Pavilion Digest: July 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

William Sherman

Thoughts While An Insurance Adjustor Examines My Truck......

Postby William Sherman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:20 am

Name: William Sherman
Source: unca20091009.htm
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

Finalizing 2010 plans for August vacation, since WorldCon that year will occur in Australia. Dad and I problably will drive out to California, if it still exists, along the old Route 66-The Mother Road. A must-do since reading THE GRAPES OF WRATH in high school. Dad wants to take in the races at Del Mar; I, to see the American West and San Diego, which I have never visited before.

To a certain SFWA Grandmaster: bon chance.

Must explore Robert Sheckley, as well as Brown. Met his widow and step-daughter at WorldCon in 2005, who both appeared in his place shortly before his passing. Another great loss.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

KOS

The Great American West

Postby KOS » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:27 am

Name: KOS
Source: unca20091007.htm
Sherman: When you take the Mother Road, and arrive to the latter end home stretch, I commend to you the town of AMBOY, California Population circa Th-uh-REE on said road, in the desert. It is semi-open for business, as in they now pump gas from the old station and sell sody pop and cracker snacks. The vintage diner, "Roys'" may MAY be open for bizness by this time next year. Check out the official site for Roys, with Amboy info:

http://www.rt66roys.com/

Ditto for the vintage, I shit-you-not diner/road house "Bono's" in Fontana, California. It's run by the semi-retired son of the 1936 founders (and yeah, Sonny was his cousin, there is a connection there). It's the Real Deal, and as of a month ago when I was there and talked to him and stared in wonder at the place and its ORIGINAL Orange Cement Orange Shaped Juice Stand in the parking lot and toured the interior said owner/operator hoped to have it open for bizness within a brace of months.

While there are a slew of sources on 66, I know one person who has in the past year or so driven the entire length. When I say "driven", I mean cruised it in 100 mile or less daily slices, stopping to talk, viddy, picture, schmooze, carouse and generally document in detail for his own personally quirky need to do so. You can read some of it and contact for any details you crave at his blog:

http://therealwombat.wordpress.com/about/

Also, somewhich tangential, you ought to travel just east on I-40 (I think it is 40?) from Tuscon, about an hour or so to see the Barringer Crater. Something about the size of a house trailer hit the Earth there like ten thousand or so years back. Left a heck of a mark. It's right up the road from WInslow, Arizona, where you can see the girl in the flatbed Ford. She never slowed down to look at me, the shameless...

You also got to visit Vegas. Just avoid the strip if you want to do some serious gaming. It's Disneyland there, the real hard core Maggie Moneyeyes action is still downtown, and in the little cumps off the beaten track.

YOu got to take the Hoover Dam tour too. It's just Other Worldy spiggy and weird. It's just up the road from Vegas, nest to Boulder City, one of two towns in Nevada where gambling is, well, shanefully illegal. Then up the road is Pahrump, which is where you can pay for some, well...you get the allusion? Just saying, not recommending. Just saying...

And Del Mar, my SO has been wanting to get me out there for some summer horse flesh appraising. It's allegedly gorgeous, and when the ponies is running in the sun, and the waves crash and I am holding the winning ticket for a nag that went off at a hunnerd and one that blew the socks off the judges as it rounded the Clubhouse Turn and kicked into the stretch to win going away, well, you cannot get prettier than thatm now, can you?

Fredric Brown wrote the one piece I find most useful to offer up to people to see if they have any Sense Of Wonder left in them. It's called "Imagine", and is a one page essay cum "story" sort of literary work that is indescribable for one as limited and parvenu like such as myself. Just go read it.

Boss Harlan: been meaning to get out the cuff guards, green shaded visor and Burroughs mechanical calculator to figure up the tally and all that sort of needful accounting. I shall do it within the remaining days of this week, and then post the results to you immediately thereupon.

Colman? -sigh- Well I dated a Very Sexy Blonde named ColEman for a time, and used a ColEman (with genuine radioactive Thorium mantle!) lantern a few times, and I recall that Edgar Rice Burroughs eldest son who illustrated several ERB books and even wrote one or two sequels to ERB novels was John ColEman Burroughs, so I can plead a feeble consistency, but there it is: Ronald Colman it is.

Thanks!

KOS

KOS

The Great American West

Postby KOS » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:27 am

Name: KOS
Sherman: When you take the Mother Road, and arrive to the latter end home stretch, I commend to you the town of AMBOY, California Population circa Th-uh-REE on said road, in the desert. It is semi-open for business, as in they now pump gas from the old station and sell sody pop and cracker snacks. The vintage diner, "Roys'" may MAY be open for bizness by this time next year. Check out the official site for Roys, with Amboy info:

http://www.rt66roys.com/

Ditto for the vintage, I shit-you-not diner/road house "Bono's" in Fontana, California. It's run by the semi-retired son of the 1936 founders (and yeah, Sonny was his cousin, there is a connection there). It's the Real Deal, and as of a month ago when I was there and talked to him and stared in wonder at the place and its ORIGINAL Orange Cement Orange Shaped Juice Stand in the parking lot and toured the interior said owner/operator hoped to have it open for bizness within a brace of months.

While there are a slew of sources on 66, I know one person who has in the past year or so driven the entire length. When I say "driven", I mean cruised it in 100 mile or less daily slices, stopping to talk, viddy, picture, schmooze, carouse and generally document in detail for his own personally quirky need to do so. You can read some of it and contact for any details you crave at his blog:

http://therealwombat.wordpress.com/about/

Also, somewhich tangential, you ought to travel just east on I-40 (I think it is 40?) from Tuscon, about an hour or so to see the Barringer Crater. Something about the size of a house trailer hit the Earth there like ten thousand or so years back. Left a heck of a mark. It's right up the road from WInslow, Arizona, where you can see the girl in the flatbed Ford. She never slowed down to look at me, the shameless...

You also got to visit Vegas. Just avoid the strip if you want to do some serious gaming. It's Disneyland there, the real hard core Maggie Moneyeyes action is still downtown, and in the little cumps off the beaten track.

YOu got to take the Hoover Dam tour too. It's just Other Worldy spiggy and weird. It's just up the road from Vegas, nest to Boulder City, one of two towns in Nevada where gambling is, well, shanefully illegal. Then up the road is Pahrump, which is where you can pay for some, well...you get the allusion? Just saying, not recommending. Just saying...

And Del Mar, my SO has been wanting to get me out there for some summer horse flesh appraising. It's allegedly gorgeous, and when the ponies is running in the sun, and the waves crash and I am holding the winning ticket for a nag that went off at a hunnerd and one that blew the socks off the judges as it rounded the Clubhouse Turn and kicked into the stretch to win going away, well, you cannot get prettier than thatm now, can you?

Fredric Brown wrote the one piece I find most useful to offer up to people to see if they have any Sense Of Wonder left in them. It's called "Imagine", and is a one page essay cum "story" sort of literary work that is indescribable for one as limited and parvenu like such as myself. Just go read it.

Boss Harlan: been meaning to get out the cuff guards, green shaded visor and Burroughs mechanical calculator to figure up the tally and all that sort of needful accounting. I shall do it within the remaining days of this week, and then post the results to you immediately thereupon.

Colman? -sigh- Well I dated a Very Sexy Blonde named ColEman for a time, and used a ColEman (with genuine radioactive Thorium mantle!) lantern a few times, and I recall that Edgar Rice Burroughs eldest son who illustrated several ERB books and even wrote one or two sequels to ERB novels was John ColEman Burroughs, so I can plead a feeble consistency, but there it is: Ronald Colman it is.

Thanks!

KOS

Eric Waggoner

Those lahrvely Pyramid editions

Postby Eric Waggoner » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:13 am

Name: Eric Waggoner
Steve and Sam--Regarding your comments on those Pyramid editions of HE's books: I dig, comprehensively.

My copies of _The Glass Teat_, _The Other &c._, _Memos_, _Partners in Wonder_, _Paingod_, and _Spider Kiss_ are all from that series, and a right eye-catching bunch of volumes they are, too.

Though I'm not a denigrator of "handheld reader" technology, something about an exceptionally well-designed cover enhances the reading experience for me. I also like the smell of books, which some of my students find strange, but I've yet to see anyone sniffin' a Kindle with a beatific gleam in his eye.

Ah, well: Only a fool attempts to explain his fetishes in public.

Best to all,
E

Eric Waggoner

Those lahrvely Pyramid editions

Postby Eric Waggoner » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:13 am

Name: Eric Waggoner
Steve and Sam--Regarding your comments on those Pyramid editions of HE's books: I dig, comprehensively.

My copies of _The Glass Teat_, _The Other &c._, _Memos_, _Partners in Wonder_, _Paingod_, and _Spider Kiss_ are all from that series, and a right eye-catching bunch of volumes they are, too.

Though I'm not a denigrator of "handheld reader" technology, something about an exceptionally well-designed cover enhances the reading experience for me. I also like the smell of books, which some of my students find strange, but I've yet to see anyone sniffin' a Kindle with a beatific gleam in his eye.

Ah, well: Only a fool attempts to explain his fetishes in public.

Best to all,
E

Rick Keeney

eric waggoner

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:06 am

Name: Keeney
I am an inveterate book snifffer.

haha Almost typed "invertebrate."

"An invertebrate book sniffer" haha

Lovecraftian humor; a rich, and largely untapped vein.

mrmee,
R

Rick Keeney

eric waggoner

Postby Rick Keeney » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:06 am

Name: Keeney
I am an inveterate book snifffer.

haha Almost typed "invertebrate."

"An invertebrate book sniffer" haha

Lovecraftian humor; a rich, and largely untapped vein.

mrmee,
R

Bob Homeyer

Great Bad Movies

Postby Bob Homeyer » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:12 am

Name: Bob Homeyer
Hey now, what's your favorite great bad movie? I'll lead off with "Green Slime" (1968). Even the theme song is wonderfully awful.

Bob Homeyer

Great Bad Movies

Postby Bob Homeyer » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:12 am

Name: Bob Homeyer
Hey now, what's your favorite great bad movie? I'll lead off with "Green Slime" (1968). Even the theme song is wonderfully awful.

john zeock

Writers

Postby john zeock » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:13 am

Name: john zeock
Anyone who enjoys Brown and Sheckley should TRY to find R.A. Lafferty or Stanley Elkin. JZ.

john zeock

Writers

Postby john zeock » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:13 am

Name: john zeock
Anyone who enjoys Brown and Sheckley should TRY to find R.A. Lafferty or Stanley Elkin. JZ.

Adam-Troy

Cheered or Booed?

Postby Adam-Troy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:54 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
"Gateway Pundit" reports that Barack Obama was booed at the All-Star game, before throwing his "sissy pitch".

Here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI6aPwCE ... r_embedded

I can't speak to the pitch, but I need to note. While some boos are audible, they are overwhelmed by the cheering. If the percentage of stadium folks who hate Obama were the same as in real life -- and I mean, not the folks who simply oppose him politically, but the ones loathe everything he stands for, the kind of folks who would react to the sight of him walking on water with the sneer that black folks cannot swim -- then it's about 20%, and it didn't even sound that bad to me.

Adam-Troy

Cheered or Booed?

Postby Adam-Troy » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:54 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
"Gateway Pundit" reports that Barack Obama was booed at the All-Star game, before throwing his "sissy pitch".

Here's the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI6aPwCE ... r_embedded

I can't speak to the pitch, but I need to note. While some boos are audible, they are overwhelmed by the cheering. If the percentage of stadium folks who hate Obama were the same as in real life -- and I mean, not the folks who simply oppose him politically, but the ones loathe everything he stands for, the kind of folks who would react to the sight of him walking on water with the sneer that black folks cannot swim -- then it's about 20%, and it didn't even sound that bad to me.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:20 am

Name: Frank Church
What I was going to do, before I was so rudely interrupted, was to compliment the introduction to the story Snowfall, a story I have never read.

Snowfall, this suffers in the throat to say masterpiece, because such a word is little compared to the wonder of reading this story. I guess the term "perfect story" can suffice. Harlan really knows what to pick. This one levelled me, truly. The little foxes--oh God, the foxes.

Jessie Thompson has a gift. Somehow she must write again. So sad to find out she only wrote this story. A crime against humanity. A crime.

I needed this.

Levelled me, purely levelled me.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:20 am

Name: Frank Church
What I was going to do, before I was so rudely interrupted, was to compliment the introduction to the story Snowfall, a story I have never read.

Snowfall, this suffers in the throat to say masterpiece, because such a word is little compared to the wonder of reading this story. I guess the term "perfect story" can suffice. Harlan really knows what to pick. This one levelled me, truly. The little foxes--oh God, the foxes.

Jessie Thompson has a gift. Somehow she must write again. So sad to find out she only wrote this story. A crime against humanity. A crime.

I needed this.

Levelled me, purely levelled me.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”