Pavilion Digest: July 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

THE ADVISEMENT ------ PLEASE NOTE

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:56 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Source: unca20091007.htm
(First, by way of "cleaning up everything," thank you, David Loftus, for advising Frank of what I only got around to telling him a few minutes ago. Doing this the "smart" way, has turned out to be--as Steve Allen phrased it--the height of dumbth.)

Okay. Here it is.

Tomorrow I go in to the Tower Hemotology Medical lab to undergo a quick, outpatient, in-the-office procedure. A bone marrow biopsy.

Okay, stop that!
Settle down!

I wasn't going to say anything at all, because, in fact, IT IS NOTHING. At least, as "nothing" as any goddam medical thing can be "nothing" at three-quarters of a century. But I'm going to use tomorrow's needle-sticking to absent myself from here for a day or two.

Has nothing, really, to do with the biopsy; I just wanna loaf, and do some writing, and catch up a bit. So...here are the ground-rules for this post, because all this self-revelation crap is too FaceBook,twitter,blabber for me. I hate it roaringly! And so here are the ground-rules, to which there are

NO EXCEPTIONS.

1) I'll tell you all about it, in nauseating detail, with incomprehensible medical verbiage, eventually, so don't ask. Not directly, not by phone, not by mail, not by any e.thing of any kind, not by auto-intelligence, not by carrier pigeon.

2) No "good luck on your warpage" slip-ins. No "die on the table" shit; no "I'm praying for you to Xemu"; no trying to think around and outside the box on this one, simply to be a smartass. Just let it be. That means you, Church. Just let it lie.

NO EXCEPTIONS.

3) Don't bother Susan with any of this. She's going with me.
And though I know THAT YOU KNOW that this is (as I'm told by every asshole who has heard about this, except for Arnie Fenner, who ISN'T an asshole), it is I say, a blindingly ghastly painful interjection of a 2-foot-wide hollow-point rectangular-aperture needle into my VERY SOUL and SWEETMEATS, I'll be just fine, folks, just fine.

So.

G'bye for a coupla days. Try to keep the noise down: I'm trying to sleep.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

THE ADVISEMENT ------ PLEASE NOTE

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:56 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Source: unca20091009.htm
(First, by way of "cleaning up everything," thank you, David Loftus, for advising Frank of what I only got around to telling him a few minutes ago. Doing this the "smart" way, has turned out to be--as Steve Allen phrased it--the height of dumbth.)

Okay. Here it is.

Tomorrow I go in to the Tower Hemotology Medical lab to undergo a quick, outpatient, in-the-office procedure. A bone marrow biopsy.

Okay, stop that!
Settle down!

I wasn't going to say anything at all, because, in fact, IT IS NOTHING. At least, as "nothing" as any goddam medical thing can be "nothing" at three-quarters of a century. But I'm going to use tomorrow's needle-sticking to absent myself from here for a day or two.

Has nothing, really, to do with the biopsy; I just wanna loaf, and do some writing, and catch up a bit. So...here are the ground-rules for this post, because all this self-revelation crap is too FaceBook,twitter,blabber for me. I hate it roaringly! And so here are the ground-rules, to which there are

NO EXCEPTIONS.

1) I'll tell you all about it, in nauseating detail, with incomprehensible medical verbiage, eventually, so don't ask. Not directly, not by phone, not by mail, not by any e.thing of any kind, not by auto-intelligence, not by carrier pigeon.

2) No "good luck on your warpage" slip-ins. No "die on the table" shit; no "I'm praying for you to Xemu"; no trying to think around and outside the box on this one, simply to be a smartass. Just let it be. That means you, Church. Just let it lie.

NO EXCEPTIONS.

3) Don't bother Susan with any of this. She's going with me.
And though I know THAT YOU KNOW that this is (as I'm told by every asshole who has heard about this, except for Arnie Fenner, who ISN'T an asshole), it is I say, a blindingly ghastly painful interjection of a 2-foot-wide hollow-point rectangular-aperture needle into my VERY SOUL and SWEETMEATS, I'll be just fine, folks, just fine.

So.

G'bye for a coupla days. Try to keep the noise down: I'm trying to sleep.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

shagin

To Michael M. re: music info

Postby shagin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:58 pm

Name: shagin
The information you provided has been passed on to the musician in question. Thank you muchlies for giving us an idea of where to set our feet to start the leg work.

Sandra

shagin

To Michael M. re: music info

Postby shagin » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:58 pm

Name: shagin
The information you provided has been passed on to the musician in question. Thank you muchlies for giving us an idea of where to set our feet to start the leg work.

Sandra

Kate

Postby Kate » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:17 pm

Name: Kate
Dear, dear Mr. Ellison: I truly understand your reticence, having experienced a few health issues of my own... but can we say -- openly, kindly, even lovingly since we care about you... that we send you good wishes and hope for nothing but the best for you! That's all, dear author, that's all!

Kate

Postby Kate » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:17 pm

Name: Kate
Dear, dear Mr. Ellison: I truly understand your reticence, having experienced a few health issues of my own... but can we say -- openly, kindly, even lovingly since we care about you... that we send you good wishes and hope for nothing but the best for you! That's all, dear author, that's all!

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:19 pm

Name: Steve Barber

HARLAN - Connection made. I will advise them you're "out-of-sorts" for a few days and will speak to them later in the week.

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:19 pm

Name: Steve Barber

HARLAN - Connection made. I will advise them you're "out-of-sorts" for a few days and will speak to them later in the week.

robochrist

Great Sale At Bargain Basement Prices!

Postby robochrist » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:48 pm

Name: Rob
As of this announcement, I am placing on the auction block two roommates that HAVE to GO!!!!!!

They are a pain-in-the-ass! They are stupid! They are thoroughly unaccountable! EVERYTHING you could possibly want in a tenant to maximize your lodging pleasure! ALL for the lowest price ever!

HURRY n'GET 'em while they're still here!

robochrist

Great Sale At Bargain Basement Prices!

Postby robochrist » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:48 pm

Name: Rob
As of this announcement, I am placing on the auction block two roommates that HAVE to GO!!!!!!

They are a pain-in-the-ass! They are stupid! They are thoroughly unaccountable! EVERYTHING you could possibly want in a tenant to maximize your lodging pleasure! ALL for the lowest price ever!

HURRY n'GET 'em while they're still here!

Kris Nelson

Crompton Divided

Postby Kris Nelson » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:23 pm

Name: Kris Nelson
On the advice of psychedelic music guru and ghost-train spotter Edward Ka-Spel, who has a healthy respect for Harlan, I picked up some books by Robert Sheckley, one of which - Crompton Divided - is a sheer delightful descent into the undigested rumblings in the bowels of dyspeptic madness!!!

Harlan's joyful endorsement upon opening the book likens Robert Sheckley to the Marx Brothers if they had been literary, instead of thespic fantasists!

The punchline of this 182 page jest has just tickled my proverbial ulnar nerve into full agreement!

If anyone here has not read this work I do hereby posit that you have missed something special.

Kris Nelson

Crompton Divided

Postby Kris Nelson » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:23 pm

Name: Kris Nelson
On the advice of psychedelic music guru and ghost-train spotter Edward Ka-Spel, who has a healthy respect for Harlan, I picked up some books by Robert Sheckley, one of which - Crompton Divided - is a sheer delightful descent into the undigested rumblings in the bowels of dyspeptic madness!!!

Harlan's joyful endorsement upon opening the book likens Robert Sheckley to the Marx Brothers if they had been literary, instead of thespic fantasists!

The punchline of this 182 page jest has just tickled my proverbial ulnar nerve into full agreement!

If anyone here has not read this work I do hereby posit that you have missed something special.

Samuel John Klein

Postby Samuel John Klein » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:33 am

Name: Samuel John Klein
I have been perusing the HERC and have noted with some happiness that there are volumes in there at reasonable prices. I have my eye on a few titles.

To Harlan: Thank you for your response nonetheless, as this gives me the chance to say diectly to you that I like the chance to get some of my hard-earned money DIRECTLY into your hand without a bunch of people picking a few cents off here and there.

I have uncovered my copy of The Essential Ellison that I bought at an OryCon back in 1987 or 1988. I'll get into that perforce. My favorite line is the one where the condition of the famous gopher was described: "As dead as Reagan's concern for the poor".

Given that Reagan is now deceased himself, I find additional cosmic humor thereon. If it's not in TOO poor a taste to point out the symmetry.

Samuel John Klein

Postby Samuel John Klein » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:33 am

Name: Samuel John Klein
I have been perusing the HERC and have noted with some happiness that there are volumes in there at reasonable prices. I have my eye on a few titles.

To Harlan: Thank you for your response nonetheless, as this gives me the chance to say diectly to you that I like the chance to get some of my hard-earned money DIRECTLY into your hand without a bunch of people picking a few cents off here and there.

I have uncovered my copy of The Essential Ellison that I bought at an OryCon back in 1987 or 1988. I'll get into that perforce. My favorite line is the one where the condition of the famous gopher was described: "As dead as Reagan's concern for the poor".

Given that Reagan is now deceased himself, I find additional cosmic humor thereon. If it's not in TOO poor a taste to point out the symmetry.

William Sherman

Thoughts While An Insurance Adjustor Examines My Truck......

Postby William Sherman » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:20 am

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

Finalizing 2010 plans for August vacation, since WorldCon that year will occur in Australia. Dad and I problably will drive out to California, if it still exists, along the old Route 66-The Mother Road. A must-do since reading THE GRAPES OF WRATH in high school. Dad wants to take in the races at Del Mar; I, to see the American West and San Diego, which I have never visited before.

To a certain SFWA Grandmaster: bon chance.

Must explore Robert Sheckley, as well as Brown. Met his widow and step-daughter at WorldCon in 2005, who both appeared in his place shortly before his passing. Another great loss.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”