Pavilion Digest: July 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:35 pm

Name: Cindy
Source: unca20091007.htm
I'm sorry for this "after" post-- I didn't see Mark's post until after I rattled off the first.

Mark,
Kids are pretty intuitive-- they don't miss much. You handled that just right. I send you all good wishes, hopes and prayers.
You are not forgotten.

Cindy

I'll banish myself for 24.

Cindy

Postby Cindy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:35 pm

Name: Cindy
Source: unca20091009.htm
I'm sorry for this "after" post-- I didn't see Mark's post until after I rattled off the first.

Mark,
Kids are pretty intuitive-- they don't miss much. You handled that just right. I send you all good wishes, hopes and prayers.
You are not forgotten.

Cindy

I'll banish myself for 24.

Rick Keeney

HARLAN

Postby Rick Keeney » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:38 pm

Name: Keeney
please be aware of the following relatively new title:

SATCHEL: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF AN AMERICAN LEGEND by Larry Tye

I've not done due diligence on this one. Only spotted in en passant as Barnes and Noble was closing tonite. Only went home WANTING it.

Love and Rockets and Submarine Sliders,
Rick

Rick Keeney

HARLAN

Postby Rick Keeney » Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:38 pm

Name: Keeney
please be aware of the following relatively new title:

SATCHEL: THE LIFE AND TIMES OF AN AMERICAN LEGEND by Larry Tye

I've not done due diligence on this one. Only spotted in en passant as Barnes and Noble was closing tonite. Only went home WANTING it.

Love and Rockets and Submarine Sliders,
Rick

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:07 pm

Name: Rob
Oh, man.

It's a closing chapter of so much American history...

I didn't SEE Walter Cronkite in my lifetime as often as I'd wished, but I know all about the highlights of his career and his legacy.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:07 pm

Name: Rob
Oh, man.

It's a closing chapter of so much American history...

I didn't SEE Walter Cronkite in my lifetime as often as I'd wished, but I know all about the highlights of his career and his legacy.

William Sherman

.......And That's The Way It Is, Saturday, July 18, 2009

Postby William Sherman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:43 am

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

At age 44, I'm too young to remember Mr. Cronkite in his heyday; he retired during my sophomore year in prep school. Nevertheless, having read one or two of his memoirs, and having seen him on the CBS Evening News--battling for ratings with Frank Reynolds/Howard K. Smith on ABC, and Hunter & Brinkley/John Chancellor/Tom Brokaw on NBC (such gravitas!)--during my youth, I feel that American pop culture has lost another 'lion in winter'. Compared with the used car salesmen presenting the network news to us today, Mr. Cronkite occupied Olympus.

So sad, his passing this year, the fortieth anniversary of the first landing on the lunar surface, by Apollo 11. Mr. Cronkite always considered the "space race" with the former USSR to be "his story" during the 1960's; he followed every mission launch, from Mercury, through Gemini, to Apollo. He was NASA's Boswell, in other words. Somehow, his passing yesterday in the run up to celebrating the anniversary on Monday, though regrettable, seems appropriate in the sense that both journalism and the space program have, in the public's eye, been in decline since July 20, 1969. To ponder both the man, in his passing, and his assignment covering Aldrin and Armstrong (with Arthur C. Clarke as color man!!) this weekend seems, in the end, the greatest testament to that sublime day.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

William Sherman

.......And That's The Way It Is, Saturday, July 18, 2009

Postby William Sherman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:43 am

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

At age 44, I'm too young to remember Mr. Cronkite in his heyday; he retired during my sophomore year in prep school. Nevertheless, having read one or two of his memoirs, and having seen him on the CBS Evening News--battling for ratings with Frank Reynolds/Howard K. Smith on ABC, and Hunter & Brinkley/John Chancellor/Tom Brokaw on NBC (such gravitas!)--during my youth, I feel that American pop culture has lost another 'lion in winter'. Compared with the used car salesmen presenting the network news to us today, Mr. Cronkite occupied Olympus.

So sad, his passing this year, the fortieth anniversary of the first landing on the lunar surface, by Apollo 11. Mr. Cronkite always considered the "space race" with the former USSR to be "his story" during the 1960's; he followed every mission launch, from Mercury, through Gemini, to Apollo. He was NASA's Boswell, in other words. Somehow, his passing yesterday in the run up to celebrating the anniversary on Monday, though regrettable, seems appropriate in the sense that both journalism and the space program have, in the public's eye, been in decline since July 20, 1969. To ponder both the man, in his passing, and his assignment covering Aldrin and Armstrong (with Arthur C. Clarke as color man!!) this weekend seems, in the end, the greatest testament to that sublime day.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:12 am

Name: Steve Barber

Saturday morning. A cup of freshly ground Kona coffee at my side. Cellphone hasn't rung in nearly ten hours. Dog wanting his belly rubbed while the cat caterwauls in the back bathroom where the acoustics are best.

And I'm stalling for time on a story I'm supposed to complete for a writers' party tonight. I hate homework.

MARK - Thank you for the poignant update. Sometimes kids just get it right. Keep us posted.

(And speaking of which, we've got some other health threads that need updating. No, not Harlan's, that will come in good time. I mean youse other guys. You know who I mean...)

Cris' version of ROUTE 66 -- off her second album -- is consistently among her five top downloads on iTunes. (Though I note that it's fallen to number 7 this morning. Go figure.)

Oddly enough, though I'm only four years older than William Sherman I have solid memories of Cronkite -- though my folks were more of the Huntley/Brinkley Report audience than the CBS Evening News -- particularly when it comes to the space program. As William noted, it's perhaps fittingly ironic that Cronkite passed so near the anniversary of the Moon landing.

His passing is perhaps doubly sad in that it reflects how far the profession of broadcast journalism has fallen in the twenty-eight years that have passed since his retirement. There are, very sadly, no current anchors or reporters who can even approach the levels of a Cronkite, or a Brinkley, or a Murrow. Even the Brokaws and Rathers of the world have been put to pasture.

I studied Broadcast Management/Journalism at USC. I am thankful, in many ways, that life took my profession in another direction. I don't know that I could stomach being part of the current crop.

Cronkite, and others like him, are a dead breed. And we, as a society, are much the worse for letting it happen.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:12 am

Name: Steve Barber

Saturday morning. A cup of freshly ground Kona coffee at my side. Cellphone hasn't rung in nearly ten hours. Dog wanting his belly rubbed while the cat caterwauls in the back bathroom where the acoustics are best.

And I'm stalling for time on a story I'm supposed to complete for a writers' party tonight. I hate homework.

MARK - Thank you for the poignant update. Sometimes kids just get it right. Keep us posted.

(And speaking of which, we've got some other health threads that need updating. No, not Harlan's, that will come in good time. I mean youse other guys. You know who I mean...)

Cris' version of ROUTE 66 -- off her second album -- is consistently among her five top downloads on iTunes. (Though I note that it's fallen to number 7 this morning. Go figure.)

Oddly enough, though I'm only four years older than William Sherman I have solid memories of Cronkite -- though my folks were more of the Huntley/Brinkley Report audience than the CBS Evening News -- particularly when it comes to the space program. As William noted, it's perhaps fittingly ironic that Cronkite passed so near the anniversary of the Moon landing.

His passing is perhaps doubly sad in that it reflects how far the profession of broadcast journalism has fallen in the twenty-eight years that have passed since his retirement. There are, very sadly, no current anchors or reporters who can even approach the levels of a Cronkite, or a Brinkley, or a Murrow. Even the Brokaws and Rathers of the world have been put to pasture.

I studied Broadcast Management/Journalism at USC. I am thankful, in many ways, that life took my profession in another direction. I don't know that I could stomach being part of the current crop.

Cronkite, and others like him, are a dead breed. And we, as a society, are much the worse for letting it happen.

Robert Morales

"Amazon Erases Orwell Books From Kindle"

Postby Robert Morales » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:26 am

Name: Robert Morales
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/techn ... mazon.html

Robert Morales

"Amazon Erases Orwell Books From Kindle"

Postby Robert Morales » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:26 am

Name: Robert Morales
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/18/techn ... mazon.html

Shane Shellenbarger

Actors portraying Harlan and Susan

Postby Shane Shellenbarger » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:42 am

Name: Shane Shellenbarger
After decades since the last viewing, I watched the 1972 film, "1*7*7*6" and I was again taken with William Daniels portrayal of John Adams, specifically his relationship with Abigail Adams as portrayed by Virginia Vestoff. Daniels as the contentious,irascible, and Independence-focused Adams and Vestoff as the practical, even-tempered, supportive, but independent wife remind me, to a degree, of the relationship of Harlan and Susan.

In the '70's, I thought that Bill Bixby would have been a good choice to portray Harlan. Post-"My Favorite Martian" and pre-"The Incredible Hulk", circa-"The Magician," Bixby was suave, sophisticated, and quite the ladies man.

Any comments?

Shane Shellenbarger

Actors portraying Harlan and Susan

Postby Shane Shellenbarger » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:42 am

Name: Shane Shellenbarger
After decades since the last viewing, I watched the 1972 film, "1*7*7*6" and I was again taken with William Daniels portrayal of John Adams, specifically his relationship with Abigail Adams as portrayed by Virginia Vestoff. Daniels as the contentious,irascible, and Independence-focused Adams and Vestoff as the practical, even-tempered, supportive, but independent wife remind me, to a degree, of the relationship of Harlan and Susan.

In the '70's, I thought that Bill Bixby would have been a good choice to portray Harlan. Post-"My Favorite Martian" and pre-"The Incredible Hulk", circa-"The Magician," Bixby was suave, sophisticated, and quite the ladies man.

Any comments?

Barney Dannelke

The internet WANTS you to smile

Postby Barney Dannelke » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:14 am

Name: Barney Dannelke
Totally safe for work;

http://echosphere.net/star_trek_insp/in ... review.jpg

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”