Pavilion Digest: July 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Robert Morales

Nice NY Times piece on Jack Vance

Postby Robert Morales » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:30 pm

Name: Robert Morales
Source: unca20091009.htm
...in case you missed it:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/19/magaz ... nce-t.html

DTS

Frank's post

Postby DTS » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:33 pm

Name: DTS
Source: unca20091007.htm
FRANK: I think Ms Cindy is just trying to abide by HE's rules during the interim. As for "the Week," HE has professed his love of it. I'm with you on the somewhat conservative slant of many pieces gathered; 'course, I think a LOT of papers and magazines have been leaning to the right since the late 80s/early 90s. (And you're right, it's due to the fact that most editors and owners are conservative). But that noticeably conservative slant makes it hard for me to digest. Yeech.

Cheers,
DTS

DTS

Frank's post

Postby DTS » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:33 pm

Name: DTS
FRANK: I think Ms Cindy is just trying to abide by HE's rules during the interim. As for "the Week," HE has professed his love of it. I'm with you on the somewhat conservative slant of many pieces gathered; 'course, I think a LOT of papers and magazines have been leaning to the right since the late 80s/early 90s. (And you're right, it's due to the fact that most editors and owners are conservative). But that noticeably conservative slant makes it hard for me to digest. Yeech.

Cheers,
DTS

Susan Ellison

Postby Susan Ellison » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:44 pm

Name: SUSAN ELLISON
Dear One and All:

Just to let you know, he's doing fine. He was a brave, brave lad! Relaxing now.

With all best--Susan

Susan Ellison

Postby Susan Ellison » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:44 pm

Name: SUSAN ELLISON
Dear One and All:

Just to let you know, he's doing fine. He was a brave, brave lad! Relaxing now.

With all best--Susan

Graham

Postby Graham » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:14 pm

Name: Graham Rae
Great to know, Susan. Thanks for telling us. The man is indestructible. Thankfully.

Graham

Postby Graham » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:14 pm

Name: Graham Rae
Great to know, Susan. Thanks for telling us. The man is indestructible. Thankfully.

William Sherman

A Mother Lode on the Mother Road

Postby William Sherman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:55 am

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mrs. Ellison et al.:

@Susan: thank you for the update. I must say, a certain SFWA Grandmaster is a force of nature. The old lion still roars.

@One and All: To quote many a T.V. host from my past, the response has been overwhelming. Thanks for the advice on what to visit, to see, to avoid, etc., on our proposed pilgrimage next year. Now, if life would allow us actually to undertake said trip.

@Doc: If Dad and I do make it to Oklahoma City, deal. Visited there once before: family trip in 1978, in an all-aluminum "Barth" motor home. The Cowboy Hall of Fame and the oil derrick on the front lawn of the state capitol building still stand out in memory. Those, and 95 F heat in late June.

@Samuel John Klein: One of the few benefits of living in a state long dominated by one political party--"you may have any political color you want, as long as it's blue"--it does balance the books. Not pleasantly, but they balance.

@Steve Perry: Have heard most versions of "Route 66". Still take that of the Rolling Stones. Just rocks.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

William Sherman

A Mother Lode on the Mother Road

Postby William Sherman » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:55 am

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mrs. Ellison et al.:

@Susan: thank you for the update. I must say, a certain SFWA Grandmaster is a force of nature. The old lion still roars.

@One and All: To quote many a T.V. host from my past, the response has been overwhelming. Thanks for the advice on what to visit, to see, to avoid, etc., on our proposed pilgrimage next year. Now, if life would allow us actually to undertake said trip.

@Doc: If Dad and I do make it to Oklahoma City, deal. Visited there once before: family trip in 1978, in an all-aluminum "Barth" motor home. The Cowboy Hall of Fame and the oil derrick on the front lawn of the state capitol building still stand out in memory. Those, and 95 F heat in late June.

@Samuel John Klein: One of the few benefits of living in a state long dominated by one political party--"you may have any political color you want, as long as it's blue"--it does balance the books. Not pleasantly, but they balance.

@Steve Perry: Have heard most versions of "Route 66". Still take that of the Rolling Stones. Just rocks.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

Brian Phillips

A nice Con experience

Postby Brian Phillips » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:57 am

Name: Brian Phillips
I had a great time at Libertycon, which is held annually in Tennessee, just outside Chattanooga. We (The Atlanta Radio Theater Company) had a most receptive audience.

To quote our esteemed host, "You shoulda been there".

To KOS, the late singer who had a hit with "Ma, He's Making Eyes at Me", was Lena Zavaroni, not "Zavarino". I remember her from a guest appearance on the Carol Burnett Show.

I'm mildly ashamed that I know this.

For "better" consolation prizes, I happily suggest Rodney Allen Rippy's or Ricky Segall's albums.

I will now shower twelve times.

Brian Phillips

Brian Phillips

A nice Con experience

Postby Brian Phillips » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:57 am

Name: Brian Phillips
I had a great time at Libertycon, which is held annually in Tennessee, just outside Chattanooga. We (The Atlanta Radio Theater Company) had a most receptive audience.

To quote our esteemed host, "You shoulda been there".

To KOS, the late singer who had a hit with "Ma, He's Making Eyes at Me", was Lena Zavaroni, not "Zavarino". I remember her from a guest appearance on the Carol Burnett Show.

I'm mildly ashamed that I know this.

For "better" consolation prizes, I happily suggest Rodney Allen Rippy's or Ricky Segall's albums.

I will now shower twelve times.

Brian Phillips

paul

Doc (on) Holiday.

Postby paul » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:06 am

Name: Paul
Glad to hear all's well at Casa Ellison. Thanks Susan.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I found myself in OK City, it would be a must to stop in for a grounding of rational and fun conversation. Shagin's just being mean.

Next time, Doc, lunch is on me. What do they serve in OK anyway? Broiled TX ego?
(Man, Cindiana Jones is gonna tan my hide with that bullwhip. Runz.)

paul

Doc (on) Holiday.

Postby paul » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:06 am

Name: Paul
Glad to hear all's well at Casa Ellison. Thanks Susan.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If I found myself in OK City, it would be a must to stop in for a grounding of rational and fun conversation. Shagin's just being mean.

Next time, Doc, lunch is on me. What do they serve in OK anyway? Broiled TX ego?
(Man, Cindiana Jones is gonna tan my hide with that bullwhip. Runz.)

Tony Isabella

Postby Tony Isabella » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:53 am

Name: Tony Isabella
Thanks for the update, Susan.

Tony Isabella

Postby Tony Isabella » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:53 am

Name: Tony Isabella
Thanks for the update, Susan.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”