Pavilion Digest: July 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:22 am

Name: Frank Church
Source: unca20091007.htm
KOS, greed is a bad thing. It's what killed Michael Jackson in the end.

Write for fun, not for money. You will write better stuff and be happy as a lark in a rum jar.

If you need to pay the bills, there's always panhandling.

-------------

Why even review a movie like Transformers? Movies that obvious should be culturally avoided, like tsetse flies.

The same thing with music reviews: why even review Britney Spears or the Jonas Brothers? Cultural literacy is a good thing.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:22 am

Name: Frank Church
Source: unca20091009.htm
KOS, greed is a bad thing. It's what killed Michael Jackson in the end.

Write for fun, not for money. You will write better stuff and be happy as a lark in a rum jar.

If you need to pay the bills, there's always panhandling.

-------------

Why even review a movie like Transformers? Movies that obvious should be culturally avoided, like tsetse flies.

The same thing with music reviews: why even review Britney Spears or the Jonas Brothers? Cultural literacy is a good thing.

W. Powell

Blast from the past

Postby W. Powell » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:24 am

Name: W. Powell
"This is Ted Koppel, coming to you live from inside the casket..."

(Yeah, I know it's HE's line, but it seemed an appropriate day to drag that one back out again.)

W. Powell

Blast from the past

Postby W. Powell » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:24 am

Name: W. Powell
"This is Ted Koppel, coming to you live from inside the casket..."

(Yeah, I know it's HE's line, but it seemed an appropriate day to drag that one back out again.)

Brian Phillips

Heading to Libertycon on July 11th?

Postby Brian Phillips » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:26 am

Name: Brian Phillips
It's "The Souths Friendliest Science Fiction Convention" and it's held just outside Chattanooga, TN. Guest of honor will be Ben Bova.

If you are going, I hope to see you there. If you are there at a certain time, you will definitely see me, because I will be performing with the Atlanta Radio Theatre Company, so I will be onstage for part of the night.

Details here:
http://www.libertycon.org/html/news.sht ... 2073,21648,

Brian Phillips

Brian Phillips

Heading to Libertycon on July 11th?

Postby Brian Phillips » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:26 am

Name: Brian Phillips
It's "The Souths Friendliest Science Fiction Convention" and it's held just outside Chattanooga, TN. Guest of honor will be Ben Bova.

If you are going, I hope to see you there. If you are there at a certain time, you will definitely see me, because I will be performing with the Atlanta Radio Theatre Company, so I will be onstage for part of the night.

Details here:
http://www.libertycon.org/html/news.sht ... 2073,21648,

Brian Phillips

Adam-Troy

Various

Postby Adam-Troy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:32 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
As I've said, I could almost see an ASTEROIDS movie having some promise, since the concept is so (excuse me) nebulous that it could be the jumping-off point to almost any spacefaring adventure. But VIEWMASTER: THE MOTION PICTURE? What would that be? An entire movie where the field of vision is that cut-out figure eight that used to denote the view through binoculars in war flicks? What's next? TIC-TAC-TOE: THE EXPERIENCE?

Dumbth. Read it and despair.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2009-07-02 ... dence-day/

Adam-Troy

Various

Postby Adam-Troy » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:32 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
As I've said, I could almost see an ASTEROIDS movie having some promise, since the concept is so (excuse me) nebulous that it could be the jumping-off point to almost any spacefaring adventure. But VIEWMASTER: THE MOTION PICTURE? What would that be? An entire movie where the field of vision is that cut-out figure eight that used to denote the view through binoculars in war flicks? What's next? TIC-TAC-TOE: THE EXPERIENCE?

Dumbth. Read it and despair.

http://www.miaminewtimes.com/2009-07-02 ... dence-day/

Sidney Doubleposter

Postby Sidney Doubleposter » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:39 am

Name: Sidney Doubleposter
I am hoping, really hoping, that during the funeral Michael Jackson comes back to life.

No, not as a zombie from *Thriller*, the obvious joke. No, I mean really *return from the dead*. The coffin starts to glow, and shake. Light scythes out from every atom-thin crack. The lid is blasted away from within, on a column of pure white light, and as the mourners look on in fear and wonder, and the TV cameras strain to keep the light levels down, Michael Jackson rises from the open box in a magnificent apotheosis. He stands twelve feet tall, his plastic surgery undone and his face remade into its true ideal. He is clothed in a raiment of shimmering gossamer, and upon his feet are golden sandals adorned with rosettes. And Michael Jackson rises into the air, his hands apart and open, welcoming all to himself. Behind him, a choir of beautiful castrati sing praises of his name, his music, and his dancing, along with choruses from _Jesus Christ Superstar_. Cherubis twirl ribbons of silk around his head like graceful bumblebees. Just visible in the brilliance, the loving faces of Jesus, Mohammed, Abraham, Buddha and Krishna are seen gazing lovingly upon Michael Jackson.

And as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton rise to stand by his side, Michael Jackson announces, in a breathless voice that is as terrifying as it is comforting, that he has returned from the land beyond this one, purified, sanctified, his torments eased and his self reconstituted into its finest expression, and he is now here on Earth to judge the living and the dead.

I want Michael Jackson to return to life the gaudiest, cheapest, most gimcrack rural-trash spectacle of transcendence imaginable. I want an apotheosis so campy it'd make Joel Schumacher look like David Lean. I want heavenly choruses so syrupy and over-orchestrated, they make Andrew Lloyd Webber sound like Johannes Brahms. I want Michael Jackson's manifestation of power and glory and eternal judgement to make the Catholic Church look like an abandoned Port-O-San.

I want Michael Jackson to come back to life because it'd really fuck with people's heads.

A LOT.

It'd be worth it.

Sidney Doubleposter

Postby Sidney Doubleposter » Tue Jul 07, 2009 8:39 am

Name: Sidney Doubleposter
I am hoping, really hoping, that during the funeral Michael Jackson comes back to life.

No, not as a zombie from *Thriller*, the obvious joke. No, I mean really *return from the dead*. The coffin starts to glow, and shake. Light scythes out from every atom-thin crack. The lid is blasted away from within, on a column of pure white light, and as the mourners look on in fear and wonder, and the TV cameras strain to keep the light levels down, Michael Jackson rises from the open box in a magnificent apotheosis. He stands twelve feet tall, his plastic surgery undone and his face remade into its true ideal. He is clothed in a raiment of shimmering gossamer, and upon his feet are golden sandals adorned with rosettes. And Michael Jackson rises into the air, his hands apart and open, welcoming all to himself. Behind him, a choir of beautiful castrati sing praises of his name, his music, and his dancing, along with choruses from _Jesus Christ Superstar_. Cherubis twirl ribbons of silk around his head like graceful bumblebees. Just visible in the brilliance, the loving faces of Jesus, Mohammed, Abraham, Buddha and Krishna are seen gazing lovingly upon Michael Jackson.

And as Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton rise to stand by his side, Michael Jackson announces, in a breathless voice that is as terrifying as it is comforting, that he has returned from the land beyond this one, purified, sanctified, his torments eased and his self reconstituted into its finest expression, and he is now here on Earth to judge the living and the dead.

I want Michael Jackson to return to life the gaudiest, cheapest, most gimcrack rural-trash spectacle of transcendence imaginable. I want an apotheosis so campy it'd make Joel Schumacher look like David Lean. I want heavenly choruses so syrupy and over-orchestrated, they make Andrew Lloyd Webber sound like Johannes Brahms. I want Michael Jackson's manifestation of power and glory and eternal judgement to make the Catholic Church look like an abandoned Port-O-San.

I want Michael Jackson to come back to life because it'd really fuck with people's heads.

A LOT.

It'd be worth it.

Robert Nason

Jackson funeral

Postby Robert Nason » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:15 am

Name: Robert Nason
It will only be a day or two before we start hearing that Michael has been resurrected from the grave, with promises that although he has any important gig "somewhere else," he'll "be back" -- so ya better get your act together by the time he returns! Thus are religions started. We're seeing the seeds planted even as I write -- whether they actually grow and bloom depends on the skill of the gospel writers who come later (or sooner, considering the speed of communication these days). The Gospel According to Uri Geller? The Gospel According to Tito Jackson? I sure doubt we'll be seeing The Gospel According to Peter King, except perhaps as a piece of Apocrypha.

Robert Nason

Jackson funeral

Postby Robert Nason » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:15 am

Name: Robert Nason
It will only be a day or two before we start hearing that Michael has been resurrected from the grave, with promises that although he has any important gig "somewhere else," he'll "be back" -- so ya better get your act together by the time he returns! Thus are religions started. We're seeing the seeds planted even as I write -- whether they actually grow and bloom depends on the skill of the gospel writers who come later (or sooner, considering the speed of communication these days). The Gospel According to Uri Geller? The Gospel According to Tito Jackson? I sure doubt we'll be seeing The Gospel According to Peter King, except perhaps as a piece of Apocrypha.

Gwyneth M905

Seconding Mr. Sherman's post

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:51 am

Name: Gwyneth M905
Robert S. McNamara died peacefully in his sleep at 5:30 this morning. There is not a just God, may God have mercy on my soul for saying this.

The NYT has a good article: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/07/us/07mcnamara.html

Also, any who have not seen "The Fog of War", should add it to their NetFlix queue, along with "No End in Sight". The two together make for a fascinating double feature.

Gwyneth M905

Seconding Mr. Sherman's post

Postby Gwyneth M905 » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:51 am

Name: Gwyneth M905
Robert S. McNamara died peacefully in his sleep at 5:30 this morning. There is not a just God, may God have mercy on my soul for saying this.

The NYT has a good article: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/07/us/07mcnamara.html

Also, any who have not seen "The Fog of War", should add it to their NetFlix queue, along with "No End in Sight". The two together make for a fascinating double feature.

Jordan Owen

re: Transformers

Postby Jordan Owen » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:59 am

Name: Jordan Owen
You know, Mr. Olson, if you had done Viewmaster the movie, they would have most certainly come to you for a movie about those big red rubber balls with the ring attached that we all bounced around on as kids. And just imagine Viggo Mortensen smashing one of those across somebody's heads!

-J

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”