Pavilion Digest: May 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

Dennis C

Star Drek

Postby Dennis C » Mon May 04, 2009 8:03 am

Name: Dennis C
Source: unca20090603.htm
Wait: Gary Coleman AND Harry Mudd aren't in it? Then it's not worth seeing....

Adam-Troy

Guys, Guys

Postby Adam-Troy » Mon May 04, 2009 8:11 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
I think rhetoric like "pure dick move" goes way over the line here, in this case of reciting a fact about a film that is largely (if evidently in error) assumed to be common knowledge. We have, properly I think, tightened the rule against spoilers here to a point well past what the term means in normal everyday discourse, but the flip side of that is that it then becomes possible to cross the line without realizing it, and that's what happens in the case of a guy plugged into film who heard of the ***** by ******* ***** as ***** like, more than a year ago. Josh has said nothing about the film that I haven't gleaned just by, you know, hearing advance publicity of the production. You wanna argue whether what he did was right or wrong, that's one thing, but "pure dick move" is almost like crucifying a guy who points out something that has been widely known to readers of the Harry Potter books for years now, that ********** **** in HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE. No malice, no dickery was intended, even if I was personally pissed off when I was twelve and somebody interrupted my first-time viewing of CITIZEN KANE by telling me, offhand, what the dying squillionaire meant by "Rosebud."

fc

Postby fc » Mon May 04, 2009 8:23 am

Name: fc
Nobody has a "pure dick," and nobody should.

The Pope's dick is divine property of the great golden zipper.

Josh Olson

Postby Josh Olson » Mon May 04, 2009 8:58 am

Name: Josh Olson
Just when I think the internet can't get more batshit crazy than it already is....

If another person comes close to equating the revealing of Spock's death in Trek 2 with mentioning Shatner's absence in the new one - a film that famously recasts all the leads - I am going to post a detailed synopsis of the entire plot.

It is not my fault that one person's anticipation of this film is based on something that is famously not going to happen. There may, for instance, be some wing-ding out there who thinks it's a TV movie, whose pleasure will be utterly demolished when I mention that it's opening in theaters everywhere this Friday and he's gonna have to cough up eight bucks to see it. Or perhaps when I say you should see it in Imax, I might accidentally ruin it for the one dipshit who was hoping it was a small domestic drama. When I say Chris Pine is just terrific as Captain Kirk, it's conceivable that the dude who's only gonna dig the movie if he stinks will have his week ruined.

Mentioning the name of an actor who is famously not in the movie is not a fucking spoiler.

And in the immortal words OF that actor who is famously not in the movie... GET A LIFE.

Love,

JO

Josh Olson

PS

Postby Josh Olson » Mon May 04, 2009 9:01 am

Name: Josh Olson
I am now going to ruin the next three James Bond movies:

No Connery.

Ezra Lb.

Postby Ezra Lb. » Mon May 04, 2009 9:33 am

Name: Ezra
Hey Josh, you being such an inside guy and everything could you find out which scene they were filming in TERMINATOR 4:SALVATION ARMY when Christian Bale went off on the lighting guy? It would really enhance my reputation amongst my loved ones and friends, not to mention the strangers in the theater, if at the appropriate moment I stood up and shouted "Hey that's the scene where Christian Bale went off on the lighting guy!"

And then if I namechecked a big time Hollywood writer, that CERTAIN SOMEONE could deny me nothing!

Could you do that?

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon May 04, 2009 9:36 am

Name: Steve Barber

(FIRST - CHUCK, my thoughts are with you. I meant to write that yesterday, but neglected to. Best wishes to your family in tough times.)

SECOND: Welcome to the next episode of the new reality series entitled "When perfectly reaosnable and intelligent people become dicks and snark at each other".

As Adam-Troy has noted, Josh's original post was innocently written. The fact that a given actor does NOT appear in a film, any film, is hardly a spoiler. Do we walk out of the movei afterward and comment that "it really came as a big shock to me that Billy the Kid wasn't in DEAD POET'S SOCIETY 2: EVEN DEADER. I mean, yeah, he died in the first flick, but still..."

I understand the desire to see a film tabula rasa, but the news that an actor isn't in a film is not really the same as revealing even a minor plot point.

But I also agree with Keith that it should not have been noted here in the Pav.

As for the piling on and namecalling? No so thrilled with that, personally. Annoys me more than even a REAL spoiler does. Ain't my site, but do I really need to read snarky messages on both sides of the aisle?

That's what we have trolls for, not Regulars.

(BTW - Adam-Troy. No spoilers, but last night's TAR??? Good on the final three.)

(And I'm STILL looking forward to seeing the new TREK. Rolling Stone assigned it 3 1/2 stars, and was quite complimentary in their review.)

Site Admin

Postby Moderator » Mon May 04, 2009 9:37 am

Name: Steve Barber
Not sure when I became dyslexic, but apologies...

stevendooner

Postby stevendooner » Mon May 04, 2009 9:53 am

Name: Steve Dooner
Josh,

That was transcendent wit!

Steve Dooner

PS. Batman is not in the movie either

William Sherman

Backstory on "Mind That Bird"

Postby William Sherman » Mon May 04, 2009 10:01 am

Name: William Sherman
Dear Mr. Ellison et al.:

"Semi-writer": you, as one currently apparently enduring a financial form of "double secret probation", are most welcome. Just remember the Luftwaffe's attack on Pearl Harbor. Someday, when I'm in L.A. and need a ride, I'll appoint you "pledge representative to the transportation committee".

Why that horse? Our dear host had a role to play in this, of course. Mindful of Mr. E.'s past default moniker, "Cordwainer Bird", "Mind" became an "equine of interest". Further handicapping confirmed the initial hunch. Borel's an excellent jockey in mud and for charging the rail late in a race. Besides, would anyone other than the owner bet on a horse named "Dunkirk"? Why not "Munich", or "Bataan", or "Saigon"?

Those horses would have heart attacks.

Regards from the Dean's Office at the finish line,

William Sherman
Boxford, MA

Adam-Troy

To Steve B

Postby Adam-Troy » Mon May 04, 2009 10:13 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
The eccentric results achieved by players mispronouncing Mandarin was pure comedy of the sort that made me deeply sorry that Jaime did not participate in that task; and the fate of the sisters leads me to call this season an unofficial sequel to the first, ie. "The Expensive Bowl of Pee."

Jan

Postby Jan » Mon May 04, 2009 10:30 am

Name: Jan
Steve, you were always dyslexic but we were afraid to say it.

Josh, on what do you base your opinion that Shatner is/was not a good actor? Check out "Nick of Time", "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet", "The Indruder", "Airplane II", early "Star Trek", "Columbo: Fade in to Murder" etc. Good work means good actor.

James Van Hise

William Shatner's big mouth

Postby James Van Hise » Mon May 04, 2009 10:50 am

Name: James Van Hise
I really didn't think it was possible that anyone didn't know that Shatner wasn't in the new Trek film. He's been all over the place complaining about it for the past year. At least once he admitted that he wasn't in it because he was offered a cameo but wanted a bigger role, but he doesn't mention that any more. Just last week there was a major story about the film's premiere and the headline was that Shatner had snubbed it because he wasn't in the film. You really had to be hiding not to notice any of this.

BrianSiano

Postby BrianSiano » Mon May 04, 2009 11:09 am

Name: Brian Siano
I wouldn't worry about William Shatner: he's got his hands full these days:

http://www.bizarrocentral.com/book_detail.asp?bookID=97
Shatnerquake by Jeff Burk
"Its the first ShatnerCon with William Shatner as the guest of honor! But after a failed terrorist attack by Campbellians, a crazy terrorist cult that worships Bruce Campbell, all of the characters ever played by William Shatner are suddenly sucked into our world. Their mission: hunt down and destroy the real William Shatner. Featuring: Captain Kirk, TJ Hooker, Denny Crane, Rescue 911 Shatner, Singer Shatner, Shakespearean Shatner, Twilight Zone Shatner, Cartoon Kirk, Esperanto Shatner, Priceline Shatner, SNL Shatner, and of course William Shatner!"

It's amazing how the name seems to dissolve into incoherence when you read it over and over again. Much like the man himself.

As for the new Trek movie, I don't care much about spoilers. I'll see it for two reasons. The big reason is to see Leonard Nimoy play Spock for what could be the very last time. The small reason is to enjoy Simon Pegg.

john zeock

This

Postby john zeock » Mon May 04, 2009 11:19 am

Name: john zeock
Josh- I'm on your side on this. I can't believe I'm coming to Shatner's defense even a little bit but I would also bring up his work in The Andersonville Trial, The Brothers Karamazov (wasn't that the movie where Harpo, Groucho and Chico go into the nursing home and take away the little old ladies ?)and that he did scenes with Spencer Fucking Tracy in Judgement At Nuremberg ?

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”