.'s "gopher mailing", Dabney Coleman.)

Ah, the "Sunday Boston Globe" has arrived, the coffee maker beckons with its caffeine-laden nectar, and yesterday's high heat and humidity have dissipated. Hope Sunday for all of you passes as serenely.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

William Sherman

Bestriding the Narrow World

Postby William Sherman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:21 am

Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

@Mr. Ellison: glad to read that all went well, sir. Enjoy "Spamalot". "The brains may never fall 'til after sundown......."

@Rick Keeney: www.boston.com displayed an excellent critical essay on Larry Tye's book on Paige a week or two ago. Highly recommend. Tye used to write for the Boston Globe Sports Dept., so knows his stuff.

As to casting a movie based on the life of, or on an anecdote of, our dear host's life, I feel, for the right reasons, that some movies ought never to see light on celluloid. Such would be true in this case. Should some "knuckle-dragging swill" of a producer, with an agenda, insist upon it, however, I see playing Mr. Ellison none other than Joe Pesci; Mrs. Ellison, by Rachel Weisz, based on her performance in "The Constant Gardener". The former possesses the fire; the latter, alternating cool and fire. Only in my mind's eye, I hope. (Oh, for the target of Mr. E.'s "gopher mailing", Dabney Coleman.)

Ah, the "Sunday Boston Globe" has arrived, the coffee maker beckons with its caffeine-laden nectar, and yesterday's high heat and humidity have dissipated. Hope Sunday for all of you passes as serenely.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

Semi-Writer

Harlan...

Postby Semi-Writer » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:21 am

Name: Semi-Writer
Hope you enjoyed your break from the computer world. Wish that I had the willpower to leave the laptop alone for even one day.
We luvs ya, already... now go to sleep.

Semi-Writer

Harlan...

Postby Semi-Writer » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:21 am

Name: Semi-Writer
Hope you enjoyed your break from the computer world. Wish that I had the willpower to leave the laptop alone for even one day.
We luvs ya, already... now go to sleep.

William Sherman

Found Pyramids

Postby William Sherman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:23 am

Dear Mr. Ellison (directly):

Sorry for the double post. I'll be succinct.

Bought the Pyramid Books copy of THE GLASS TEAT at Readercon last week. Can confirm both observations.

Ave atque vale.

William Sherman

Found Pyramids

Postby William Sherman » Sun Jul 19, 2009 2:23 am

Dear Mr. Ellison (directly):

Sorry for the double post. I'll be succinct.

Bought the Pyramid Books copy of THE GLASS TEAT at Readercon last week. Can confirm both observations.

Ave atque vale.

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:28 am

Name: Jan
Harlan, file under She's a Cute Thing but I Cannot Leave Her Mother (taken from Karl Edward Wagner XVII 1989).

Ni!!..Ni!..Ni!!..Ni!..Nnnni!

Jan

Postby Jan » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:28 am

Name: Jan
Harlan, file under She's a Cute Thing but I Cannot Leave Her Mother (taken from Karl Edward Wagner XVII 1989).

Ni!!..Ni!..Ni!!..Ni!..Nnnni!

DTS

Serling and Ellison

Postby DTS » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:30 am

Name: DTS
ALL: Probably Johnny-come-lately in my discovery of this, but after watching a bunch of old "Twilight Zone" epidsodes on DVD, and a documentary on Serling as well, it's remarkable how many similarities there were between Rod Serling and Harlan Ellison. The fascination with the past in their writings -- watching "Walking Distance" and the adaptation of "One Life, Furnished in Early Poverty" back to back is interesting -- both men were around 5'5" yet served in the toughest outfits in the US Army, and both men felt stymied in their attempts to realize some success in the area of screenwriting while achieving more than their share of success in television, winning awards for mulitiple teleplays.

-DTS

DTS

Serling and Ellison

Postby DTS » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:30 am

ALL: Probably Johnny-come-lately in my discovery of this, but after watching a bunch of old "Twilight Zone" epidsodes on DVD, and a documentary on Serling as well, it's remarkable how many similarities there were between Rod Serling and Harlan Ellison. The fascination with the past in their writings -- watching "Walking Distance" and the adaptation of "One Life, Furnished in Early Poverty" back to back is interesting -- both men were around 5'5" yet served in the toughest outfits in the US Army, and both men felt stymied in their attempts to realize some success in the area of screenwriting while achieving more than their share of success in television, winning awards for mulitiple teleplays.

-DTS

DTS

Spamalot

Postby DTS » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:40 am

HARLAN: Didn't mean to write about you as if you'd moved on with Serling. Regarding "Spamalot": saw it on Broadway in the summer of 2006, with my kiddo, Anya, during a mini-hegira to the East coast. It was hilarious! (I also won major dad points on that trip, when my buddy John let us backstage before a Radio City Music Hall reading featuring himself and Stephen King and JK Rowling -- and just to make things _really_ memorable, before that second night of readings commenced, when I was hurrying to say hello to John's assitant in person, I managed to step on the toes of Salman Rushdie as I tried to squeeze past people already seated and awaiting the show).

Hope you and Susan enjoy the show.
Cheers,
DTS

DTS

Spamalot

Postby DTS » Sun Jul 19, 2009 4:40 am

HARLAN: Didn't mean to write about you as if you'd moved on with Serling. Regarding "Spamalot": saw it on Broadway in the summer of 2006, with my kiddo, Anya, during a mini-hegira to the East coast. It was hilarious! (I also won major dad points on that trip, when my buddy John let us backstage before a Radio City Music Hall reading featuring himself and Stephen King and JK Rowling -- and just to make things _really_ memorable, before that second night of readings commenced, when I was hurrying to say hello to John's assitant in person, I managed to step on the toes of Salman Rushdie as I tried to squeeze past people already seated and awaiting the show).

Hope you and Susan enjoy the show.
Cheers,
DTS

Richard Cohen

PALADIN... questions

Postby Richard Cohen » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:02 am

Name: Richard Cohen
Glad Harlan has returned and that his procedure went so easily -- so *seemingly* easily, I should say,
since who knows what he endured while you and I and Irene Dunne were gallavantin' around (such a cute song -- except, you know, for the racism).

Meanwhile, the-Man-&-his-Work-wise

((-----If these questions are answered in Harlan's dvd commentary, then never mind, I'll hear it eventually;
((-----if there are answers in the limited edition "Nackles Saga..." I'm hoping someone'll clue me in purely on the strength of noblesse oblige;
((-----if facts may be found elsewhere published, maybe someone'll just tell me, um, where to go))

I decided to have a PALADIN-heavy weekend, see, reading the original story, watching the Twilight Zone episode,
reading the revised version and 'Harlan Talks About Writing "Paladin,"'
and now wonder :

1-- Did Terry Carr have any reaction to Billy's test in HE's original story -- any reaction, that is, comparable to Brennert & Crocker's
when they resisted the same result in the earlier version of HE's teleplay?

2-- Is there more to the story of why Jack Gilford couldn't have been cast as Gaspar? (I'd have loved to see him in the role).
"...About Writing..." says CBS wouldn't have him -- even in 1985 -- because of the ancient blacklist, but Gilford had been on CBS shows
in the '60s, '70s and '80s ('81 Alice; '83 something called "Happy" according to imdb credits)
so Nu?

3-- The dramatized cadillac scene is a lot less weighty than the same scene in Harlan's prose.
Too much elfin charm in Kaye? Not enough monstrous menace from the driver? Or what?
Why, if you agree with me, is it a scene manqu and what's the missing element that might have vitalized it?

Richard

Richard Cohen

PALADIN... questions

Postby Richard Cohen » Sun Jul 19, 2009 5:02 am

Name: Richard Cohen
Glad Harlan has returned and that his procedure went so easily -- so *seemingly* easily, I should say,
since who knows what he endured while you and I and Irene Dunne were gallavantin' around (such a cute song -- except, you know, for the racism).

Meanwhile, the-Man-&-his-Work-wise

((-----If these questions are answered in Harlan's dvd commentary, then never mind, I'll hear it eventually;
((-----if there are answers in the limited edition "Nackles Saga..." I'm hoping someone'll clue me in purely on the strength of noblesse oblige;
((-----if facts may be found elsewhere published, maybe someone'll just tell me, um, where to go))

I decided to have a PALADIN-heavy weekend, see, reading the original story, watching the Twilight Zone episode,
reading the revised version and 'Harlan Talks About Writing "Paladin,"'
and now wonder :

1-- Did Terry Carr have any reaction to Billy's test in HE's original story -- any reaction, that is, comparable to Brennert & Crocker's
when they resisted the same result in the earlier version of HE's teleplay?

2-- Is there more to the story of why Jack Gilford couldn't have been cast as Gaspar? (I'd have loved to see him in the role).
"...About Writing..." says CBS wouldn't have him -- even in 1985 -- because of the ancient blacklist, but Gilford had been on CBS shows
in the '60s, '70s and '80s ('81 Alice; '83 something called "Happy" according to imdb credits)
so Nu?

3-- The dramatized cadillac scene is a lot less weighty than the same scene in Harlan's prose.
Too much elfin charm in Kaye? Not enough monstrous menace from the driver? Or what?
Why, if you agree with me, is it a scene manqu and what's the missing element that might have vitalized it?

Richard

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”