Pavilion Digest: July 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

KLEIN REDUX --- WM. SHERMAN & SEMI--WRITER

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:41 pm

Name: HARLAN ELLISON
Source: unca20091009.htm
MMMmm. Apparently, thinking I was going at this the "smart" way, I DID have a genuine advisement to post, which is the WHY of "why" I sat down here at this vile instrumentality; and being "smart," I thought I'd clean up everything from about midday last Saturday through today. Yeah; sure; THAT'll happen.

So I respond to Mr. Klein, only to proceed with the scrolling, and I discover that yes, indeed, you good folks, beginning with
Steve Jarrett, have done all the donkeywork for me, and my post is utterly abyssally and even profoundly useless! I sigh. And say thank you to everyone who got here before today.

Now. To The Midnight Mission of Sherman&Semi: No! Do what you will with the money, but do NOT send it to us. When we need to ask a benison, or to beg, we are content so to do ... but we are okay at the moment, and others can do with it far more needfully than I. So take NO as a final, and work out the dispersal, if ever, 'tween yersellufs.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Richard Cohen

Poster Proposes, Pavilion Disposes

Postby Richard Cohen » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:52 pm

Name: Richard Cohen
Source: unca20091007.htm
Le,

Sorry for your frustration. You want comments on the book
and no one will so vouchsafe so much as a thoughtful greps. Ach.
There's a healthy Preview sample at Google Books, however
http://books.google.com/books?id=XvaIuz ... weil+wolfe
Looking at that I can't say more than that it looks like a valuable work to me, as well -- which is a pretty feeble
comment -- but maybe others will look and get back to you with smarter, more seasoned responses.

Richard

Richard Cohen

Poster Proposes, Pavilion Disposes

Postby Richard Cohen » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:52 pm

Name: Richard Cohen
Le,

Sorry for your frustration. You want comments on the book
and no one will so vouchsafe so much as a thoughtful greps. Ach.
There's a healthy Preview sample at Google Books, however
http://books.google.com/books?id=XvaIuz ... weil+wolfe
Looking at that I can't say more than that it looks like a valuable work to me, as well -- which is a pretty feeble
comment -- but maybe others will look and get back to you with smarter, more seasoned responses.

Richard

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

HEY, ZACK!!!!!!!!!

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:01 pm

Oh, lawzy, Maltesta ... it is to die from laughing! What a good and gracious and sadly forgiving deep-sigh about your hillbilly family and the Coming Apocalypse.

All I could think of, when I stopped laughing, were two brilliant stories written by the master short-short story fantasist of us all, the late Fredric Brown (who wrote in many lengths, but his short-shorts were MY inspiration for the
abecedarian congeries I've done). And remembering "Dark Interlude" (written in collaboration with the late Mack reynolds) and "Me and Flapjack and the Martians," I started laughing all over again. So I must recommend Fred to y'all, but especially to you, Zack.

These two stories are reprinted widely, but if you can lay your hands on the gorgeous Phantasia Press collection of Brown's work, AND THE GODS LAUGHED, you will be doing yourself one huge, laughter-besotted favor. (These two, individually or together, may appear in other reprints of Fredric (note spelling) Brown's work, but fer shur they're in the Phantasia Press limited.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

HEY, ZACK!!!!!!!!!

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:01 pm

Oh, lawzy, Maltesta ... it is to die from laughing! What a good and gracious and sadly forgiving deep-sigh about your hillbilly family and the Coming Apocalypse.

All I could think of, when I stopped laughing, were two brilliant stories written by the master short-short story fantasist of us all, the late Fredric Brown (who wrote in many lengths, but his short-shorts were MY inspiration for the
abecedarian congeries I've done). And remembering "Dark Interlude" (written in collaboration with the late Mack reynolds) and "Me and Flapjack and the Martians," I started laughing all over again. So I must recommend Fred to y'all, but especially to you, Zack.

These two stories are reprinted widely, but if you can lay your hands on the gorgeous Phantasia Press collection of Brown's work, AND THE GODS LAUGHED, you will be doing yourself one huge, laughter-besotted favor. (These two, individually or together, may appear in other reprints of Fredric (note spelling) Brown's work, but fer shur they're in the Phantasia Press limited.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:02 pm

Name: Steve Barber

HARLAN - Found a way to contact the person you wanted to talk to. Stay tuned to see if they react.

SB

(PS - Still no luck with Susan's video company. Almost like they don't wanna be found...)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:02 pm

Name: Steve Barber

HARLAN - Found a way to contact the person you wanted to talk to. Stay tuned to see if they react.

SB

(PS - Still no luck with Susan's video company. Almost like they don't wanna be found...)

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

FRANK CHURCH -----

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:05 pm

Have no idea if, in your searching around, you also discovered that I wrote (many years ago) a longish review/essay on "those dirty little Tijuana Bibles." I did, y'know. Good piece; even today. It was called "The Kind Men Like," or somesuch.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

FRANK CHURCH -----

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:05 pm

Have no idea if, in your searching around, you also discovered that I wrote (many years ago) a longish review/essay on "those dirty little Tijuana Bibles." I did, y'know. Good piece; even today. It was called "The Kind Men Like," or somesuch.

Yr. Pal, Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

KOS

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:11 pm

1. Ronald COLMAN's name is spelt wiffout an "e."

2. Got any mazuma for me, kiddo?

Harlan

Harlan Ellison
Harlan Fucking Ellison

KOS

Postby Harlan Ellison » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:11 pm

1. Ronald COLMAN's name is spelt wiffout an "e."

2. Got any mazuma for me, kiddo?

Harlan

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:21 pm

Name: Frank Church
Was worried to see my name in capital letters, especially since my day has been raspberry foot fungus, expertly crafted by GOP Senators with their glass teat lynching of a latina woman. Thankfully my man Harlan didn't beat me over the head.

I will look for the article, my liege. Huggles.

-------------

Sotomayor, don't let them see you sweat.

Jeff Sessions will hopefully fry for his racist comments today.

-------------

I forgive Ralph Nader. He was right. When even Norway says Obama is right wing, we are in for long days ahead. I can only hope the man finds what he left at that Chicago park.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:21 pm

Name: Frank Church
Was worried to see my name in capital letters, especially since my day has been raspberry foot fungus, expertly crafted by GOP Senators with their glass teat lynching of a latina woman. Thankfully my man Harlan didn't beat me over the head.

I will look for the article, my liege. Huggles.

-------------

Sotomayor, don't let them see you sweat.

Jeff Sessions will hopefully fry for his racist comments today.

-------------

I forgive Ralph Nader. He was right. When even Norway says Obama is right wing, we are in for long days ahead. I can only hope the man finds what he left at that Chicago park.

William Sherman

Roger That, Mr. Ellison

Postby William Sherman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:50 pm

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison:

Received. Thanks, also, for the recommendation on Frederic Brown. Will prowl the usual huckstering areas for copies.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

William Sherman

Roger That, Mr. Ellison

Postby William Sherman » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:50 pm

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison:

Received. Thanks, also, for the recommendation on Frederic Brown. Will prowl the usual huckstering areas for copies.

Regards,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”