Pavilion Digest: May 2009

A plethora of perplexing pavilion posts. The Pavilion Annex thread, the Pavilion Discussion thread, and monthly digests of all messages from the Pavilion.

Moderator: Moderator

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sat May 30, 2009 8:03 am

Name: Frank Church
Source: unca20090603.htm
Dapper suit there Harlan. Gore Vidal would approve.

Josh is a good friends. Having connections is a good thing at last.

markabaddon

Postby markabaddon » Sat May 30, 2009 8:47 am

Name: Mark Goldberg
Josh, you are a great friend, what you did for Harlan was a mitzvah and I thank you for sharing those pictures with us.

A-T C, while I have not seen the comments to which you refer, I have looked on occasion in the Talkbacks and usually end up feeling like I need a shower afterward. The comments posted on that site are especially vicious, which I find odd considering that the guys who run it are about the nicest people you would ever meet

shagin

Postby shagin » Sat May 30, 2009 9:19 am

Name: shagin
A-TC: Crossed fingers, warm fuzzies, and the hope that everything works out for the best.

shagin

MichaelRapoport

Postby MichaelRapoport » Sat May 30, 2009 1:42 pm

Name: Michael Rapoport
A-TC: Fingers hereby crossed. Your father is in my thoughts, and I'm sure in the thoughts of everyone here.

Harlan: I will put a packet in the mail to you (via HERC) in the next day or two with the Star Trek-sculpture ad, an assortment of DWST reviews and ... something else I think you'll be interested in.

David Loftus

an array of topics

Postby David Loftus » Sat May 30, 2009 2:08 pm

Name: David Loftus
JOSH:

GREAT photos of the old -- uh, I mean -- The Man.

Our second and final performance of "Plan 9 From Outer Space" last night was a smash. The old Hollywood Theatre was nearly filled, the music was fantastic, and we voice actors rocked. The one drawback of a project like this (lip-synching dialogue to a movie) was that you couldn't hold for laughs, so there were a number of times when the audience was roaring and my or somebody else's followup line got completely deluged.

The new original score (string quartet and various electronica) is truly wonderful. Often very witty. We're all hoping to get at least an audio recording of last night's show. The composer told me the performance was taped and he's going to try to fit the audio to the video and see if it works, away from an audience and outside a movie house.

He said he's going to score an old Western next, but after that may come the 1939 Fleischer animation of "Gulliver's Travels," for which he'll need our talents again. Oboy.

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat May 30, 2009 2:08 pm

Name: Rob
Regardless of ANYTHING one might say about Bill Maher, the man surpassed himself this week on HBO's Real Time with his monologue about American Greed, the commodity redefined and repackaged by the Reagan era, and blindly perpetuated by Conservatives since then...at our de facto discredit as a "good people".

It was absolutely goddamn brilliant! SO eloquently on-the-mark!

I've become a STOUT Bill Maher fan!

robochrist

Postby robochrist » Sat May 30, 2009 2:19 pm

Name: Rob
...and, no, I DON'T mean "STAUNCH". When I say "stout", I mean STOUT!

Chuck Messer

Postby Chuck Messer » Sat May 30, 2009 2:57 pm

Name: Chuck Messer
Adam-Troy Castro:

I know where you're coming from. I hope your dad comes out of this without any lasting effects. Good thoughts sent his way and yours.

Chuck

Shane Shellenbarger

Pixar's "Up", as in Two Thumbs Up.

Postby Shane Shellenbarger » Sat May 30, 2009 3:47 pm

Name: Shane Shellenbarger
Laurie and I saw "UP" this morning and we loved it!

Sure, there was a willing suspension of disbelief, but this film contained many of the same tender and heart rending moments which made "Paladin of the Lost Hour", "It's A Wonderful Life", and "Day of the Dolphin" exceptional. Laurie and I both cried during the first ten minutes and we choked up several times through out the film. And we laughed. . .we howled during several spots in the film. This is a film about life and living, death and dying, and all of the ups and downs in between.

The voice cast is wonderful with Ed Asner as the curmudgeonly Carl Fredricksen, Christopher Plummer as the megalomanical Charles Muntz, and newcomer Jordan Nagai as Russell. Co-director and screenplay writer, Bob Peterson also supplies the voices of dogs,Dug and Alpha.

We both recommend "UP" for ages 9 to 99.

http://disney.go.com/inside/mainattract ... index.html

Alan

Email campaign to sway the outcome with thousands of voices:

Postby Alan » Sat May 30, 2009 4:04 pm

Name: alan
Not intended or suggested.Just me and my subscription voiced outrage.Second only to Fangoria not including a new interview with HE in retrospective of recent.But looking back would have been kinda cool if the Editor came in after M-Day found system over load with kindly criticism ending with "but we love ya'".
B-Day greetings.

Roger Gjovig

Postby Roger Gjovig » Sat May 30, 2009 5:28 pm

Name: Roger Gjovig
My dvd of Dreams With Sharp Teeth was received and has been watched completely through the first time. This is a fascinating work about Harlan which I enjoyed immensely. Thank you Harlan for allowing this to be done warts and all.

diane bartels

Postby diane bartels » Sat May 30, 2009 10:15 pm

Name: diane bartels
Hi, Harlan and all folk here. Glad you had a good day. Honest Native Americans, guys, I mess up my siblings BDs half the time. Just seem to know my best friend's Monica's and Harlan's well. Monica's because she had the foresight to be born on the fourth(which is my date) a mere five months after me. And Harlan's because back in the day, when I was youngerer than now, I had a thing for astrology, and his was a BD I looked up. I mean like 20 years ago, when I was young and my heart was an open book, etc. Older now, not necessarily wiser. Nor yet a better speller.
On a serious note, ATC, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your father. Crossing fingers of both hands and feet as well.
The reason I was on Gabriel Byrne's web site t'other day, (now reverting to ancestor's Irish accent,) I finally saw In Treatment, the HBO series, and I love it. Does anyone else here watch? Any opinions anyone wants to share?
Finally, Barney, David, Harlan, anyone else, HELP!!!! Am still reading Brothers Karamazov, but am having really hard time. There are parts, sometimes whole chapters that are beautiful and enthralling; but there are these other whole chapters that just set my teeth on edge. And I am having a really rough go at relating to or liking any of the characters. Want to slap most of them silly. Think I might like the father best. So what? Do I like have no reading skill now? Was that bump on the head in March just the one too many? I told my doc brain surgery was not good for one. Seriously, I'm not kidding. If I can't get through this book, and find redeeming factors in it, I think maybe I should forget the whole writing thing. Maybe the teaching of literature thing too. Moby Dick was difficult, but at least I liked it, the characters, could sorta grasp the symbolism and stuff. Not working with BK. Loved Crime and Punishment.
Anyways, best love and wishes to all. Diane.
Please let us know about your dad, ATC. DB

Adam-Troy

Various

Postby Adam-Troy » Sun May 31, 2009 8:04 am

Name: Adam-Troy Castro
Thanks, folks. My Dad is still out of it, but news is encouraging.

HARLAN, SUSAN, ERIK: I deeply hesitate to report this, but I just heard Judi screaming in rage from the next room, as the Sundance title card for the next feature, "Dreams With Sharp Teeth," included the subtitle, "Robin Williams + Neil Gaiman = Trekkies." Owwwww.

Mitch Keith

Dreams With Sharp Teeth

Postby Mitch Keith » Sun May 31, 2009 8:44 am

Name: Mitch Keith
G'day folks, just wanted to jump in for a few and say that my copy of Dreams arrived from Amazon yesterday. I waited a whole 24 hours to watch it, just so I could share the experience with my wife. Well, now that I've watched it, I've come to a starting realization: Harlan Ellison is my Wife!!!!!!!!!
I knew fate had something strange in store for me, it had to. I've been a fan as far back as High School. I've read the Man and listened to the Man; once I even saw the Man in person and am pretty sure he made use of the meeting in a Scifi Buzz commentary several weeks later. I've loved the Man, pretty much held him in as much esteem as any human can hold another, but it was only after watching the documentary that I became aware that my wife is everything that I've loved and admired in Harlan all those years!
Egads, what does this mean for me now? She's vocal and good-hearted and opinionated and viciously smart, always fighting for the underdog, never taking no for an answer, always believing that there is an answer and a Way! When Harlan mentions his 'toolbox', my wife about fell off the sofa! "That's one of my words!", she said. Yes indeed, they are so much alike. Now the hard part: after seeing Harlan topless and with a gigantic goiter, how can I ever look at her the same way again? I'll just have to turn off the lights, pull up the covers and pray her neck doesn't brush up against me in the dark. Oh, by the way, the documentary was all I'd hoped for and more. Much like the Man himelf. Loveya Harlan.

FrankChurch

Postby FrankChurch » Sun May 31, 2009 9:44 am

Name: Frank Church
A joke for the room. This may send me to hell:

I now have doubts that Christ was in fact a carpenter. He never nailed anything, but later got nailed.

Return to “The Art Deco Dining Pavilion”